Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC's new generation 2 projectors announced

Author Topic: NEC's new generation 2 projectors announced
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2009 12:54 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not a whole lotta info, but NEC announced a couple of weeks ago their upcoming models for early 2010 based on the new TI generation 2 electronics and optional integrated media blocks.

http://necdisplay.com/NewsAndMediaCenter/PressRelease/?pressrelease=2115b87f-e867-4066-9a5e-22aa3c16db62

quote:
NEC Display Solutions of America, a leading provider of commercial LCD displays and projectors, announced today three new digital cinema projectors, providing three brightness level options to match screen sizes up to 105 feet wide. These affordable models build on NEC's strength and reliability in digital cinema, and give more options to theater owners looking to upgrade cinema projector capabilities to digital.
The new projectors can be seen in Suite K at ShowEast 2009, the motion picture theater industry convention held October 27-29 at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Fla.

The Digital Cinema Projector Series models meet DCI (Digital Cinema Initiatives) requirements, so exhibitors are prepared to capitalize on current opportunities, as well as position themselves for future growth. The new, optional NEC internal MediaBlock and discreet NEC Local Storage Server provide a complete and compelling industry solution for showing digital movies and deliver many benefits.

For example, the MediaBlock can be built into the projector as another integrated option available to exhibitors. NEC simplifies the connection and delivers control of the MediaBlock from the projector. A cinema ad can be directly integrated into the NEC MediaBlock/Server solution.

In addition, NEC offers easy maintenance to minimize downtime through a single maintenance window for both projectors and the MediaBlock/Local Storage Server. The solution is able to self-diagnose for easy, timely trouble-shooting. NEC also has created higher strict security and eliminated any potential trouble caused by the interface between the projector and existing screen server (sub-titles/communication problem).

Alternatively, the Digital Cinema Projector Series works with existing cinema servers via a legacy board.

"As exhibitors upgrade to digital cinema, they demand high brightness and great customer care. With NEC's 24/7/365 support, these models really meet their needs," said Jim Reisteter, General Manager, Digital Cinema Division, NEC Display Solutions. "NEC gives theater owners everything they require to complete their digital cinema installations - from financing to model variety. These new NEC projectors stand apart from their competitors for their reliability, elegance and ease-of-use, and together offer the flexibility needed to suit all screen sizes."

The new projectors include the NC1200C at 9,000 lumens of brightness for screen sizes of up to 46 feet wide, the NC2000C at 17,000 lumens for screens up to 65 feet wide, and the ultra-bright NC3200S at 31,000 lumens for screens up to 105 feet wide. The advanced DLP Cinema® light engine provides contrast ratios up to 2200:1, which enable better reproduction of detail in dark scenes.

Sophisticated dual-airflow design minimizes dust, and segregates the bulb from other internal components for better long-term serviceability and reliability. NEC is the only projector manufacturer to provide this state-of-the-art dual-airflow design for protection from dust and oil contaminants. The lamp-cooling airflow is separated from the chassis-cooling air flow, which prevents drawing in dust and oil from enclosure panel gaps. Only the lamp has a blower fan.

In addition, all three models are engineered for long-term use, with simplified lamp and parts replacement. These NEC projectors include new Texas Instruments Series 2 electronics and are designed for easy maintenance to minimize downtime, including quicker replacement of parts experiencing trouble, and easy, timely trouble-shooting by self-diagnosis. The projectors are highly reliable, performing admirably in harsh operating environments found in projector booths/rooms/theaters.

Moreover, operator convenience is enhanced and improved with the new NEC digital cinema projectors. A new cosmetic design, fresh keypad layout, and new user software design mean fast set-up and simple fine-tuning, making it easy for any projectionist to operate. A soft-edged cabinet design and brilliant colors enhance the overall operation of the models.

The features translate into a number of exhibitor benefits, including lower overall maintenance costs, reduced filter usage, and lower consumable and operating costs.

Combining advanced DLP Cinema projectors with reliable multiplex and screen servers, NEC's Digital Cinema Projector Series offers the most comprehensive digital cinema solution on the market today. These models enable theaters to deliver stunning digital images regardless of screen size, while simplifying theater management and reducing costs.

"These new digital cinema projectors are part of a complete family of offerings addressing every need that will include 4K technology in the future," Reisteter said.

The NC1200C, NC2000C and NC3200S will be available in early 2010. For more information about NEC's digital cinema projectors, please visit http://necdisplay.com/Products/SubClass/?subclass=Projectors.

They also have an on-going financing option for a 3D-enabled projector until Dec 31st that you can check out in the link www.necdisplay.com/3Dpromo

This comes to compete with Chritie's new offerings (starting year's end) and upcoming Barco's new models.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking forword to the NEC line up as long as they keep one of the models similar to the present NEC 1600. I think it offers the most bang for the buck out of all the D-Cinema projectors out there on the market. For a mid-sized projector it certainly has the widest usable lamp range out of all the projectors sold today.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-08-2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno...the DP2000 Barco and the soon to be DP20-2, I think is their naming scheme, takes from 4KW lamps on down...that is a pretty far spread.

Steve

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-08-2009 07:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is 9000 lumens sufficient for a 46-foot wide screen (assuming that the image fills the entire screen)?

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2009 09:36 PM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the New NEC S2 projectors are heavily based on 1600. I am also happy about this as the NEC 1600 has been extremely solid for us. We have not had a problem with any we have installed.

The only real issue has been some state-flow processes connected with power failures. To help improve recovery time under very specific circumstances. The NEC engineer watched, understood and says it will be improved in future releases. What you want to hear.

Still, the S1 NEC, as a deign, could be cleaner and more elegant as seen in Christie kit. I expect this to be the case in the S2. I expect this to be the case for every vendor for S2. They have all had plenty of time to work out issues and design more effective projectors. (Maintenance and performance wise).

In real terms, all DCI vendors now make good kit. If asking my advice, which is better, I would not say any one was notably better. You should base your decision on which company supplies better support etc. And really thats depends on your region.

James

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2009 09:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea but Steve... At least one can get the parts they may need for NEC projectors... Barco... well sometimes very very iffy. I can tell you of one large and rather important chain that has given up on Barco because of that very reason.

James,
On the NEC just like the Christie projectors you need to run the electronics on a UPS. NEC has a mod available to be able to split the 1600s AC input like Christie has done so you can do just that. The most you should see during a power bump is lamp goes out then comes right back on. How good this is for the lamp is debatable... hot striking a short gap lamp is doo-doo. If you have a location with lots of power bumps then a whole system UPS is almost a mandatory thing.

Mark

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 10:45 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some preliminary specs.

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starting to look more and more like standard 'Digital Projection' models as time goes on! Control panel looks like a good improvement.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I like the control panel on the NEC 1600 the best. The control panel on the Christies especially is way way overkill.

Mark

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 08:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, how would the lamp come back on? When our power flickers the lamp on our 1600s just turn off. Then the projector goes into error mode saying "lamp unlit". I don't think that the electronics part of the projector is going out. How would putting a backup on the electronics half keep the lamp on, or turn it back on automatically? We've had this problem on a couple of Friday nights during the summer. It gave me a mini heart attack the first time when all of the lamps turned off in 10 of our 1600s. If you have a solution, please let me know!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the electronics won't regester a fault when there is a power bump because it's behind the UPS and doesn't see it. A non-UPS'd projector will typically extinguish it's lamp at any sort of major power bump and with the Christie ZX you then have to wait for a cool down period (which in theory you should) or re-boot the projector to be able to do a hot re-strike. You're still down at least 3 to 5 min for the re-boot! The rectifier which is not on the UPS may momentarily go out and then should come right back on. You also need the server on the same UPS so it needs to be a fairly decent one... not one of the el-cheapo under the desk type. A decent rack mount unit... I prefer APC myself. There is a mod available from Strong to split the AC incomming so you can use a UPS. The 1600 originally did not have that facility. Christie's ZX and SB have had it from day one. Just about all installs I've seen and or done now have UPS's on them as described.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: