Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC air filter prices

Author Topic: NEC air filter prices
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-02-2009 07:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question to those who own the NEC Starus units - esp the 1600C units:

Just found out that a set of the four filters from STRONG hits the pocketbook of well over Three Franklins [Eek!] !

Wereas, the three filters for the 2500's cost just barely a Franklin..

And these are to be changed out per bulb change....

What the flip? A supply and demand sort of thing-why of the price differences?

Thus, can one do compressed air on the reverse side of these filters so one wouldn't have be gouged per bulb change?

thx

-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-02-2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the filter prices on all of the projectors to seem a bit pricey but then again...they are not necessarily standard sizes and thus the quantities are bound to be small. I've not heard about a filter changer per lamp change...more of an as needed basis. I have one theatre where one screen will clog its filter at least 3 times faster than the other theatres just due to where the projector is located in the air stream of the booth compared to the other screens.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are also usually HEPA type filters which again add to the cost, don't know if they are custom sized or not... The filters for Christie machines are far far less expensive... Let it be known that cheap initial cost is not an indication of actual operating cost. It pays to investigate all aspects of any piece of digital gear before purchasing.

You will often than not find that the projectors near the top of the stair way need to be changed more often. Wait till some of you install machines in theaters that lack proper popcorn machine ventilation... you get popcorn oil in the lamphouse... at least on Christie machines... THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING! Keep booth doors closed!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-04-2009 01:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie filters are not that cheap Mark and you typically need two...the main and the LAD...and either has to be bought in multiples.

Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 02:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Wait till some of you install machines in theaters that lack proper popcorn machine ventilation....
Oh Boy....which this 8plex that has two of these NEC's have - very poor popcorn machine ventilation .... Owner didn't even bother to put exhaust hoods over the poppers - just vent out into the lobby...

-Monte

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, in the old days that was a marketing trick. The boss in one theatre where I worked had the popper machine situated near the theatre entrance and would turn on a fan during intermission to blow the popcorn smell directly into the theatre. Very effective too, as I recall.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 10:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(gonna drift off-topic on this reply...)

Oh tell me about it. When I used to work in large, single screen houses with large lobbies and the popper dead center of the conc stand (usually a good ol' Manley Stadium Cascade popper), that thing would be roaring away that would smell up the entire place-both lobby and auditorium.

To where on summer days, we would leave the front doors open and get popcorn sales from passerbys when they got hold of the odor of freshly popped popcorn from a popper that could cook the corn right.

Yet, up in the attic on the way up to the fan rooms, you could see the results of all of that popcorn grease sticking to the sides of the motors, the blower wheel cages, the blower wheels themselves and even the outside air vents.

We had to change out the filters on the lobby AC units monthly and almost twice a year, power wash out the evaporator cores from being getting gunked up with that grease.

When you went into an old theatre and you could smell popcorn everywhere in the building, you knew the place was very successful in popcorn sales.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: