Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christies 2k/4k upgradable DLP machines...

Author Topic: Christies 2k/4k upgradable DLP machines...
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-27-2009 06:15 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2k/4k options, up to 31 kLumen, 0,98" and 1.2" versions, 4k is 1.38". Only 1.2" models upgradable to 4k. FullFormat 2k tripleflash. Optional Integrated MediaBlock, motorized lamp and lens adjustment...

http://www.christiedigital.com/AMEN/Products/ChristieSolariaSeries.htm

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2009 08:42 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any word on when the 2k versions will be available for sale? Also, how is the pricing relative to the current generation 2k pricing?

Any word on when the server vendors will have media blocks available to work with these? I would hope that if you are buying a 4k upgradeable projector that you'd be able to have a 2k/4k media block from the get go so that the only upgrade cost would be the light engine.

I'm also surprised that the 1.2" models are so easily upgradable to 4k since we have now learned that the 4k DLP chips are 1.38". How much of the optical path can be reused when the imagers are 15% bigger?

The 4k should definitely be brighter. I hope they do a non-flash 3D system with them like Sony. If they designed a non-flash version that used the entire chip somehow (either using anamorphics or splitting the chip into quarters and using 2 quarters for each eye), they might be able to get 8 - 10 fl on 3D.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-29-2009 11:04 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie Germany told me 2k from next march, 4k in 2011 - probably 4k machines as well als 4k upgrades.

no pricing yet, also no details yet about the IMB.

'Jan 2010 Solaria 2220 (2k, ZX successor, 4k upgradable )
March 2010 Solaria 2230 ( SB/XB successor, 4k upgradable )
April 2010 Solaria 2210 ( M successor ,not upgradable )'

According to Christie, 'not just the imagers, but the whole lightengine is replaced with the upgrade, which can be done on site and lasts no longer than 10min.'

Lens I haven't heard anything about. I would think they are constructed to deal with both imager sizes, and if you choose the zoom factor carefully for the 2k, it may be used with 1.2" and 1.38" on the same screen size. However, maybe smaller shift range after the upgrade. I'm sure Christie will comment on these upgrade aspects in time so you can choose the proper upgradable system.

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2009 11:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
10 minutes, eh? [Roll Eyes]

Dolby's DSS200 server has a 4k media block in it. Doremi also has a 4k media block option.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2009 12:07 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't mention though the time need to realing everything
[Big Grin]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-29-2009 12:59 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably he was really only telling about the LightEngine swap, not to complete a full upgrade ;-) But who cares anyway as long as that can happen on-site.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-29-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you'll see all the manufacturers od DLP cinema gear going towards a convertable system. Christie will be forst because it's in theor contract with T.I. they they get to be first at any new stuff released by T.I.

Mark

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heheh, Mark it seems you have an I/O error. [Razz]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 01:04 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Barco also is bringing generation 2 projectors early 2010 and there are words it might even be out in January! Barco will be using Doremi media block I think. Any idea what Christie or Nec will be using?

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEC will be selling its own proprietary IMB as an option.

I don't know yet if the new projectors will be able to accomodate third party IMBs, but I doubt that. They will be pushing their own system, which makes sense: a single control point and a single interface...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-09-2009 08:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea behind the media block thing is to standardize! I believe the USL media block shown at ShowEast fits and should work with Christie and Barcos and should work with NEC.

Steve

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2009 08:10 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an exhibitor, I'd like that: and I'm sure that third-party IMB will work with all projectors just like current servers do. They'll just have a different form factor and connection.

But when it comes to *total* integration (same UI for both player and projector, transport controls on the side of the new NECs, for example), I think that will be possibile only with one selected IMB... in particular if the same manifacturer can make *both* projectors and IMBs.

Again, I'd rather be wrong on that, 100% cross-compatibility for *all* functions would be helpful... but from a commercial standpoint, forcing exhibitors to choose one particular IMB it's perfectly logical.

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 05:32 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the TI S2 development is the creation of modular blocks that can be placed within the FIPS media block. They are suppose to be standard so any 4K media block "should" work in any TI projector.

4K has really created the NEED to integrate the media block into the FIPS part of the projector as there is no easy and secure way to move a 4K signal from a DCI player external of the projector to the internal FIBS part of the projector. Much easier to put it IN the FIPS part of the projector.

The only real issue here is that the secure media block is really the CORE of a SMS. If it came with a projector (Which ultimatly I feel it should) and the interface to the media block was an open standard (Which currently it is not) we would be in a much better position.

I need to spend some time reading over the tech pages I have on this, but this is my initial indication of how it all works.

Interesting to not, the S2 come with quite a few SLOTS that media blocks can drop into. So you can have the backwards compatible CINELINK2-2K block, typical YUV/RGB/dedicated-HDSDI on top of what a S1 projector has. In theary anyway.

S2 looks to be a much better design, but then again you would hope so, they had plenty of time to do S2.

Not knocking S1, for a V1, it is extremely good. Just a little V1-ish [Wink]

James

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: