Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » FIPS thingy

Author Topic: FIPS thingy
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-19-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone direct me to some information towards this FIPS 140-2 -> 140-3 upgrade/change, that is said to be happening in the near future? Some seem to suggest that all current DCI machines loose their DCI certification then and won't be able to play DCI content anymore. Well, I doubt it, but what's this fuzz about?

I know this document http://www.dcimovies.com/FIPS-Informative-Announcement-March-2009.pdf
but I can't see in how far this is a threat to existing equipment? Do we really expect the studios to kill the digital rollout just now when it's taking up pace by declaring existing equipment obsolete? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2009 10:49 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, there is no equipment anywhere that has any kind of DCI certification - there is a test plan to prove DCI compliancy, but as far as I know no manufacturer has announced that their equipment has passed the test.

FIPS 140-2 level 3 security is required by DCI - but NIST is phasing out FIPS 140-2 and moving to FIPS 140-3 . . . if I'm not mistaken the change is a simple update of the standard and after a short period they won't test for 140-2, only 140-3. What it means for equipment is that if a server manufacturer already has FIPS 140-2 certification they are OK as long as they don't have to recertify, any manufacturer that applies (?) for FIPS after the deadline will have to certify to 140-3 - this could mean slightly higher requirements than the original DCI intent of 140-2.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-20-2009 07:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you will find that Dolby's servers have indeed been tested and passed.

Steve

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2009 08:04 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know DoReMi, Dolby and GDC (?) have gotten their "media block" cards through FIPS certification; but last I knew the actual DCI certification testing had not truly begun, or at least there has been no official news put out about DCI certification recently.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-20-2009 08:20 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that german Fraunhofer institute was working with DCI on a DCI specification test procedure. I don't know wether they are the only ones dealing with it or how far this went as of today.

http://www.c10n.info/archives/368
http://www.dcimovies.com/compliance/index.tt2

This is old, but the only information I found in english language.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: