Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP 3000 and HDCP

Author Topic: Barco DP 3000 and HDCP
Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2009 08:52 AM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,

I have several DP 3000, DP 2000, 1500 and 1200. Of course, sometimes customers want to plug their computer to the projector. Sometimes, they want to show a DVD or a Blu Ray disc.

My problem is : with this all HDCP thing, i can't use HDMI or any digital connection. The result is a black image. So, i have to use the ASC 2048 and use composite, VGA or component link.

I have one question : is it possible to make a projector "HDCP compliant" thanks to an update for example ? Many thanks for your answer.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-23-2009 09:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is that you can definitely make your DP2000, DP1500 and DP1200 HDCP compliant. Order R9856280 from your Barco Dealer. It is a board that needs to be installed in the card cage.

I'm not sure if that board works in the DP3000...they never listed it as such. The current DP3000 (as well as the other Barco projectors) IS HDCP compliant so there probably is an upgrade path for older units.

Steve

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2009 11:14 AM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve for this very precise answer.

Best regards,

Frédérick.

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2009 07:55 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean it's not HDCP-compliant out of the box? That's kinda chintzy.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-26-2009 09:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current ones are.

These are PROFESSIONAL projectors intended for DCINEMA use. BluRay and other sources are consumer and hence the HDCP issue. Christie was the first out of the chute with HDCP compliance...then Barco and NEC is bringing up the rear (the 1600 is HDCP compliant IF you use the special version of the MM2000 that fits inside it.

Note too, Sony's projectors have JUST started to become HDCP compliant too.

It isn't as easy as you might think and each HDCP compliant device must pay to the HDCP group.

What is silly is that HDCP devices are being used on DCinema equipment with any regularity that it is an issue for most cinemas. There should be a "pro" way of doing this.

Steve

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2009 10:42 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm feeding our 1600 with BluRay with no problem so it certainly is HDCP compliant.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-27-2009 06:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are feeding it directly...with no MM2000...then you are getting lucky that your BluRay titles are not utilizing their HDCP yet...but they will and Sat/Cable stuff definitely is doing so on some channels.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2009 07:07 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is now very intriguing.
I'm feeding my 1600 from an Onkyo 707 receiver which requires a HDCP monitor as output. I tried with a non-HDCP monitor - nothing. But the 1600 had no problem.

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2009 07:01 PM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any DCI projector with a GORE cinema board is HDCP compliment. (HDCP was supported by TI about the same time so it the easy way to tell.)

James

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2009 12:11 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just taken delivery of a NEC NC1600C-A.
This is part of the log from TI certification information reader:

Interface Board Type = Series-1SK[HDCP] (Type 5)

So yes, I can definitely confirm that this machine *is* HDCP compliant, although for some reason this is not advertised by NEC.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: