Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Are they getting 3-D?

Author Topic: Are they getting 3-D?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-18-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of our local theatres, Consolidated's Pearlridge West 16 and Kapolei 16 are listing in their coming attraction newspaper advertisement the full title " X GAMES 3-D THE MOVIE". They used to always delete "3-D" whenever they advertised movies released in that format. Does it mean these theatres will be showing the movie in 3-D when it opens on Friday for a one week run? My instincts tell me they will be playing the movie in 3-D and all others from now on. Other first run non 3-D theatres in the local Consolidated Theatres chain does not even mention the film will be playing there indicating X GAMES will be in 3-D only. Only the two existing 3-D theatres plus the Pearlridge and the Kapolei are listed.

The movie is a live action sports documentary and the trailer I saw on line looks very exciting and I may see it if it will be in 3-D.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-18-2009 07:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
They used to always delete "3-D" whenever they advertised movies
..unless, this was a co-op ad where one cinema will play it in 3D and the other one won't .. and these cinemas are paying together for the one ad for the newspaper.

Then, if so, each cinema should be adv their usage of 3D in their own slug below the main ad - which has to keep the notification of "3D" intact.

Or, the one who sends the layout to the paper failed to remove the "3D" notification if both cinemas are not 3D available.

-Monte

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-18-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

The advertisemet in question is a Consolidated Theatres daily show and showtime listing for all of their theatres on Oahu and is about a foot high and three column inch wide and is not a co op ad. The Ko Ko Marina 8 and the Ko'olau 10 are very much like the Pearlridge and the Kapolei and they all play the same movies when they open every Fridays. X GAMES 3-D THE MOVIE is not listed to play at Ko Ko Marina and the Ko'olau. As I had mentioned in my original post, only the two existing 3-D Consolidated theatres and the Kapolei and the Pearlridge has it advertised as X GAMES 3-D to play at their theatres. Like I said, I think it will play in 3-D at the two theatres in question. If the Kapolei gets 3-D that is wonderful because I go there a lot when I see a movie in a theatre because it is close to my mother's nursing home.

-Claude

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2009 08:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least up here if the studio is paying even through house costs any portion of the advertising then the entire copy even if inaccurate must be run

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But is X-games even available in 2D? If not then it MUST be 3D.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 11:26 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just call the movie theatre and ask them?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 12:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...yet, a 12 inch x 3 column ad is gonna be a pretty spendy price tag to whoever inserted it into the paper...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-21-2009 01:54 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hunch was correct. Reading International the new operator of Hawaii's Consolidated Theatres had just added two more 3-D screens here on the island of Oahu. The Pearlridge West 16 and the Kapolei now joins the Ward Centre 16 and the Mililani 14 with Dolby Digital 3-D installations. Consolidated has three more theatre sites on the island and I am pretty sure they too will have 3-D by the time AVATUR opens in December.

I must admit , I am very impressed with the way how Reading International is operating their new theatre acquisition in Hawaii. They realize they face tremendous competition from Regal and they are doing a great job meeting that challenge. I was once told by someone that Reading will run their Hawaii theatre operation into the ground after taking them over from Pacific Theatres but so far they are doing the complete opposite and I am impressed.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: