Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Simpsons Ride at Universal Studios Florida

Author Topic: Simpsons Ride at Universal Studios Florida
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 10:20 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is the right forum for the question since the ride uses a huge screen and used to use IMAX or 70mm when it was Back to the Future.

I rode this a few days ago and it was clearly some type of digital projection. It didn't look horrible but it certainly didn't look outstanding either. When I peaked back it looked like there were 4 projectors in use. Does anybody know what projectors they are using? Are they "stitching" the screen together for higher resolution or are they just quadrouple projecting the whole screen for brightness?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That ride was recently re-modeled from the BAck to the Future ride. I wonder if they used the same projection system. I remember BTTF as being kind of dull-looking.

If you really want to see an impressive large-screen presentation in FLorida, check out "Soarin'" at Epcot. (AKA "Soarin' Over California" at California Adventure.) It is just great - picture bright and clear. I don't know what they're using for projection there - Phil might chime in here.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-07-2008 02:32 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Each screen of the "Soarin'" simulator ride attractions has an IMAX 15kW 1570 projector running at 48fps and Loop Cabinets for the film.

Charles Phillips
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Charles Phillips   Email Charles Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard they put in 2 Sony 4K digital projectors

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 08:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
check out "Soarin'" at Epcot.
Aw...they dumped 'Captain Eo'? [Wink]

'We're going in!' [thumbsup]

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 07:53 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Phillips
I heard they put in 2 Sony 4K digital projectors
There were definitely 4 projectors when I looked up at the booth.

It is hard to tell the on-screen resolution because of the source material. It didn't look bad and I didn't notice too many jaggies (ecept a split second of Bart's hair outline). Even with 4 projectors (whether they are stiched or overlayed or some combination) the image seemed a little dim.

'Soarin at Epcot and (over California) in Disney's California Adventure absolutely blow it away as far as image quality. To get that type of quality with digital I'd say you'd need a minimum 8k image and probably more. It looks incredibly realistic.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-08-2008 10:17 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, did you see the 4 projectors all being used? They could have several and only be using 1 or 2.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were 4 distinct beams of light in the port glass shining towards the screen and all had the same shape and size.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold on a second! Is Back to the Future The Ride GONE??? [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-09-2008 01:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gone? No. Papered-over? Yes.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2008 04:47 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
To get that type of quality with digital I'd say you'd need a minimum 8k image and probably more. It looks incredibly realistic.

The realism comes from increasing the frame rate, no 24 frame per second system would match. Digital can easly do higher frame rates. Showscan (my favorite) is 5/70mm @ 60 frames per second. Done properly the footage is amazing.. as if you were there.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
The realism comes from increasing the frame rate, no 24 frame per second system would match. Digital can easly do higher frame rates. Showscan (my favorite) is 5/70mm @ 60 frames per second. Done properly the footage is amazing.. as if you were there.
That's why the 'Soarin ride uses IMAX at 48 fps. But....on a screen that big and as close as the viewer is to is, you need high resolution for it to look real. NTSC video at 1000 fps isn't going to look real at all on an 80 foot screen viewed 20-30 feet away.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2008 10:53 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from Epcot, and I wasn't as impressed with Soarin' as I expected to be.

It was a fun ride, but I found the picture quality to be a little low in the clarity department. It's probably a result of the close viewing distance to the screen, but the lack of clarity in the small details surprised me.

It didn't strike me as a focus problem, but rather just a limitation of resolution. When I got home and checked out the specs of the equipment and the source, I was surprised that it didn't look better than it did.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-05-2008 11:59 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly they are going to replace the Soarin' film with a new one next year. The new film will cover more of the world than just California. Considering the current film is about 8 years old, maybe resolution will be improved.

I went into that attraction knowing nothing about it at all, except it was a simulated hang glider ride. As such, I was blown away by how cool the whole experience was. I don't remember a whole lot of small picture details - the thing goes by so fast!

We'll be back in Fla next fall and hope to experience the Simpsons Ride at that time.

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2009 08:17 AM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in the booth.

4 Sony 4K's.

Three that do the whole screen, and one that does the details in the center of the screen where most of your attention is focused.

And, yes, it seems dim.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: