Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony SRX-R220 Playlist building.

Author Topic: Sony SRX-R220 Playlist building.
Jesse Montoya
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2009 03:39 AM      Profile for Jesse Montoya   Email Jesse Montoya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week, my theater installed our first Sony SRX-R220.
However, NO ONE from corporate (Regal) or Strong technical services knew how the hell to build a show play list.

Im having a problem attaching cues to the content.
Instead were having to add up the trailer run times and adding that total to the features run time to figure out feature/ end cues.

It works, it just seems silly that it would be that inconvenient.

Anybody work with a sony yet?
There has to be a better way.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2009 12:50 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're referring to mainly bringing the lights up at the start of credits, correct? Since the Sony software doesn't have a feature to insert a cue with timing based on only one clip (this is when I was using it awhile back), it is a pain to get that one cue timed just right, but the rest should be fine... unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Jesse Montoya
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2009 03:56 AM      Profile for Jesse Montoya   Email Jesse Montoya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything in the command tab.
(feature cue, credits, end etc)

Also, has anyone found a way to access the commands tab from the SMS desktop? If i right click the command row on the timeline, it gives me an option to add commands, but it doesn't let you edit where it sits in the playlist.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse,

I am going to send you a PM in regards to this.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 06:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jesse Montoya
or Strong technical Services knew how the hell to build a show play list.

...now, that's too funny - they put the equipment in and get out of the plex to leave the operators hanging....

..at least, our STS tech showed us how to do a playlist with our GDC servers ....

Guess Sony has their own proprietary servers then ... Someone at Sony didn't follow through with thorough training on their stuff then...

Not a good business practice...

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 09:28 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can help you out there. Check your private messages.
--dom

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2009 01:06 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't realize I was replying to myself...please delete post above -- forum won't let me edit that one.

[ Edited after having time to sit down and write instructions ]

Check your private messages here, I can be of further assistance. My e-mail is in there.

Now...

There are a few ways to do what you want.
For ease of list building in the future you could make up smaller SPL's.
It's important to know that SPLS can currently be made 3 different ways. With SMS-C, TMS, and the PJT.
I prefer the PJT interface myself.

Anyway, make up a list and call it something like "program start" or "cue 1".
This list should have 5 seconds of black at 00:00:00 and all your commands starting at 00:00:00 and going up from there. Note: you can only have 1 command at the same time offset if editing on the PJT. TMS and SMS-C will allow it though.

Start with your lights half/down cue to give your dimmer time to come down before you hit the screen.
Next add in your sound, slide projector off, or whatever else you need.

Next make up a playlist for your trailers. Call it "feature title trailers" if you like.

Next make up a playlist for your feature. Call it "Feature - main" or something.

At 00:00:00 of this playlist put your lights down command (if applicable). I also like to put a sound to digital, slide off, etc. in it just in case for some reason the film has to be shown without trailers.
The DCP info sheet that came with your hard drive and was probably e-mailed to you with the KDM will tell you where to put your lights up command, add it to the playlist as indicated on the info sheet.

Lastly, make up a playlist called "cue 2" or "show end".

This should contain your lights up full, sound to ns, slide projector on, whatever else applies to show end such as douser on or lamp off, depending on your policies.

Finally, assemble the whole playlist as follows, call it something like "feature title - show":
cue 1/show start
trailer playlist
feature playlist
cue 2/show end

Now you may re-use your show start and show end cues whenever you like.

Don't be afraid to monkey with it. They're pretty robust. Just don't start screwing with projector alignment or function memory...

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2009 08:57 AM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The above will work, but Regal already has all the cues and everything "made" so it is really simple to build it on a Sony.

Check your theatre web help. All the instructions on how to build are listed there step by step.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: