Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Will you need a Library server to be DCI compliant?

Author Topic: Will you need a Library server to be DCI compliant?
Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have four screens at my complex, one of which is digital. When I convert the others, will I have to have to get a library server? I will have Dolby servers most likely (thats what I have now).

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-17-2009 08:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I fully understand your question but as for Dolby Digital Cinema...the individual show stores are capable of acting as a server for up to 3 screens. However, capacity is relatively small in a show store so you may find that even before you get to 3 screens you are going to want the Show Library.

I believe that part of the DCI spec (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) is a single point of communication with the outside world (POTS line and such). This sort of denotes that there is a server of some sort, somewhere.

As such, in the long run, I do see you needing to have a Show Library to be in DCI compliance once you go beyond 3 screens. And from a flexibility stand point, you will want it as you can ingest everything into the library and push it to the respective theatres.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2009 09:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd wait a while and see how things progress first. If the media block idea hits big you won't have any other servers as you know them today. Media block goes in the projector and almost any regular server will store your film data. It should also be alot less expensive to implement.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 06:53 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive my ignorance but when using a show library, does each screen playback only from the central library or do the files need to be transfered to the respective auditorium.
Demetris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2009 10:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At preset.they have to be tra nsfered. Takes about half the running time of the film to do so... The media block system on the other hand allows a central server system to be Implemented. This is why it makes so much sense to wait for Gen. 2 projectors...

Mark

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
(...) The media block system on the other hand allows a central server system to be Implemented. This is why it makes so much sense to wait for Gen. 2 projectors (...)
Well, then you'll need a central library capable of streaming 307mbit/s to each screen. Which isn't going to be cheap... i think some kind of on-board storage (SSD?) will be needed anyway.

The only good thing about integrated media blocks is that - hopefully - they'll overcome dual link HD-SDI bandwidth limitations, allowing 12 bit 4:4:4 stereo 3D on a single projector. Apart from that, the current system is secure enough, FIPS or not.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2009 05:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't about security really... It's about simplyifing it and bringing the cost down. A Dell 2950 server or equivelent is much less expensive as compared to a 15K cinema server...

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-18-2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they were to switch to 3G HDSDI ports, then they could have 4:4:4 3D now too...if the projectors have the processing power for it.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2009 07:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, the answer is no. If you only have 4 screens in your complex, the servers will each be able to hold your 4-5 movies that you are playing at any given time. In your situation you would end up with screens 1-3 working as a stand-alone library and screen 4 just as a stand-alone player. It would mean you would essentially have to load the content twice, but hey it'll save you a ton of money.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2009 10:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

That is if there are servers still being sold as we know them today. I think that is doubtful to at least some extent.

Mark

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2009 05:21 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one 3D and three 2D screens. What I would like to do is what Brad suggests...network the three 2D screens together and have the 3D screen stand alone. We'll see when the time comes (I'm just thinking ahead, maybe 2011 for the rest of the conversion).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: