Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » M.D.I. 3D silver screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: M.D.I. 3D silver screen
David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2009 07:39 PM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone installed or used a M.D.I. 2.2gain silver screen from canada for 3D, in particular for RealD, and does it comply with RealD'S requirements.

Kind Regards,

David Stone.

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2009 08:29 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I knew the only screens RealD "approved" of were the MDI or Harkness (they also asked that we specifically said the screens were intended for RealD on the order to ensure we got the right coating). All of our RealD screens are Harkness.

I heard that Hurley has come up with a washable silver screen, but posts here mention issues with the surface; not to mention I don't think the Hurley is "approved" yet.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2009 01:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very very definitely stay away from the Hurley washable surface! What a splotchy piece of crap! I do however reccomending checking out the Big Sky washable surface which is brand brand new. I was talking to the gal from Big Sky who was at the Mountain West NATO convention and she said it had been tested and approved by Real-D and it acuaually surpassed their specs. As with any NEW product such as the Hurley and Big Sky be very leery until it's prooven itself. My beef with Hurley is they would not stand behind a very obviously defective product. When I was at CLACO we installed an 84 by 56 foot MDI silver at Zion Canyon and it was a very nice surface...

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-03-2009 09:41 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a few discussions about a year & a half or so ago with a tech from MDI who claimed that their 3D silver is lenticular and that's unique for the industry so far; lenticular silvers were abandoned around the time of the miltiplex construction. MDI's lenticular silver which makes a big difference (so he claimed) in eliminating or at least greatly reducing hotspots. What he said their goal was, was to make a truly dual purpose silver that can be used for 3D as well for 2D without the downside of the smooth surface silvers.

I would be interested in knowing if this is true or just hype. I know that Fox's original CinemaScope specification called for a curved silver lenticular screen (they called it the Miracle Mirror or something like that) because they wanted to compensate for the light loss. That lenticular surface and the curve mitigated the hot spot problem.

Last night my nephews dragged me to see FINAL DESTINATION and boy, the hot spot was pronounced -- we were sitting only slightly to the left side of the theatre and the whole right side of the screen was dark. I can't imagine how annoying this must be when this theatre shows standard 2D titles.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2009 10:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Thast a load of crap! The one we hung wasa painted surface, was not lenticular and it also hotspotted just like any silver surface would. You can't paint on a lenticuluar surface!! UNless there is something very recenbt no one has made a true lenticular since Technikote stopped making their lenticuluar surface.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-03-2009 12:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, if you go see Final Desination in a Dolby 3D auditorium, I think you will find noticeably different (and better) results. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2009 12:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I think you will find noticeably different (and better) results.
Dolby can also hot spot just as well if any of the new high gain white surfaces are used. Harkness does make a 2.0 gain white sheet!! Actually, I have seen far more variance in brightness amongst the locally installed Dolby systems than in any of the other polarized systems. The Dolbys can range from decent rightness to not even watchable. You just do not know what you're going to be seeing... even in the same location!! I'm debating on weather to even go see the Toy Stories in 3-D or not and weather my eyes could take that low of light level for that amount of time.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-03-2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If the screens are that dark, then the person who decided the specs in that auditorium shouldn't have that job. There is no excuse other than just being CHEAP and not giving a shit about the customers.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.4 gain for Dolby is the best compromise solution for wide auditorium. 1.8 starts the Hot Spot syndrome and I don't even want to think of 2.0
Demetris

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 01:30 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Well, Thast a load of crap! The one we hung wasa painted surface, was not lenticular and it also hotspotted just like any silver surface would. You can't paint on a lenticuluar surface!! UNless there is something very recenbt no one has made a true lenticular since Technikote stopped making their lenticuluar surface.

OK, so if that's the case, AND if it is true that lenticular will still hold polarization (no idea if that is true or not since this sales guy was handing me a load of bs from top to bottom), then it would behove Technikote or other manufactures to jump in an start making lenticular sheets again given that it looks like 3D is going to be with us for at least a decent short term, maybe longer. It really would be nice to have a dual purpose screen that one didn't have hide in shame when running 2D on it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2009 11:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
If the screens are that dark, then the person who decided the specs in that auditorium shouldn't have that job. There is no excuse other than just being CHEAP and not giving a shit about the customers.

Brad... I couldn't agree more. Don't forget you are the loaner out there that is doing it right!! Few others do it right even fewer care in the least.

Frank... Technikote was bought up by Big Sky. They won't be producing any lenticuluar sheets. They are however producing a silver sheet that is not only washable but it is a nice consistant surface.... not splotchy like Hurley's sheet is.

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 11:56 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so then the questions still remain, 1) will lenticular hold polarization and if yes, then 2)how come no one is making what seems like it would be a perfect solution for a screen that will work well with 2D as 3D with the elimination or reduction of hot spots?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-04-2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lenticular screens do NOT prevent hot spots...they limit cross-reflection (aka self illumination). They were more popular for curved screens, not Silver ones.

I don't see why a lenticular surface would prevent the keeping of polarization, however, the hotspot will remain...just the contrast would improve on a curved silver screen IF the image was self-illuminating the edges from cross-reflection.

Steve

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 03:11 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve -- so silver, be it smooth or lenticular, will equal hot spots, just that lenticular will reduce cross reflection plus better light to the audience as one normally gets with any properly curved screen.

So much for the claims of the MDI sales guy. He would have done well in the used car business.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 04:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MDI 3d screens are textured not sure if one would say lenticular

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: