Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Real D glasses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Real D glasses
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-14-2009 07:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of glasses are these...that is: what's the name of the polarisation?

Will other glasses do the trick or do Real D have some sort of proprietory right to their make-up?

Do anyone else but Real-D make them?

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-14-2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are circular polarized. Other companies make circular polarized glasses, I assume they work as long as they are oriented the same way. They even make clip on versions. The linear versions of the clip ons worked great at Jeff's 3D festival.

Look here for one manufacturer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2009 09:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I was told that Real-D uses Eliptical Polarization... which is why their glasses don't work on normal circular polarized systems.

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-14-2009 11:38 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck is elliptical polarization?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2009 12:33 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing as circular but the retarder film was rotated with respect to the polarizer film to some odd degree (instead of 45º angle)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polclas.html

RealD can't hold patents or whatever for the glasses. You can get them made.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 12:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a bit fun is to have the glasses on and look at yourself at a mirror.

With both eyes open, all looks sorta normal, but you can tell something isn't right.

Close one eye and the opposite lens goes black.

Take two glasses and put their opposite lenses face to face together and look though it. Looks normally.

Rotate one 90* and both goes completely black.

After studying that site above, it now makes a bit of sense of the usage of silver screens - to really reflect back that left hand twist of light to go right handed on return and opposite lenses see both twists.

...-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 02:33 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys...great info. [thumbsup]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 12:41 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Close one eye and the opposite lens goes black.
Which is the opposite of linear glasses.

Thanks for the info, Julio. That's an interesting site. Any idea why they chose not to make the elliptical polarization circular?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The glasses, from what I understand, are the exact same linear polarizers, just not at the usual 45-degree angles as the usual variety. The circular polarizer is the projector filter.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I know that's not true. The glasses are definitely elliptical (I originally thought circular, but I guess I was wrong on that) in nature.

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2009 02:18 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, did you know people can "see" polarization of light?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidinger's_brush

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2009 03:54 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they were linear, you wouldn't be able to tilt your head without the image ghosting.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2009 08:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at a digital projection (such as preshow) on a silver screen thru the glasses backwards, it has a green tint to the picture.

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about digital cinema.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2009 11:47 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Althaus
If you look at a digital projection (such as preshow) on a silver screen thru the glasses backwards, it has a green tint to the picture.
If the factor I'm thinking about is the one at play here, that's probably true only of pre-show projectors that are based on LCD (rather than DLP).

LCD based projectors make use of polarized light to work. Thing is, their polarization (linear) orientation doesn't have to (and often does not) follow conventions for 3D (i.e. they can be 90º and 180º instead of 45º and 135º). And one of their 3 color panels, usually the green, has an orientation different from the other 2 (i.e. red and blue).

When you put your circular polarized glasses backwards you sort of convert them to linear polarized (not really, but that's the short explanation as light enters the linear film before being rotated by any retarder).

I bet that if you rotate them (while backwards) you'll no longer get a "greenish tint" (with that projector) but the tint will gradually change from green to magenta (red+blue) as you rotate them from 0º to 90º.

You can fun with polarization like you did when you were in Physics 102 in High School [Razz]

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2009 11:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It went green during Coraline in 3-D, though. I will try the rotation thing tomorrow.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: