Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Live TV Feeds (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Live TV Feeds
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 01:22 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you out there do live feeds of sporting events or the Academy Awards Skipping the horror of getting the rights, what equipment is needed to get into the theatre and through the projector?

Will just a basic cable box or satellite box due? Is one better than the other?
Will the Dolby 650 processor handle the tv stereo, or is there another processor (or card) needed?
Anything else I need to consider?

Not in anyway trying to violate copyright here, just looking into possible income streams.

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 01:37 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, I am sorry I cannot answer the technical parts of your question but two Consolidated theatres here in Hawaii offer live coverage of all University of Hawaii football games. The last two games from the mainland were not broadcast in high definition but even if they were, I doubt the two theatres could have shown them in HD because they are not equipped for digital cinema and probably using standard projectors suitable for large auditorium use.

-Claude

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a cable box and a Dish DVR for Fathom/NCN events. They run into a Barco ACS 2408 and into a DP100. The CP650 has a digital card but that's used for the server, so we have a Dolby DMA8+ to get audio into the CP650.I don't know if you could get Toslink into the 650 otherwise, but maybe you could use the external 6 channel into from the analogue feed. Works well. You might have to adjust your lens settings as HD is not 1.85.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 02:16 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need a Scaler to handle the image since most D-Cine projectors accept DVI inputs (or an HDMI to DVI adaptor). Sound can be routed either via the RCA input of the processor or if you have a digital out you could try a breakout box of digital to analogue and input it to the 6 channel analogue input of your processor. Don't expect to fill the whole screen though.
Demetris

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 02:24 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, good to know. Let me add some more details.

We are not DCinema. We have a Sanyo PLC XF40 LCD, which will do 1080i. We currently feed the DVD picture through a Extron 75c switcher (component in/ RBGHV out) to the projector. Sound is direct into the CP650. Projector can do DVI but not HDMI. Switcher is all analog. We use a zoom lens, so adjustment there is not a problem.

And the projector is 60ft from the booth.

Is it possible, and without significant quality loss, to get an HD tuner with a component output and a separate audio output to feed picture into the switcher and audio dircetly to CP650 and keep doing things as we do with DVD?

Or, do I get HD tuner with HDMI out, a HDMI to DVI converter and 60ft of cable for the picture and a split off of the HDMI to feed the CP650?

Clearly, I don't know much about home video. I don't even own a DVD player;>

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Golden Interstar from Europe have a box which outputs 1080i via component. What you do suggest is possible as long as you find a box which outputs via component 1080i. It's not easy using boxes and boxes. A scaler though might do your job easier as it will give you the possibilty of adding any source to your existing projector as a scaler usually also acts as a switcher.
Demetris

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2009 06:01 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we made up a basic tv on big screen with just a panasonic dlp 5000 and and old VHS video player as tuner. made up a audio cable for dts input and away we went did not look too bad . even better if digital tv hook up a set top box instead of the video tuner.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2009 08:49 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd avoid HDMI and go component to DVI. When you use HDMI then you have to deal with HDCP, high-definition copy protection. It tends to mess with various pieces of equipment differently. Our satellite boxes won't talk with our projector, our cable box won't talk with our scaler (through HDMI), etc. It is supposed to only limit you to 1080i at the highest, if HDCP is not present in the connected device, but it doesn't always work that way.

1080p is supposed to be available only through HDMI so they can force HDCP on everyone.

DVI can handle 1080p data rates, but scalers that will do it drop off the market quickly, due to pressure from the other manufacturers and Hollywood. The same with scalers that will strip HDCP off of HDMI.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-26-2009 02:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly is the HDCP signal that stops the communication between devices? Where does it reside relative to the rest of video information. And is it something that can be separately injected into a signal at some point to make an non-HDCP video signal look like a HDCP signal to the piece of equipment down stream that needs to see HDCP? In other words, is it possible to easily force equipment to play a signal that you legitmately have the rights to display but can't get from point A to point B because of a dumb HDPC issue that is bogus?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2009 05:52 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consider more or less the security issue of encrypted content via the HDSDI ports of D-Cinema servers. HDMI is more or less the same with one cable. The cable transfer video, digital audio, control and also the HDCP interoggation/coding. The actual playback device queries the projector or tv screen and the tv or projector should respond that it's hdcp compliant to allow the signal to be routed. The playback device then authorises the projector or tv to play what is being send. The first limitation is that to send 1080p signal a cable of no more than 12 meters must be used. Extenders e.t.c are available. Cat 5/6 HDMI balluns are also available. The only way to avoid is by downscaling the signal to component via an active ballun.
Demetris

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 01:49 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, actually got the name a little off. Here is the Wikipedia entry for it.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation [1] to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across DisplayPort, Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF), or Unified Display Interface (UDI) connections. HDCP does not address whether copying would be permitted by fair use laws. The specification is proprietary, and implementing HDCP requires a license.[2]

For DVI interfaces, HDCP is optional.[3][4]

HDCP is licensed by Digital Content Protection, LLC[5], a subsidiary of Intel. In addition to an annual fee, licensed adopters agree to the conditions set forth in the HDCP License Agreement.[6] For example, high-definition digital video sources must not transmit protected content to non-HDCP-compliant receivers. Additionally, DVD-Audio content is restricted to CD-audio quality or less[6] on non-HDCP-digital audio outputs (analog audio outputs have no quality limits). Licensed adopters cannot allow their devices to make copies of content, and must design their products in ways that "effectively frustrate attempts to defeat the content protection requirements."[6] The technology sometimes causes handshaking problems, especially with older high-definition displays.

I first ran into the limitations of HDCP when trying to connect our cable and satellite equipment to a Barco DP-100. The DP-100 has DVI-D ports which are not HDCP compliant. We could not get picture at all on the cable box, even though it was supposed to only drop it to 1080i. And on the satellite box it would only do 720i. We had to get a scaler/switcher, and input both that way. I would have liked the unit built for the DP-100, but it is $4500, and the scaler/switcher our satellite guy found was $350.

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HDCP is intended to prevent exactly what you are trying to accomplish. It is embedded in both the source (Cable Box) and sink (your projector, which is very nice).

I doubt your projector is HDCP compliant. Therefore using HDMI-DVI will not work. You will see a blue screen.

Adding a scaler will not help you. Your projector has some nice scaling capabilities built in, and for simplicity's sake you should use them.

Your best option at this point is to connect the satellite receiver to the projector using component video cables. This should get you 720p.

In late 2010ish your satellite receiver's analog outputs (composite, component, and s-video) will all be either completely disabled or limited to 480i by the cable company.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> I'd avoid HDMI and go component to DVI. When you use HDMI then you have to deal with HDCP, high-definition copy protection.

While HDCP is optional for DVI, all recent sources, including Satellite Receivers, Blu-Ray, Upconverting DVD use it. If your projector does not support HDCP, DVI will work no better than HDMI.

There are devices available on the internet that will take HDMI sources, up to 1080p, and output them to Component Video in the same resolution that was inputted. If your projector does not accept component inputs, there are devices available on the internet that will take component and output HDMI.

HDMI and DVI, as far as picture goes, are the same bit stream. There are converter cables available everywhere between them.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-28-2009 06:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is a handy little device for that very reason
http://www.hdfury.com/

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 08:12 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could help too. HDMI in, non-HDCP DVI out; secondary mirrored output for a preview display. If the device you're connecting outputs native 1080p you don't even need a scaler.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: