Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Server Audio Delay settings

Author Topic: Server Audio Delay settings
Michael Denner
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 06:41 AM      Profile for Michael Denner   Email Michael Denner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremi and Qube servers have a default factory setting of 4 frame synch delay, yet 2K D-cinema projectors have a video propagation delay of around 3 frames. This means most films are slightly out of synch, this isn't to much of a problem in small theatres but in larger ones it makes the image look obviously out of synch at the back. Does any one know how to adjust this delay? On a doremi the audio delay setting is located in a small txt file, on the raid drive, but i cant remember how to access it, and there is no mention of how to do in the dcp2000 instalation manual. Also How does one adjust the delay on a Qube, can anyone help me out? On the dolby server the default delay is zero with the delay being done in the cinema processor or DMA8. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually is done in the audio processor. I think a delay of 124ms is the standard. If you have a CP650 you need a specific firmware version to enable this feature. I am not sure if you can do it in the server.
Demetris

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

Sorry I don't know, no experience of Qube and little of Doremi in that much depth. Most of ours are from the big D.

I just thought I'd hijack your thread and say 'ello!, Hopefully a grown up will be along in a minute who can answer your quandry

Until then [beer]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taken from the Qube Manual

quote:
Setup Options for the HDSDI Output Media Block
The Setup Menu allows some options to be set on the Qube Server. The available setup options vary depending on the selected Media Block. This section looks at the various options available for setup of the HDSDI Output Media Block.
► To enter the Menu Mode, the system must first be in the Stop State. If the system is Playing content or Paused, press the Stop Key to enter the Stop State. Do not try to enter the Menu Mode during a Show!
► When the system is in the Stop State, press the key to bring up the Main Menu. The options available in the Main Menu are:
> Shows
> Compositions
> Setup
> Media Blocks
> Info

► You can use the and Menu Navigation Keys to move to the Setup Menu Item. A >symbol indicates the currently selected Menu Item.

► Press the key to select the Setup Menu Item. This will list the available Menu options for the selected Media Block, the HDSDI Output in this case:

> Projector:
> Audio:
> Audio Offset:
> Loop:
> Network Adapters

► The Projector Menu lists the available DLP Cinema™ projectors by performing a Network Discovery function over any Ethernet connection. You can use the and Menu Navigation Keys to move to the desired projector and press the key to select it. The name of the selected projector is displayed or “Not Connected” is displayed after the colon.

► The Audio Menu allows the selection of either the Analog or AES digital audio outputs on the system. You can use the and Menu Navigation Keys to choose and press the key to select the desired audio output. The selected option is displayed after the colon.
► The Audio Offset Menu allows the setup of the audio delay in the system in 24 fps frames. You can use the and Menu Navigation Keys to set the desired delay and press the key to confirm. The selected Audio Offset is displayed after the colon.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-25-2011 11:03 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 489 days since the last post.

Jonathan Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2011 11:03 AM      Profile for Jonathan Jensen   Email Jonathan Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
old thread I know, but the only one that touch the topic of delay settings on a DCP2000, so though I would post this.
I just learned this myself yeasterday:

On the Doremi DCP2000, there is indeed a pre-defined delay set to -4 (frames).
The settings can be found in the textfile /doremi/etc/0/audio_delay
so open a terminal and change user (su) to 'admin'.
Then use 'vi' to edit the file, like so;
"vi /doremi/etc/0/audio_delay" (without the quotations).

Note: As seems to only work between +5 and -5 frames.

//Jonathan

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-26-2011 12:19 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Doremi default 4 frame sound offset works with their AUD-2A d/a converter to give what looks like good lip sync to me. There's a processing delay in the d/a converter too, of course. Using a CP750 digital input I increase the offset to 5. Doremi support will email you the procedure (pretty simple, you don't need to use vi) if you ask them.

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2011 03:34 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Doremi:

1. Log in as root:
Type su and hit <enter>
2. You will be prompt for the root password:
Type  - and hit <enter>
3. Confirm current audio_delay:
Type: more /doremi/etc/0/audio_delay and hit <enter>
4. The file you will edit is in a read only directory, to be edit this file you first to change
the access from read only to read/write access. To Unmount flash:
Type: mount -o rw,remount / and hit <enter>
5. Change Audio delay to 0 frame:
Type: echo 0 > /doremi/etc/0/audio_delay and hit <enter>
6. Reconfirm that the parameter has been reset by repeating Step 4
7. Reboot the server in Menu > Logout… and press Reboot
8. When the server has restarted, the Audio delay should be set to 0. To check the value
repeat step 3.

[ 01-26-2011, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-26-2011 10:59 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think posting the Doremi default root password on a public forum is a bad idea.

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2011 01:59 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right, didn't think of that, thank you for censoring it [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: