Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Paramount paranoia (no more sneaks before public shows)

Author Topic: Paramount paranoia (no more sneaks before public shows)
Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2009 08:57 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got an email yesterday saying Paramount is implementing a new key procedure where the keys for the features aren't valid until 11:00PM on Thursday, one hour before any midnight shows. As a "compromise" they provide the first reel as a supplemental package which unlocks 24 hours before the rest of the feature and, according to the notice, has to be loaded after the main feature otherwise the both it AND the main feature may not work.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-04-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For everything, or just GI Joe? I know they don't want any real press reviews of it prior to opening day.

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2009 09:19 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The notice says all Paramount features, starting with GI Joe.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-04-2009 09:20 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are that afraid of anybody seeing it they must know it sucks.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2009 09:45 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually from what I hear it's supposed to be pretty good. I think this is more about retarded piracy concerns than anything else. There's already 11 reviews (10 positive) on rotten tomatoes so I don't think this has anything to do with critics not seeing it.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-04-2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? I thought the whole point to this digtal stuff was that it's pirate-proof.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2009 10:28 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studio will do the thinnin' around here Bobbalooie! [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2009 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the official letter:

quote:
New Paramount Key Procedure
Paramount Pictures

DO NOT DISREGARD THIS LETTER

Dear Digital Cinema Managers and Projection Staff:

Please be advised that Paramount is using a new key procedure for the wide releases of their digital prints. This new key procedure is going into effect with the release of GI JOE. Please take a moment to read through the new procedure below.

• Wide-release keys are no longer valid at 8am on Thursday morning before a new feature opens.

• Wide-release keys are now valid at 11pm on Thursday night before a new feature opens.

• A Reel 1 Ingest Test Supplemental Package will be included on each feature hard drive.

• When loaded, this Reel 1 Ingest Test will allow you to play Reel 1 of the feature up to 24 hrs before your regular keys become active.

• The Reel 1 Ingest Test is used to confirm your content is in working order. The other reels of the feature will not be viewable using the Reel 1 Ingest Test.

• Reel 1 Ingest Test keys are valid 24hrs before the wide release keys become active. These keys will be valid from Wednesday at 11pm – Thursday at 11pm.

• Wide Release keys and Reel 1 Ingest Test keys will be distributed at the same time. Both should be received at the theatre by Wednesday on the week of the feature’s release.

GI JOE is the first title that will incorporate this new procedure. Below are examples of what to expect from the GI JOE Package:

Feature CPL: GI-JOE_FTR_S_EN-XX_US-13_51_2K_PAR_20090720_ASC_OV
Reel 1 Ingest Test CPL: GI-JOE_REEL-1_INGEST_TEST_VF

Feature Key Duration: 8/6 @ 11:00pm – 9/4 @ 3:59am
Reel 1 Ingest Test Key Duration: 8/5 @ 11:00pm – 8/6 @ 11:00pm

**IMPORTANT NOTE** Please keep in mind that the Reel 1 Ingest Test is a Supplemental Package. In order for it to work properly, the full-length feature must be loaded prior to loading the Reel 1 Ingest Test. Failure to follow these steps could result in improper playback of the feature and/or the Reel 1 Ingest Test. If you experience issues as a result of loading out of order, please delete all content and reload in the correct order. Feel free to contact TDC’s 24/7 Digital Support by phone or e-mail with any questions or concerns.

Dear Digital Cinema Managers,

OPEN CAPTIONS are available upon request for

G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA
Paramount Pictures

To play this title with Open Captions, the supplemental package and Keys must be requested from Technicolor Digital Cinema prior to the scheduled show.

Once received the Supplemental Composition and Key must be loaded onto a server that already contains the full feature Composition. A play list containing the Captioned Composition as the feature will show the picture with Open Captions.

Contact Technicolor Digital Cinema Support via phone or email as soon as you know of scheduled Open Captioned shows; 24 hour notice is preferred.

**1-800-99-FILMS (option 2) or Digital.Keys@technicolor.com **

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-05-2009 01:00 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo News

LOS ANGELES – It's the biggest movie of the summer that practically no one has seen.

"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" opens Friday, but Paramount Pictures isn't screening the blockbuster for critics beforehand. Only a select few writers from blogs and movie Web sites have seen it for review — such as Harry Knowles, the self-professed "Head Geek" from Ain't It Cool News — and their opinions have been mostly positive.

Instead, the studio says it's intentionally aiming the movie at the heartland, at cities and audiences outside the entertainment vortexes of New York and Los Angeles. Paramount held a screening Friday for 1,000 military service members and their families at Andrews Air Force Base; it's also focusing marketing efforts in places like Kansas City, Charlotte, N.C., and Columbus, Ohio.

While appealing to a sense of patriotism nationwide, the plan also is inspired by the disparity that existed between the critical trashing "Transformers: Rise of the Fallen" received and the massive crowds it drew at the box office.

"`G.I. Joe' is a big, fun, summer event movie — one that we've seen audiences enjoy everywhere from Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland to Phoenix, Ariz.," said Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount Pictures. "After the chasm we experienced with `Transformers 2' between the response of audiences and critics, we chose to forgo opening-day print and broadcast reviews as a strategy to promote `G.I. Joe.' We want audiences to define this film."

With a reported production budget of $175 million and a cast that includes Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller, Marlon Wayans and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, "G.I. Joe" follows the adventures of an elite team using high-tech spy and military equipment to take down a corrupt arms dealer. It comes from director Stephen Sommers, whose previous films include "The Mummy" and "Van Helsing."

Long before anyone saw the completed product, though, "G.I. Joe" drew mixed buzz at best for its trailer, which premiered during the Super Bowl. Now it's the final action picture of the summer — and it has a lot in common with the highest-grossing film so far this year, the "Transformers" sequel. Both are effects-laden spectacles based on Hasbro toys and both are Paramount releases from producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

"Transformers" has gone on to gross more than $388 million in the United States alone since its opening six weeks ago, despite receiving just 20 percent positive reviews on the Web site Rotten Tomatoes, a critical aggregator. The withholding of "G.I. Joe" from mainstream critics suggests that the studios believe they can succeed at the box office without them.

It's a tactic normally reserved for horror movies or other genre pictures with built-in fans who don't necessarily care about reviews — ones based on video games, for example — not summer blockbusters. Still, "G.I. Joe" has been tracking well because it represents the last big bang of the season, said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com.

"They don't need (to screen) it and there's no upside to negative reviews. The film is going to open well no matter what," Dergarabedian said. "They're being very strategic in who they show the movie to. If they can win over their core audience from these reviews, that's good for the movie."

Devin Faraci from the film Web site CHUD.com is one of the few writers who have seen it for review purposes, and not just for junket interviews. He's among the critics who've contributed to the movie's 88-percent positive rating as tabulated by Rotten Tomatoes, saying: "If I was 10 years old, `G.I. Joe' would be one of the best movies I had ever seen."

Faraci said he was in Toronto recently when he received a phone call at 8:30 a.m. Los Angeles time, asking if he could come to the Paramount lot that day for a "G.I. Joe" screening. He flew back, got off the plane and headed right over.

"It's silly. It's a film that plays on its own terms," he said. "I don't think reviews will kill it but I think it'll get a more positive response than they expect. It's a big, silly, pulpy, cartoony action film and it makes no apologies for being that way."

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that cant be fun. Anyone have any problems with this today?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-08-2009 12:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Failure to follow these steps could result in improper playback of the feature and/or the Reel 1 Ingest Test.
Well guess what, I didn't even bother ingesting the reel 1 ingest test. I just loaded the feature, didn't preview it beforehand since we all know digital is perfect, and the shows ran flawlessly today.

Stupid scare tactics! [Moon]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-08-2009 12:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wha? Are you in Houston??

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-08-2009 12:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I did it from Dallas.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: