Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Super Duper Digital 3D coming ... or not

Author Topic: Super Duper Digital 3D coming ... or not
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 04:46 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's better than Digital 3D?

Well, digital (or film) 2D, of course.

But then, you have to convert it to digital 3D to show it in all it's original? glory. Like the upcoming Piranha 3-D film.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=10956

quote:
Shock: What 3-D process are you using for this film?

Aja: It's very bizarre because we started the process by talking about using the new system that James Cameron used [for Avatar]. I realized along the way that those cameras were forcing me, first, to shoot in HD and then there were too many technical parameters that were not good. So, we heard about a new technique they were developing that nobody really used before which is the conversion. The conversion is more expensive, much more work in post-production. You're basically shooting the movie in the traditional way thinking 3-D and then the whole movie would be converted by computer. The camera in 35mm is shooting all of us here and then the computer is going to modelize each of us in 3-D and inside the computer you're going to screen, you're going to project the image on the 3-D model and you create that space and that whole style. It's very complicated. I was kind of like, "Oh, it's impossible it's not going to feel natural," and I saw 20 minutes of King Kong being converted and it's the best thing I've ever seen. When I see 20 minutes of that, I mean, I don't understand why the studio is not finishing the movie and releasing the movie again in 3-D. It's the best, best, best, best. I've also seen stuff from The Matrix and from Star Wars, the original.

Shock: Whoa. They're just converting it for 3-D?

Aja: Yeah, it's unbelievable. It's not like black and white convert in color where you see that it's stained and it's not natural. It's amazing, there is no word. It was great for us because we are shooting for real on cinemascope anamorphic on film, shooting it as a normal movie. So, it's much faster and we have a full control on the 3-D. Without being presumptuous, I think the 3-D experience on Piranha is going to be the best one that's ever made.

[Roll Eyes] [Shrug]

So let me re-count.

Fake Imax.

Perhaps, fake DLP 4K.

Now, fake Digital 3-D.

And then we complain about fake products from china ... [Moon]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-03-2009 05:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the film is likely to be a turd.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 07:49 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, it's not going to be the only half-baked, fake 3D piece of art to hit the screen.

From G-Force, in Disney 3-D (according to advertising)

quote:
But one combination CG/live-action film, Disney's August release "G-Force," took a unique approach as the scenes were converted to 3-D in postproduction, rather than shot with a 3-D rig.

The reason is that "G-Force" originally was planned as a 2-D title.

"The decision to release in 3-D was made halfway through shooting," recalls visual effects supervisor Scott Stokdyk of Sony Pictures Imageworks, which created a virtual second camera for the CG 3-D, then combined the elements in post with the live action 3-D (created by In-Three, a Westlake Village, Calif.-based company that calls its proprietary service "dimensionalization"). "We had a variety of camera rigs and setups and very tight quarter shooting, so we had to be extremely flexible."

This approach allowed director Hoyt Yeatman to work with his editorial staff and VFX crew in a normal way and deal with the stereo issues at the very end of the proces. The live-action material then went through a 3-D post conversion process at In-Three.

"You have to plan ahead when you are composing 3-D shots, but it's not so much of an imposition as when you have to work on the right and left eye throughout the process," Stokdyk says.

So we don't need to worry about 3D film availability. Hollywood can just shoot a film normal in 2D and then have a computer figure out how it should look in 3D and voilá, triple the profits.

[sex]

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 08:04 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this the same process that was used on Singer's "Superman Returns - The IMAX Experience"?

In general, the three or four scenes that they converted to 3-D looked OK. The irritating part of the presentation were the flashing Clark Kent glasses that told you when to put on/take off the glasses.

-David

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-03-2009 08:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a lot of needlessly complicated crap just being needlessly complicated for the sake of being needlessly complicated.

Shoot dual camera 3D on film...or on "digital" video. Why go to the trouble of using "photogrametry" techniques to artificially inflate something out to 3D? Seems like a giant waste of money and computing resources to me.

At best, I could only see a proof on concept short movie being made regarding this kind of technology. One would get far better bang for the buck going that route than trying to make a full length feature.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: