Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Classics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Classics
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I mentioned in another thread, we had to show Woodstock on DVD because there were no good prints.

I noticed the Arclight Dome in LA will show Woodstock in "digital". Does anyone know if WB created a real 2k digital version for them, or would the Arclight really show a DVD?

Which leads us to, does anyone know if the big classic distribs (we're looking at you WB and Univ) are planning to convert their catalogs to 2k digital? I kow Emerging got some Hitchcock's done in their process, but have not heard about anything else.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-19-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We played Woodstock on BluRay. The distributor did not have anything of higher quality. I suspect the ArcLight will be doing it on BluRay as well. Fitted and scalled properly, most people have a hard time discerning BluRay from DCinema.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 11:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount sent out an email saying Grease is now available for digital engagements.

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 07:51 PM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran Grease 6 months ago digitally. We have just shown Spartacus and The Blues Brothers (completely sold out) and we have just received Scarface and John Carpenters The Thing, all digital, all excellent quality. We do great business with repo. Interestingly we sometimes get two films on one drive.
Tim.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-19-2009 08:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, the latest version of Blade Runner is available in DCI as well.

Do all of these titles have the correct studio logos and original sound formats, or have they been replaced with their modern equivalents, as is all too common on new video releases of older titles?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 11:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even the re-release of Grease in 35mm replaced the original Paramount logo with the 'stars' one. To me, that was just slack. If they didn't want the 'Gulf and Western Company' bit on it, they should have made one that looked original without those words on it.

[thumbsdown]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2009 06:30 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

--jhawk

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2009 10:00 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did you guys have the web site where we can find this titles?
we would like to show classics an digital.

mike moreno

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 03:58 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
???

woodstock played in san francisco a month ago, on film. it was the extended version, though, which has its pluses and minuses. perhaps the original version is unobtainable.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-09-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I talked to WB they said they didn't have a good print of Woodstock, and the shipping wouldn't be worth it. So, it sounds like it's obtainable, but not in good shape.

Was the director's cut released in 35mm? I thought that was video/digital only, but could be wrong.

Then there's the 70mm version (yay! 16mm blown up to 70mm) any status reports there?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-09-2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran it a few months ago in 4 track mag up here

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 02:39 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding a 70mm WOODSTOCK, there is some dispute about this. There is an article in a Kodak Publication that indicates 70mm prints were going to me made. But no one I know of has ever been able to confirm any screenings. It remains a mystery.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-10-2009 02:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I ran WOODSTOCK we got what I was told was only one of two existing 4trk mag prints and it was in bad shape in terms of sprocket damage, but the picture was excellent and the mag tracks sounded fine, at least after we spent hours with Perfix repairing the damaged areas. WOODSTOCK kicks ass. Play it on a good sound system and you rock the house.

If they have decided not to make new film prints of their classic libraries, but are beginning to transfer them making DCI copies, then they should also make them available on something like DigiBeta or even "theatrical" BluRay (specially made without all the upfront gack and a clean start point). I mean, at this point in the game, why relegate screenings only to DCI houses since surely they are not still worry about these titles being bootlegged. This way the rep house who don't yet have DCinema can still get decent images with high-end E-Cinema projectors. When you are talking about rep and arthouse stuff, if a studio can't find its way to striking a few new prints of a popular rep title, then it makes no sense to lop off a good chunk of a title's revenue potential just to have superduper security which is virtually meaningless since these are all out on DVD and BluRay. If a bootlegger wants a copy of CASABLANCA, all he has to do is go to a RedBox and rent it for a dollar....where is there a security issue that would prevent them from allowing it to play high-end E-Cinema houses?

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 07:00 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Uk we've shown Blues Brothers, The Thing, Godfather, Scarface, Sparticus and will be showing American Werewolf on London and National Lampoons Animal House over the next couple of months.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-15-2009 08:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Do all of these titles have the correct studio logos and original sound formats, or have they been replaced with their modern equivalents, as is all too common on new video releases of older titles?
My guess is the situation will vary from title to title.

In the case of Bladerunner: The Final Cut, it has the correct studio logos on it (the Ladd Company). Well, at least that is the case for the Blu-ray version. My guess is the DCI version would have to be similar since the Blu-ray was sourced by way of a brand new film scan and digital intermediate.

I wonder if the Blu-ray versions of classic movies vary in terms of studio logos, etc. from versions shown in d-cinema theaters. The 4K restored version of The Godfather has the newest Paramount Pictures logo on it, but in a more sepia toned, deliberately grainy and monochrome look.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: