Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » SONY 4K installations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SONY 4K installations
Boris Brown
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Boris Brown   Email Boris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know were Sony 4K installation is located (NYC, Boston, Providence)?

|  IP: Logged

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know, but in case it helps:

List of theatres with Sony 4K Digital Cinema

It shows roughly 25 locations in NY and one in Boston.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2009 11:39 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal theater addresses are completely screwed up and when you try to contact Sony via the web form, the "type the following characters" doesn't work - it rejects everything you type.

I hope their product works better than the website.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-21-2009 06:47 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They missed the one at Landmark Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA. (unless it has been removed very recently for some reason). That was an older install and there have (I'm told) been issues with it since day one.

There is at least one DLP house in Providence (Providence Mall Showcase), but no Sony that I know of in that market.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 07:20 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I haven't figured out is if Sony's list means the complex is 100% installed or there is at least 1 unit installed.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-21-2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One unit or more. I know Parkway Plaza 18 only has one at this time.

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little bit off topic, but still seems to fit the category.

I heard that to change the lens on a Sony 4K unit, you needed to open up the actual projector with a key that only Sony technicians are allowed to have. So, for this whole first wave of projectors that Regal is installing, they are only purchasing the Real D lens (aka 2K) The Real D lens is shooting out two 2K images, but are only required to be accurate within four pixels. So even with the 4K projector, you are getting a fuzzy 2K image.

I haven't ever seen or confirmed this for myself, but I heard it from a tech who installs the projectors.

Anybody know if this is true?

Thanks,
Kevin

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2009 09:23 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC at Stonecrest Mall (you know, the one with the "No Weapons" sign on the door) just had a Sony 4K installed within the last week or so.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-01-2009 10:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think it is pretty amazing in an odd sort of way the Palace Theater in little tiny Canadian, TX (way out in the TX panhandle) is among this first group of 4K d-cinema installations. What's funny is when you click on the tech specs link on the theater's website there is just a big to do about THX. But nothing about Sony 4K SXRD stuff. Guess they just haven't updated the web site. I'm pretty sure this theater is the smallest town THX theater in the world (Canadian, TX has fewer residents than Cordele, OK, home of the Washita Theater -also THX certified). The Palace Theater is quite likely the smallest town 4K d-cinema theater in the world too.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2009 10:56 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony site is no longer accurate, as it concerns the Marcus Majestic in Brookfield/Waukesha, Wisconsin.

All the 4K units were pulled last month.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-05-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
All the 4K units were pulled last month.
Well that certainly is interesting....any reason why, Scott? How long after they were installed did someone say, "Ooops!....better rip those things out."

Here's another question -- so in the theatres with a LieIMAX room, there will be 4K Sony installs right next door in at least one of the standard theatres, yes? Yet the LieMAX will only have the two 2K Christies? Is it possible that LieMAX can process 4k authored movie files in such a way that they can actually get 4k resolution on the screen using dual 2Ks? Because if not, the LieMAX screen will be sporting a LOWER 2k resolution picture than the Sony 4k room right down the hall. How embarrassing for all those IMAX executives who have convinced themselves that two 2k rez video projectors on a 25t high screen is exactly the same as the resolution of 15/70 film projected with a rolling loop Academy Award winning projector onto a 6 story screen.

And if they can't configure their two Christie 2ks to output a 4k-ish image, then I guess we will be hearing the IMAX execs adding to their mantra of "BIG is relative" (depends where you sit) and "IMAX isn't just about BIG," they will have to add "RESOLUTION is relative....it depends on where you sit. Anyway, IMAX isn't just about resolution. We've taken out the first four rows of seats!"

Cassandra Palko
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Cassandra Palko   Author's Homepage   Email Cassandra Palko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work at the Majestic - we never really liked them all that much. No central server, changing formats was a pain, bulb explosions...

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 08:19 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't told specifically why they were pulled, just that they were gone (which required me to update our Information Page for the theater, which lists screen sizes, equipt., etc.).

We had a heck of a time trying to get them to identify the 4K shows as such. We have the ability to indicate Digital Cinema shows as well as a notes field in the showtimes, where they can trumpet the fact that they had Sony 4K units, but it was inconsistent at best. That meant that people didn't know that the shows were in 4K, much less Digital Cinema, so the marketing potential of the investment was completely lost.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 08:36 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can not, of course, get 4K resolution out of two 2K projectors as 4K uses FOUR TIMES the amount of pixels that 2K uses, not twice as much.

But with a 4K master, you could use two projectors to give an image of a little higher than 2K, something similar (but not quite there) to say a 2.5K image.

But in practice, it's impossible to pixel-shift two external projectors with anywhere near the necessary precision, so you end up with a blurry mix of two pixel-shift images (if at all) and all you get is pbbly lower than 2K resolving power, but you could get a nice antialiasing effect and also cover up the screen door quite effectively by using two 2K's.

So yes. No matter how you look at it, 4K=much higher resolution than LieMax for everybody in the audience except those sitting in (aproximately) the last couple of rows (say 3-5) in most theaters, which shouldn't be able to tell a difference at that distance.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-10-2009 01:56 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio, when you said, "No matter how you look at it, 4K=much higher resolution than LieMax for everybody in the audience except those sitting in (aproximately) the last couple of rows (say 3-5) in most theaters...." I had to laugh out loud because I was anticipating you finishing that sentence with something like......"4K = much higher resolution than LieMAX for everyone in the audience except....the IMAX execs who think that no matter what they project on a screen it's the "IMAX Experience." [thumbsdown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: