Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 14 footlamberts sucks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 14 footlamberts sucks
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2009 10:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The technology is here and it looks absolutely STUNNING when you add a little more brightness to the image.

-

[Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

For the disbelievers who are screaming "photoshop job", view this quicktime video. [Razz] [Moon]

Projector was Christie SB and the measurements were taken with a PR655. It wasn't even a high gain screen.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-18-2009 10:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
For the disbelievers who are screaming "photoshop job", view this quicktime video
I'm screaming "video editing job." [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2009 10:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I just knew people would think it was a fake of some sort, but go take a look for yourself. Screen #3 at Copperfield in Houston, TX. Watch the opening bits before the 3D kicks in and steals all of that goodness.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2009 10:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's entirely possible... with a large lamp... Isn't it amazing that when the Dolby filter drops in it goes down to 3 foot lamberts [Wink] ...

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2009 07:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I called Clint when I received my PCA unit telling him I was getting 200 fl! Well it turned out something on the software or PCA had a glitch. Liar Liar burn on Fire!
Demetris

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-19-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another win for digital. Film would burn at that luminance level. As for the screen however... [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-19-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Regency was complaining that MY screens were too bright at less than 14 footlamberts!

That's awesome. Most 3D movies are what, 3 footlamberts? What are your 3D movies clocking in at, behind the glasses?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-19-2009 08:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3D there is running just over 10 footlamberts. It is the best looking 3D I've seen anywhere. 4.5fl is a joke standard.

I would like to see how a Barco, NEC or Sony would try and stand up to that. [Wink]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-20-2009 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I need what you have. [Smile]

I've given up on Dolby 3D at my location due to brightness issues with my 65 foot wide screen and my Barco DP100. We are plenty bright for 2D, but nowhere near where we would need to be for 3d.*

*No silver or high gain screens allowed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-20-2009 12:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well your screen is bigger, but to run Dolby 3D on a screen (low gain too) that large, you really do need two projectors to do the job right.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
smiling at the idea of another DP100 next to the existing one:)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-20-2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, but Brad, people hate wearing glasses....so with this setup, they will have to wear polariod glasses for 3D and sunglasses for 2D. Not the best move.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-20-2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize you desperately hate digital, but you need to see it before you make such a foolish statement Frank.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2009 02:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The 3D there is running just over 10 footlamberts.
I absolutey agree iot looks very good if not better at higher light levels. There might not be any ghosting issues with Dolby but there is with some polorized systems above certain levels... especially 2-projector systems.

In Mike's case they shold be runnig 3-D on one of his smaller screens... A DP-100 probably can't make 14fl over the life of it's lamp on a 65 foot screen and it certainly won't on scope.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2009 02:44 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad you didn't share the secret
Screen size, screen gain, equipment used e.t.c

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: