Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Are the Toy Story films worth seeing in 3-D? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Are the Toy Story films worth seeing in 3-D?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-03-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have alway enjoyed both of the TOY STORy movies and have them on DVD and had watched them many times. As you all know Disney and Pixar just released them in 3-D yesterday and was wondering if they are worth seeing in 3-D. Many of you felt UP was just fine in 2-D and if this is also true with the Toy Story films, I will skip it and save $10.25 it would cost me to to see them in 3-D.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2009 08:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is very excited about the 3-D release. My daughters are just looking for a good time no matter what they do with Mom and Dad.

Ironically, since the local Carmike operation was sold to our company last year and the digital systems removed in favor of returning to film . . . we just don't know were to go to see it.

Personally, 2-D is good enough for me.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the press screening last weekend. The 3D is subtle over all, but very effective. If you like the two films, you'll love the double feature. They play off each other very well and there's a cute intermission clock in between the two films.

Luke Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2009 10:33 PM      Profile for Luke Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed them when I screened them, however I was a big fan of them the first time around. However I do not believe the 3D effect adds much to the viewing since it was not inteneded to be 3D in it's original conception. It did not have any of the classic jump into your lap and slap you in the face type effects that I have seen in other 3D pictures such as Meatballs a few weeks back.

Don't get me wrong the depth that is added to the overall picture presentation is pretty amazing, but I'm not sure I would have wanted to pay $13 for it. They basically took an amazing product and added depth to it and get the word out that Toy Story 3 is coming this spring.

Fun, but not impressive.

-LUKE

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2009 10:52 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my answer before seeing them:

They are worth seeing on the big screen, period.

I don't like 3D, and if I had the choice to see them in 2D on the big screen, I would.

I'm taking my 5 year old daughter tomorrow. I'll give you my post-screening answer after that.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-03-2009 11:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The intro scene to Toy Story 2 is one of my listening tests whenever the sound is adjusted in any auditorium. That's right, setting the sound up by the numbers and just walking away without doing listening tests is wrong and immoral. With Toy Story 2, I am very familiar with it and how it sounds, so after tuning I use it to make any tweaks or whatnot. That is the extent of my interest of seeing these movies in 3D... to hear how other theaters sound in comparison.

Beyond that, I am content with the DVDs, though would definitely prefer Blu-ray.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 01:12 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah-HA....so the opening scene of TOY STORY II that was missing from the print they shipped me is in YOUR tool box, eh, Joe?!

I am a 3D freak so, it's no secret that I am happy to see any 3D film, but to tell you the truth, I have had just about enough 3D cartoons to last a long time. 3D animation has just been too over saturated; I need to see a few REAL people in 3D. I opted to see FINAL DESTINATION Friday instead of the TOY STORY(S). It really was refreshing to see live human beings for a change. I must say that the RealD 3D in FD was stunningly effective, albeit dark to the point of being annoying in the night scenes.

Now that Home 3D Video is just around the corner, no way Disney will not release the TOY STORY(s) I & II on BluRay, so Joe, you will get your wish. Indeed, no doubt they will release every single one of the previously released 3D cartoons to home 3D video. I for one will get most of them and FINAL DESTINATION as well.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-04-2009 05:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toy Story II was in Surround-EX (I don't recall if the original was). Are they in Surround-EX on this 3D release?

Vern Dias
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2009 11:02 AM      Profile for Vern Dias   Author's Homepage   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Now that Home 3D Video is just around the corner
I don't know if you have seen Panasonics BD 3D process... I have, both at Panasonic in LA last October, and again at Cedia last month.

First of all, it is spectacular. The best 3D I have ever seen. However, the current version uses a 50HZ refresh rate. And it needs lots of lumens to compensate for the glasses.

In order to be a viable consumer product, it will require:

HDMI 1.4

Changes to the BD standards to allow the 3D format.

A new display, probably only available initially as an LCD display costing $$$$$$$.

A new BD player, also costing $$$$.

Shutter glasses for each viewer which consume batteries. (At the demo at Cedia, I would say 1/3 or more of the glasses had weak batteries, causing them to lose sync with the IR emitters, making the image unwatchable.)

IOW, a whole new setup for the home which currently excludes any form of projection, which unfortunately is the preferred display mechanism of most high end HT's. Maybe dual projectors, one for each eye image would be suitable if the individual eye images could be split out to 2 HDMI outputs???

So, yes it's coming.

The question, considering today's economic envirnment is when?

Initially the volume of 3D home installations will be much too low to allow any of the studios to make a profit from BD releases that are exclusively 3D. However, I would expect to see dual format BD's at some point in time. I just wouldn't want to guess when.

Vern

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 12:09 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Vern Dias
Shutter glasses
[thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Active Glasses. Hmm.. Well all systems have their plusses (except REALD) and minuses. I would choose X-Pand with active glasses any day if it means avoiding the dreaded Silver Screen.
Demetris

Vern Dias
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2009 01:54 PM      Profile for Vern Dias   Author's Homepage   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Vern Dias
However, I would expect to see dual format BD's at some point in time. I just wouldn't want to guess when.

I should qualify this, as there are already dual format BD's out there, however using anaglyph (which totaly destroys any reasonable color).

Vern

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 02:44 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anaglyphic is to 3D as dumpster foraging is to fine dining.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was fun to see these two classic PIXAR movies in their respective 3D versions and the up and coming "TS3" for next year.

Yet, sadly as with all re-releases, it just doesn't have the magic as if it was a new release.

Yet, one can tell that 3D is here to stay for the digital theatres - or should say 'have to stay' to keep digital alive..

-Monte

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't kno Monte, I see enough positive advantages to digital especially for big chains which have to deal with those multitudes of booth monkeys and all the problems associated with film, especially with the advent of what looks like might be a wholesale move to 4K, the resultant very impressive digtal screen image plus the simplicity of operation might just trump any of the now seemingly diminishing negatives. Even the higher operating costs may no longer be a factor if, in the long run, even that may not prove to be the case.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: