Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Spinning wheel goes bang (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spinning wheel goes bang
Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2009 10:37 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well our recently installed Barco DP2000 lost its Dolby filter wheel today. Have to say not a big pile of glass shards for the money.
I get to see it being replaced tomorrow. Anybody else have one break?
We are not amused.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-16-2009 10:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there a bulb explosion? Was the wheel not properly tightened down?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-16-2009 10:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spinning wheel in brand-new $100,000 state-of-the-art digital projector = Me laughing. I'm sorry, I know it's not funny, but still...

Did it break during a show? What does the image look like when this happens?

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2009 11:02 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least the projector keeps the shards from flying and cutting your head off. Every time I get close to our MasterImage's whirling Disk-of-Doom I expect it to explode and send shards of plastic into my eyes. [Eek!]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 01:41 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a DP2000 with Dolby color wheel giving a "color spin error" in the log every so often.

You push the 3D button on the projector again even though it's already on and the picture returns to normal.

So far no one at Barco has a clue what his means.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-17-2009 03:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Ranucci
Anybody else have one break?

Yes,
I've had one disentegrate but because of a lamp explosion. Glass shard from lamp went right through the heat filter on a CP-2000 and also took the wheel out. Had to replace Reflector, Lamp, Heat filter and Dolby wheel. I think the parts tab was somewhere around 20K for the whole clean up. I hope your's is under warranty since the wheel carries an almost 14K list price!!! This is very definately THE system where theater owners may want to consider carrying equipment insurance.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-17-2009 06:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a lamp explosion on a Barco could get to the Dolby wheel, Brad. In a Barco, the lamp sits 90-degrees to the Dolby wheel. Also, the Barco lamphouse pretty well holds/contains lamp explosions.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-17-2009 08:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would depend on how well the heat filter holds up... how thick it is and so on. The Barco's I've worked on don't have as thick of filter as in a Christie. Glass shards could certainly bounce off that right angle mirror if they make it through the heat filter and then take out the wheel. Then there is the concusive factor of the lamp explosion itself... they say a 2kw is equal to one stick of dynamyte! A 6kw lamp is going to be a much higher powered explosion. That is one factor one can't get away from no matter what... that Dolby wheel is VERY thin! Either of these scenerios is certainly possible and I don't really see much less of risk because of the right angle mirror. Another point is that right angle mirror in there (and on NEC's) is why they don't put out as much light as the competition does which can cause one to go to the next higher wattage lamp and up the operating expenses.

Mark

Hendarto Ciputra
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2009 11:14 AM      Profile for Hendarto Ciputra   Email Hendarto Ciputra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the DP2000 there's another mirror at the opening after the reflecting mirror this further reduce possibility of breaking the wheel. On the other hand, i encountered a deffective dolby that went bust on first activation. Claimed it under DOA and get replacement within a week

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 06-17-2009 12:57 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spinning colour wheels??? Sounds like a throwback to the days of multi-coloured front shutter projectors of the 1920's!

Why the wheel? Surely a pulsed dichroic lamphouse similar to a telecine would be more efficient/effective..and at $20K, most likely cheaper too?

Without seeing one of these units, I have to admit to being a [dlp] noob, so please excuse my ignorance.
Cheers
Ian

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 01:07 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they say a 2kw is equal to one stick of dynamyte!
Ahhh... Living in an area where several groups of Indian descent sell dynamite for a living (creatively relabeled as fireworks), I'm fairly sure there isn't a lamphouse on the planet that would survive a full stick explosion... much less the surrounding projection room.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...maybe an M-80, or a cherry bomb ..., Now, when a LTi Helios goes, they are a bit more nastier due to the higher compression inside the bulb.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 01:34 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
I'm fairly sure there isn't a lamphouse on the planet that would survive a full stick explosion... much less the surrounding projection room.
Only one way to resolve this dispute: It's video time! [evil]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-17-2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are the Mythbusters when you need them! (lots of flame and loud noise) Louis

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2009 03:55 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go with Real D, no spinning wheels here!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: