Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony Servers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony Servers
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-20-2009 07:20 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which server does Sony install with their projectors? Anyone had a hand on one yet?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2009 05:29 PM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's their own brand server called SMS

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-21-2009 06:03 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know wether they are obligatory with Sony Projectors, or can you choose from other servers as well, as long as they can control the Sonys?

- Carsten

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-21-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain Sony projectors only work with Sony servers. They even have a special flavor of Real D for 3D projection. Very proprietary. Maybe even more so than Dolby.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-21-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say that I've only seen them with their own "Media Blocks" However, they DO sport the traditional dual HDSDI inputs as well as a pair of DVI inputs, just like the DLP projectors. The DVI inputs are now HDCP compliant too.

Steve

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2009 11:19 PM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Sony have proprietary SMS's. This is a big problem. I have voiced my issue with this to Sony. As a cinema owner, it is unreasonable to lock ones self in like that. For example, imagine not being able to buy a tire for your car from anyone but who you purchased the car from. Its not reasonable for a long term purchase. The HUGE cinema chains, they can probably get away with this.. but in general no-please.
Sony did make under the table noise that this may change. Probably will as has to.

I expect them to fall in line with the new TI internal media block design. Ie making it possible to plug in the new series 2 in-projector media blocks.

This was all inevitable as there is no 4K signal path possible like current cinelink2/2k implementation.

James

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2009 12:27 AM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So all you have for Alt. Content on a 4k is DVI? No component or HDMI?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-22-2009 06:36 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The DVI inputs are now HDCP compliant too."

That means HDMI. If you don't care for a simple cable to adopt it.

Sonys projector base has a modular input stage, you can connect whatever you want to it. Wether a component module is supplied with the standard Cinema models, I don't know, but sure it's possible.

Maybe Sony will allow different servers once 4k playout is becoming more common on all servers.

I know german cinema owners and projectionist still have strong objections against Sony because of the SDDS/support issue. You can read that between the lines everytime Sony projectors are being talked about. Thus, same objections against proprietary servers.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-22-2009 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinema version does not have changeable input modules like the A/V version. If you want to expand any DCinema projector's inputs to "Traditional" A/V input you will need a suitable scaler. Barco's ACS2048 seems to be the best, by far. It takes, HD/SDI, VGA, composite, component, DVI/HDMI...is HDCP compliant, outputs 2K at 12-bit (twin-link) and offers some pretty powerful resizing to take full advantage of a 2K imager.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-22-2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Maybe Sony will allow different servers once 4k playout is becoming more common on all servers.

Actually I believe over the next several years you will see servers as we know them disappear in favor of the media block system. The new generation of DLP projectors that will be emerging this quarter of the year will be able to accept the media block system. It should greatly simplify things.

MArk

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-22-2009 04:23 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand it that the whole decryption scheme will be running on the media block and that the encrypted content of the DCP is more or less directly streamed to it. Do we already know what kind of signal this will be? I guess HD-SDI is not suitable for this kind of 'data' link. Gigabit-Ethernet could already impose a bottleneck? 10GE?

Sure it needs to be something that can travel over a larger cable distance?

Standards?

- Carsten

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2009 04:37 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess most if not all media blocks will have some kind of secure on-board storage to buffer a playlist or two. In that case, 10GigE from TMS will be more than enough, you don't have to stream every show to every screen.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-22-2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-digitalcinema/mkt-digitalcinemaprojectionsystems/product-LMT100/
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-digitalcinema/mkt-digitalcinemaprojectionsystems/product-LMT200/

Well, with onboard storage, what's the big difference between a Media Block and a 'small' server? These sony devices seem to drive this idea a bit towards the absurd.
But then it's Sony ;-)

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-22-2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being able to use off the shelf servers to stream the data to the media block is an advantage from many aspects. You can also keep them in one "clean" climate controled room. There are places in the world where normal rack mounted all in one servers as we know them now will plug up with dirt fairly quickly. Also, having to send Dolby's show player back for a simple fan change out is hardly convenient. At least the new one isn't this way. Fortunately I don't know of any other servers where you have to send em in for such a simple repair.
Gb Ethernet should suffice for the data lines between each server and media block.

Mark

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2009 04:57 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Dolby, but the latest Kodak (which is still basically a small IBM server) has a secure JPEG2000 decoder board that you are not supposed to tamper with... every other part is field serviceable and even user replaceable, at least that's what they say. Same concept as a media block, just in a separate enclosure.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: