Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Software maintenance costs, get used to it.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Software maintenance costs, get used to it....
James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2009 09:36 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was something I picked up on some of the latest Dolby literature I wanted to bring to the communities attention. And also to get some feed back on how they feel about it.

Software maintenance as a part of the ongoing cost of owning equipment.

Being from the IT world, this is typical. And a typical cost for it is 20-25% buy price per year.
Considering the evolving nature of DCI, we can expect it to require regular updates going forward. So, for example, if a DCI player is $21,000 to purchase, that would mean at about 20% maintenance, ~ $5000 per year to keep the player up to date.

Now this is typical and required on something like a DCI piece of equipment (Player and projector) due to the evolving standards (Ie we still need to migrate to 4K soonish by the looks of it). The need for software maintenance on sound processors, like we have now, you would not expect such a need... But I must admit, the sound processors coming out are extremely complex and all software based these days.

Dolby has stated that all new equipment, will now require software maintenance (First year free) costs.. AND.. if you lax on the maintenance, a 150% penalty to bring you to to date will apply to get the latest update.

This first shocked me, but after considering it.. This behavior is not unusual for large companies like Oracle, Microsoft or other enterprise service companies.

Cinema owners, I would like your opinion on this.
What do you think a fair price would be.

Typically, software maintenance is phone support and access to the upgrades. You would still have to pay to have them implemented usually. Ie by your local cinema tech support company/contractor.
What should be involved in software maintenance?

A side note, I have been attempting to find out what this software maintenance for Dolby kit would costs.. No one seems to know. Personally I don't think they know themselves. It probably not decided yet. If anyone does know, or has examples of this in other parts of the industry, would like to hear about these examples.

Thanks,
James

|  IP: Logged

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2009 12:54 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a cinema owner, so I can't answer as one.

My whole take on this is: why should I pay for updates? I should just wait until the right equipment is available (fully DCI compliant 4K equipment) and, if the price is right or I get financing kick-back from the distributors saving on the price of 35mm prints, then I may buy.

Meanwhile, nothing wrong with current 35mm equipment and nothing digital really offers to theatre owners that offsets the cost.

Since Hollywood is determined to force 3D only in digital, even though they allow for dual-projection (Imax or custom) and over/under (Sony), which they could just as well allow in 35mm, then I MAY consider a SINGLE 3D digital screen per theatre.

In that case, if I had to buy right now, I'll probably go for the cheapest possible thing I could find and not pay any maintenance fees whatsoever for a long as distributors keep supporting my equipment as, eventually, it's gonna have to go all out the windows and (by then) new equipment will be available up to the latests specs, pbbly 4K, perhaps 8K, perhaps 12fl 3D, perhaps 60fps compatible, etc, etc.

That's what I would do anyway.

Otherwise, I would wait for fully DCI compliant 4K equipment (i.e. Sony) and call it a day.

If the industry is not ready to move to digital due to on-going standards and unfinished products of inferior (i.e. 2K or Sony's manufacturing issues) quality at top prices ... they can kiss my [Moon]

Many here will agree that 35mm offers just as good or better images to customers for much lower price. Once the digital issues are resolved, or the price of current equipment lowers to reflects its transitional (<4K, few frame rates supported like not-25fps and not 60-fps, non-DCI compliance), unfinished situation, then it's another matter.

It's also another matter if studios are willing to pay for (obsolete, transitional) equipment that may last 10 years. Then I also wouldn't have problems purchasing it, paying it off with money from the duplication film cost savings, and then 10 years from now throwing it out the window and purchasing "the real stuff".

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2009 08:10 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio,
I am not surprised with your attitude. But really, this is quite unavoidable.

A lot of the DCI SMS makers are loosing money. The projector makers are not doing that bad..

The ongoing upgrades and modifications to the software to support more frame rates, legislated captioning and DCI approval levels.... This development is considerable and needs a lot more support then in the past.

Support costs like this exist because it is "commercail". ie it cannot be offered unless such costs did not exist. This is typical in all industries in which software is a major factor to a product. Look at QuickBook, Photoshop, etc

Would you prefer to simply have to purchase a fully new system when required to? Likely costing you even more in the long run?

What happens if the system is not compatible with newer projectors.. Again, purchase a full new system?

The DCI standard is a living standard that is striving to archive a moving target.

Dolby has stepped forward to try and start to introduce you to the new reality of costs for those going digital.

This is "commercial", ie the products cannot likely exist without them. The DCI developers cannot simply keep giving free support indefinatly. If they cannot make money out of it, they will stop making it.

This is a serious issue and I know is likely to make many cinema owners unhappy. I am trying to bring it up here as to start a dialog to get a feel for what cinema owners feel is fair.
What they would prefer.

And really, you should ALL be asking your regional suppliers what this support cost will be. Call them. Ask.

Lets discuss..
Its within your best interest.
James

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-14-2009 09:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dell doesn't charge for any server firmware ugrades if you download them from the Dell web site but they do charge for a subscription service so you get a DVD delivered as the latest firmware versions are released, the cost for this is very minimal even for a large IT center. Microsoft does not charge for their OS upgrades which can be both automatically or manually downloaded when they are released. Also, upgrades can only go so far before you have to replace the equipment. The best example of this is to try to run a Microsoft server program on an old Dell server... it isn't going to happen because the hardware can't do it, drivers don't exist, and finally Dell dropped support of that server long ago.

I'd say wait and see how the rest of the indusrty will persue this idea. I learned along time ago that what Dolby does is generally what the rest of the industry does not do!!! Another factor will be to see how many more theater owners become more tempted to stay sitting on the fence post. This number lately seems to be growing and growing and growing because of way too many uncertain aspects all happenning at once in D-Cinema.

Another huge factor is still the equipment price. Sure you have the Christie M for about 48K with lens but aside fomr projectors using Cermax lamps it's also the most expensive projector to operate if you're stuck using their 2kw short gap lamp and the 48K is just the projector... you still need a base, server, D to A, and lamp. You get to the 60 to 70K arena really fast. Until 2K systems are in the 30-40K range for a complete 2K system things are going to stay stalled out. 4K DLP is going to have to be in the mid 80K range to compete with Sony's 83.5K price on it's 4K systems and that means 2K will need to drop down into the 30-40K range to even be considered by anyone, ultimately it may vanish completely as has 1.3K. Then on top of price you have the Second generation electronics for 2K systems to be released later this year and this will accept the Media Block type of server system. With the Media Block system emerging will D-Cinema servers as we know them even exist in two years??? The bottom line is just that and no matter what technoligical marvel happens in the next 30 minutes it's still all about price no matter what! And theaters are going to go with the cheapest system what ever it is, especially when it comes to doing large scale installs.

All in all this is the best time there has ever been for a theater owner to wait about another year to see how all this pans out. It's not who is going to win this time around but what equipment will be left in the playing field that we will be working with and if the equipment previously sold does become obsolete or not.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-14-2009 09:41 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny. . . . we don't have this expense with "old, obsolete film." [beer] [beer] Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-14-2009 10:17 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what are the upgrade software service fees for my Motiograph AAA

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2009 11:06 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can read in this article from a couple of weeks how moving to d-cinema is still on a wait-and-see in most of the world and how, whatever is selling, is mostly to add a single 3D screen to a complex.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3id499f8aa1018de83a147fc0ed0916566

quote:
So far, conversion of analog screens to digital in developed countries worldwide hasn't happened as quickly as expected. Anthony Marcoly, president of sales and distribution at Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International, says most of the close to 2,500 digital screens outside the U.S. are one-offs in multiplexes specifically added to show 3-D movies.

As in the U.S., conversion to all digital presentation won't occur until financing sources open, and that depends on the global credit crisis. That isn't stopping aggregators from doing deals in Europe, Asia, Russia and elsewhere based on the U.S. model of "virtual print fees" paid by studios to pay back the cost over time. The money needed now has to be borrowed, and that has not been possible since last fall. So while multiplexes worldwide rush to offer 3-D on at least one or two screens per location, the existing theaters are still firmly in the analog world.

That didn't mean the end of all digital, though. "The focus in the recent past has been on installation of digital 3-D screens," says Clapp, who projects that by year's end there will be about 600 digital 3-D sites from a total of 3,600 screens in the U.K.

Dowley notes digital eliminates the cost to ship the cans of celluloid, makes it easier to offer advertisers last-minute content changes that can be beamed to theaters. He says their research shows U.K. audiences "are loving the 3-D experience," and his company plans ads in 3-D as well.

It's not just happening in the U.K. or Western Europe. Across developing Eastern Europe, Russia, India and China there's a theater building boom and they all are including one or two 3-D ready screens. The opening of new theaters is inevitably followed by a rise in boxoffice in that territory.

They keep spreading the lie that "3D doubles or triples" income. As Jonas Brothers or Battle for Terra has demostrated, that's not so. Even tenpoles blockbusters like Ice Age opened 3D and all only to SECOND place in BO after (already one week old and pretty-crappy) 2D Transformers 2. Even on Ice Age 2nd week, it couldn't outdo 2D Brüno in spite of the R rating against the PG of Ice age.

Do you think that if movies in 3D really doubled (or tripled) the income, producers of Transformers or Brüno or Iron Man 2 or Harry Potter wouldn't have done them in 3D?

The numbers are doctored to make it look like that but the truth is that, since most 3D movies are top-grossers anyway shown at top (brand new, 3D) houses, with top ticket prices (3D surcharge etc) they often do well, but not because of the 3D.

3D helps some people in some markets. 3D pbbly DOES bring a little (modest) extra profit that offsets the extra expenses (glasses, etc) and perhaps leave a modest premium. But it does not double the profits unless you are the only one showing a big 3D film in an area where your only competition is showing 2D only.

And, still, when the novelty factor wears off and the average consumer has seen 10 to 20 3D films, the 3D will lose a great deal of its appeal.

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND software/firmware updates in the industry, but the main blame goes to DCI association (bunch of ....) which have not clearly, professionally written up the "standard" they want to follow (KDM delivery mess, FIPS absurdly high and expensive security, lack of frame rates and flexibility). It's their mess, not the theatre owners who are forced to a) wait of b) pay.

The problem with b) is that you don't even know if paying will get your hardware up to specs as software support usually vanishes almost as soon as the new hardware hits the shelves.

If you factor (say) 25% of purchase price per year .... I rather buy now, don't update for 4/5 years (25%x4=100% of the price), then throw it away (sell cheap second hand) and then buy a new (updated, current, better, perhaps cheaper) machine.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-14-2009 11:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...is the maintenance fee for new features or for bugfixes?

I object to the idea that users should be expected to pay to fix defects that existed in the unit as it was delivered. On the other hand, it seems perfectly reasonable to sell software releases with new features or functionality for an upgrade price or as part of a service contract/maintenance fee.

If one buys something that does not meet the DCI spec, then it is not reasonable to assume that the upgrades necessary to make it meet the spec will be free (unless it was sold that way).

(I tried to upgrade the firmware on my Centurys, but I couldn't find the serial ports. They work fine, though, for both old and new prints, so maybe I won't bother.)

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I tried to upgrade the firmware on my Centurys, but I couldn't find the serial ports
They are next to the USB ports, on top of the Firewire ones, right under the Ethernet and next to the HDMI. It uses a non-standard connector, so you have to make your own cable. Don't forget to connect the 220v to the +5v line and ground the whole thing really well. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-14-2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
And what are the upgrade software service fees for my Motiograph AAA

You couldn't afford it!!

I completely agree with Scott! I also feel that no one should have to pay for firmware updates just because DCI or the studios might want to change or add some feature that benefits them. IMHO Dolby is droping the ball here.

Julio,
No process is going to save a BAD MOVIE! And Follywood is still making way too many bad and mediocre movies... I'd give them about a 50 to 1 ratio of bad to good films these days. 70mm already proved way back when that a good film process can't save a lousy film. Look at results like Krakatoa, Cleopatra, etc.

Mark

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2009 12:18 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feed back guys.

You all have excellent points of view.

The position of sitting on the kit is a reasonable one in many ways.

However, in terms of bugs getting fixed. Outside of a service contract, No. bugs will not get fixed as the software evolves with feature sets at the same time.

So if you want the fix, you need to purchase the upgrade or service contract to move to the latest version.

I know this may seem unfair, but it would not be commercial for the company to spend time/money on non profit making areas when they didn't make enough money to start off. And its surprisingly difficult and expensive to go back and fix these extremely complex systems.

This is only really coming to a head now as Cinedign and the integrator service costs covered all this. But now with "one of" systems with no integrator responsible and no service costs..
No one is going to show up to fix the issues anymore. Not if they are not getting paid.
You will have to pay your local installer to do it ad hoc, and he is going to get charged for the time they dialog with the supplier (Just like if you called Microsoft for support. P.S. Windows7 in only a service pack level change in Vista. Thats a cost upgrade, and get use to Microsoft doing this as standard now on. Like Adobe, like Quickbooks.), These costs will be passed onto the cinema owner.
Money flows up hill you now.

I completely agree that this DCI standard should have been less complex and more complete. But it is not, and really, could it be when this technology is so young. Look at all the different film standards there was before we standardized on what we have now. DCI needs to go though a maturing time as well. 4K has not been possible for a long time, but seems to be getting there now.. And actually much faster then we ever expected, a problem in itself. (2K kit not having enough time to return a profit for those who developed it)

We all knew getting into digital early on would be a bleeding edge exercise. If anything this thread should help those looking at making a decision like digital to understand his long term position, and give him question to ask that are very important to the long term viability of his digital kit.

James

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 07-15-2009 05:01 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charging for bugfixes for non-obsolete equipment is a load of crap. If the product is defective as delivered, then the manufacturer hsa an ethical responsibility to its customers to fix the defects in a timely manner and without charge. If this isn't profitable, that is the manufacturers' problem and not their customers'.

If the manufacturers want to charge to provide new features, that is fine, but they will have to fork their code and provide separate bugfix releases and feature releases. Look at how Cisco IOS releases work. Some provided only bugfixes and others add new features. It can be difficult at times to figure out exactly what release one really wants/needs to install, but it is possible to choose a release which only provides bugfixes and does not add new features.

(My full-time job is at a software company that makes quite a bit of money by charging for support services, so I do understand the importance of support revenue. But I disagree with the idea that defective product can be shipped and that customers who choose not to buy support should be told "sorry, you're screwed" when they encounter defects in the product.)

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2009 07:20 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really Scott,
Cisco from my experience has released a lot of defective kit.. Its part of purchasing complex kit like that. And you NEED to be in support to get ANYTHING from them. Bug-fixes especially.
That is how it plays here.

You show my point.

James

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 07-15-2009 07:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, bad example. Cisco's support policy blows. And I agree that many of their releases have been problematic (almost every Cisco product that I have encountered that was new in the box has shipped with a seriously broken IOS release).

Consider operating systems as (maybe) a better example. All of the major commercial OS vendors that I am familiar with (Microsoft, Sun, HP, SGI, and IBM) provide bugfix and security patches for free download. As they should.

A defective piece of software should be treated no differently from a defective piece of hardware.

What is especially dumb in this case is that the product in question is an expensive replacement for an existing technology, and it is being sold to an industry with limited IT experience and which is accustomed to equipment that lasts 25-50 years with little maintenance. It is not an easy sell, anyway, and expensive support contracts that do little more than fix defects in the product will not help matters.

All of this reinforces my belief that, at present, the economics for D-cinema do not work for exhibitors or manufacturers, and probably do not work for film distributors, either, if they subsidize the hardware.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-15-2009 09:21 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen! Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: