Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony’s gambit for cinema dominance

Author Topic: Sony’s gambit for cinema dominance
James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2009 09:58 PM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a post from my blog.

I know I will get constructive comments here so fire...

http://www.crafted.com.au/blog/2009/06/07/sonys-gambit-for-cinema-dominance/

-------------------
Sony broadcast, a flagship of the Sony brand, is in its sunset years. As tape work-flows are replaced by tape-less and the professional video arm of any organisation becomes more like an IT division. What is Sony to do with billions of dollars of investment in servicing an infrastructure aimed at tape-less?

Well in this case, its got its mind set on owning cinema exhibition and projection.

Here are a few links for consider.

* AMC Entertainment to Convert Entire Circuit to Digital Cinema Projection with Sony 4K Systems (309 theatres and 4,628 screens)
* Regal Entertainment Group to Install Sony 4K Digital Cinema Projection Systems Across Entire Circuit (.. agreement for the installation of Sony 4K digital projection systems across its entire circuit over the next 3 to 5 years … Approximately 1,500 of the Regal screens will also be outfitted for 3D digital projection, using Sony’s newly introduced dual-lens adaptor technology.)
* Sony Announces New Exhibitor Agreements as Conversion to 4K Digital Cinema Technology Continues (The new exhibitors are: Muvico Theaters at the Oaks, Thousand Oaks, Calif.; Alamo Drafthouse at the Village, Austin, Texas; The Palace Theater, Canadian, Texas; Lincoln Square Cinemas in Bellevue, Wash.; and Channelside Theaters in Tampa, Fla.)
* Sony Electronics Expands Digital Cinema Deployment Agreement with Sony Pictures to Cover Asia (… DCSS now has agreements with two major studios for Asia –Sony Pictures Entertainment and Twentieth Century Fox. …)

Initially I thought this to ambitious, but the more I think of it, the more sense it makes.

But first let me explain why this was very unexpected by the industry. In general, cinema owners did not give Sony much of a chance. However, Sony appear more determined than anyone could guess.

Sony has a history in exhibition already. In the distant past there was a Sony technology for cinema audio called SDDS. (See wikipedia for a details on Sony Dynamic Digital Sound). In short, it was an expensive new audio format that Sony supported for a very short period of time. Those cinema owners who adopted it where very angry with Sony. They invested a lot of money only to be left hanging soon after. Cinema owners are a tight group with long memories. To them, Sony had lost all credibility.

Then there is the general opinions of cinema technicians and Sony competitors towards the Sony 4K technology.

Sony has not done well in many areas compared to the TI (Texas Instruments) based projection companies NEC, Christie and Barco. Sony may have the 4K of very teir 2K resolution but in all other areas they are lacking. These include.

1. Colour consistency across the screen outside DCI spec. This has been put down to the implementation of the 4K system. It is actually 4x 2K chips operating independently. This is said to be greatly improved in the latest revision. (??)
2. Questionable longevity. Sony 4K projectors is based on IDLA projection technology, which has by and large been a failure in domestic projection technology. Makes you wonder about its commercial implementation.
3. proprietary media-block and interfaces. The TI projectors makers can use many different media players (Dolby, DTS-Qube, Dorami, GDC) and are documented so anyone can integrate. Sony has all home grown product. Access to this API’s is unknown.
4. To gain FIPS (A security requirement DCI equipment need to meet) approval, the projectors are large secure refrigerator type boxes. In a comparison of a typical DCI/TI projector with the same performance and brightness of a Sony equivalent. The Sony would typically need more equipment and technology. As such, one would not consider they could compete on price.
5. Sony projectors have the highest running costs of all DCI compliant solutions available. Lamp cost and longevity is said to be on the poor side compared to all other DCI projector makers. This is an important issue as your running costs are actually one of the most important considerations.

If you consider all the above issues, Sony would likely be a distant last on the consideration stakes for any cinema owners.

As the announcements above indicate, this is not the case. So how does this all stack up? Currently Sony have more slated projectors going in then anyone else. And if it keeps going this way, they are likely to gain at least 50% of the market over NEC, Christie, Barco.

If you notice above, the Sony announcements are all done with large cinema organisations. I have not heard of any small independent cinemas selecting Sony.

Rumour is that Sony is selling its solution for the same, if not less then the typical price the current 2k equipment is going in for. In my opinion, they must also be guaranteeing the longevity and a level of running cost as well. Even with the bad sentiment from the past, in large deals like above, that means little to the white collar business man and accountant making the deal.

Sony also has a big roadmap with 4K production as it focus. They do make great (Expensive) professional gear, but they also need to keep ahead of the consumer end of the market. 4K cinema gives this hi-end of the market a reason for existence.

So what is Sony to Gain. If one considers Sony are not likely to actually make a great deal of money out of this. In many ways, they are buying dominance in a upcoming industry. They are giving their tape based servicing infrastructure a new reason for living with 4K tape-less and cinema support businesses. They are putting a Sony logo at the start of nearly all films show in all cinemas. They are building the brand back up to its peek in respect and perceived quality.

Cinema Exhibition portion of the Sony empire is a lost leader. It will not likely loose or make money, but will position the company so save many segments from going out of business and keep Sony the domestic leader it strives to be.

Every TV in every home.. a SONY!

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-06-2009 11:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few of my thoughts and observations about the blog post:

quote: James B Gardiner
As tape work-flows are replaced by tape-less and the professional video arm of any organization becomes more like an IT division.
Tape is not completely dead, especially when one compares the data capacity of tape cassettes and cartridges versus traditional hard discs. Still, Sony's broadcast division is a lot more than a company just selling digital videotape machines. My first thought about Sony's broadcast products always goes toward their video cameras.

The Palace Theater, Canadian, Texas
The AMC and Regal announcements are pretty big. But the Palace Theater in Canadian, TX?

Has any fellow FT forum members been to Canadian, Texas? It's not a big city or suburb. It's a small town way out in the Texas Panhandle along the Canadian River next to the junction of US-83 and US-60. There is a LOT of train traffic on the rail line going through there. About 2200 people live in Canadian, TX. I'm pretty sure the Palace Theater holds the distinction of being the smallest town THX-certified theater in the world. I thought the Washita Theater in Cordell, OK had that title, but Cordell has closer to 3000 people. Some movie with Ben Affleck's brother is being filmed in Cordell (and a few other OK towns) currently.

Anyway, 4K digital projection in a little THX theater in Canadian, TX? Well, I probably have to remind myself that there is a good deal of oil business (and money) in that part of the Lone Star State. So a lot of unlikely things are possible.

In general, cinema owners did not give Sony much of a chance. However, Sony appear more determined than anyone could guess.
The only thing I can figure is either Sony made dramatic improvements with their 4K SXRD projectors or they offered various movie theater chains very attractive pricing deals or both. The early demonstrations of Sony's 4K systems weren't as good as was expected. What changed?

If you notice above, the Sony announcements are all done with large cinema organizations. I have not heard of any small independent cinemas selecting Sony.
The Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, TX and Palace Theater in Canadian, TX are both independently operated movie theaters.

Cinema Exhibition portion of the Sony empire is a lost leader. It will not likely loose or make money, but will position the company so save many segments from going out of business and keep Sony the domestic leader it strives to be.
I'm not sure why Sony has to bother with any "loss leader" style tactics or prestige moves like having 4K SXRD projectors in thousands of movie theaters -even if the venture loses millions of dollars. Sony already has a powerful presence in consumer electronics and seems to be doing well with all its "Bravia" style stuff.

Sony does indeed put out some lemons from time to time. SDDS was the least reliable of the digital sound for film theater audio formats. My first DVD player, a Sony S530D model, turned out to be a piece of crap. I had strong reservations about buying anymore stuff from Sony. But in the past couple years I bought a $80 upconverting Sony DVD player (to replace a dying Pioneer 5-disc DVD player) and then I spend $3000 on a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4 HDTV and $500 on a higher end Playstation 3. Those last 3 products work great. I'm really happy with my TV set and the PS3 is a really great multimedia and gaming device.

The only thing I can figure is Sony needs to do a better job with its marketing.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-07-2009 12:17 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you notice above, the Sony announcements are all done with large cinema organisations. I have not heard of any small independent cinemas selecting Sony.

The historic Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor installed Sony 4k and is currently running Up in 3D. The Michigan, of course, has preserved its 35mm, 70mm and 16mm capacities.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2009 12:39 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin is correct. I was at the Michigan's inaugural public showing on their new Sony, Up in 3D, and, despite their director of programming's numerous factual errors in regards to the technology, it looked stellar. I think this is a testament to the continued importance of setup in digital. Proper projector setup and lamping are as crucial as ever, and the Michigan never fails to deliver (except that they went with Sony over Christie, and RealD over anything that doesn't require a silver screen). If you want to see the best presentation in metro Detroit, and perhaps the state, go to the Michigan. Tell me, I'll come with you.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-09-2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony broadcast, a flagship of the Sony brand, is in its sunset years.
Ha? You got to be kiddin! Sony Broadcast has sold more HD cameras and related production equipment than all the other manufacturers in the world combined and continues to do so as the world converts to HD broadcasting. I don't know where you got that notion or mis-information Jim but it's simply just not true!! Just because the world is going tapeless doesn't mean their sales have dropped and they are going to disappear, it just means they are selling different things. Their HDC-1500 camera is just about tops in the field right now over all others... Oh, and BTW... Betacam SP is still the most widely used recording format in the world.

Mark

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2009 09:02 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

Sony 4K will disappear as soon as the 4K TI chipsets are released.

David

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2009 09:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dream on David...TI isn't going to be releasing 4K chipsets...there is no money (or people) in that division. Furthermore, it would quite litterally cost 4 times as much for TI to make a 4K chip as the 2K chips...it would also END the 2K projector sales completely.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2009 09:36 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough! Good point Steve. Nice thought though! [Cool]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: