Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » My Almost Imax Digital Experience (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My Almost Imax Digital Experience
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 02:14 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Easton 30 in Columbus, OH has installed an Imax Digital system to replace the MPX 15/70 film unit they have had since 2005. (They have also removed the 35mm projector).

Well, I should say, ALMOST installed it. Upon entering the theatre, I walked up to the booth area and looked in the port holes. There were 2 digital projectors there, one centered at one port hole and another set about 2' to the side of the other port hole, aimed at the solid wall. I assumed that this projector was on some type of track and would roll into place before the film. No such luck. The movie was shown from only 1 digital projector. It looked good, but certainly no better than other large screen digital screenings I have attended.

AMC is now charging a $5 premium for IMAX shows. The Imax Digital Experience uses 2-Digital projectors, not one. They should not charge the extra $5 when things are not correct.

I guess they thought no one would notice.

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 02:20 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should have complained!!!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-08-2009 02:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they should be charging a premium at all for IMAX digital. It's really not any better than regular 2K digital projection. Given a choice, I'll save $5 and see the movie on a smaller screen.

The only exception I see for this is 3D. Dolby 3D and RealD are limited to more modest screen sizes while IMAX digital can at least show 3D on a pretty large screen.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 05:55 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyle, yes, complaints are in process.

Bobby, for the record, AMC is now charging a $4 premium for Digital 3D. I don't know how much they will be charging for Imax 3D.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 06:09 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holly Cow.

Digital revolution is but starting and we are already seeing "bad projection" practices like this on sparkling new houses/equipment. [Eek!]

I can't but help to think what will happen in 5 years. [sex]

Flickery lamps? Out of focus presentations? 2K and screen doors? [Big Grin]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2009 06:26 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no such thing as fool proof. No matter how simple you make something, you can always find someone simple enough to screw it up.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2009 07:21 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I don't think they should be charging a premium at all for IMAX digital. It's really not any better than regular 2K digital projection. Given a choice, I'll save $5 and see the movie on a smaller screen.
I'll make the same choice as you. Image wise it's not any better. I guess the sound is better since they are supposedly using the real IMAX sound system. Although I suspect that with a well designed modern regular sound system you can have equivalent sound in a non-"IMAX" auditorium.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-09-2009 01:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see some confirmation that "IMAX Digital" theaters are using similar sound system hardware as true IMAX houses.

I have the strong suspicion that these ordinary theaters are merely installing a pair of 2K projectors and slapping the IMAX brand name on it. That suspicion is based on what I've already seen with most 2K digital projection installations. The house gets a new projector, but little if anything gets changed in the theater's sound system. Some places may get upgraded to 5.1 surround, but the upgrade will be the bare minimum to get by. You rarely see sound systems tailor made for the specific auditoriums anymore. Maintaining proper EQ and fixing blown speaker drivers, etc. doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it should.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2009 06:15 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't vouch for the speakers behind the screen, but the surround speakers at the AMC Imax are much larger than standard surrounds and they are placed in the rear corners, a position I personally prefer.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2009 09:20 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll post this without comment.

An Imax representative has informed me that one projector is used for 2D and 2 projectors for 3D. I did indicate that my concern was with Imax Digital, not film.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-11-2009 05:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is he the cleaner at IMAX or something? [Roll Eyes]

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2009 04:17 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX Digital installation comes with a complete new audio system when AMC converts from 35mm. I do not know first hand if the MPX replacements are receiving the same speaker, amplifer & processor upgrades.

Digital IMAX does show through 2 projectors even if it is 2S content, however non IMAX content can be played on the IMAX projectors through only one projector. Since you did not specify which movie saw I can only assume it was not an IMAX title explaining why only one projector was used.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2009 11:43 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, one way to sell these theatres on digital "miniMAX"'s (like that, you can use it) is that if there is no IMAX product that week, they can be used as "traditional" 2K projectors. HOWEVER, they should be priced just like any other auditorium.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2009 06:21 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred Tucker said:
quote: Fred Tucker
Since you did not specify which movie saw I can only assume it was not an IMAX title explaining why only one projector was used.
Sorry for not being clear. The film was STAR TREK, and the IMAX Branding trailer was shown, along with trailers for future IMAX presentations. This is not a new IMAX installation, just a conversion from film. This showing was advertised as IMAX and the ticket indicated IMAX.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2009 07:25 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the way I see it, pure and simple deceving, to the verge of fraud.

Imax should clearly state what an "Imax" presentation means.

Does it mean a regular DCI package presented in a single 2K standard Christie projector on a larg-ish screen?

Does it mean a specially re-mastered digital file presented in dual 2K "Imax" projection system?

Obviously they purposely don't want to brand things differently and just want the $5 surchage and give nothing extra in return most of the time. With a single 2K Christie projection, decent sound and a regular DCI package, anybody is currently putting the exact same image on the screen for which they are charging more.

A different story is whenever they get their own masters on their "modified" equipment. If such thing is indeed what they are doing, keeping so hush about the technical details of it makes one thing it's just marketing BS, otherwise they would be boasting pixel-shifting, 4K upresized masters or whatever.

Anyway, good luck to them and hope they get class action suits for just being so retarded about the whole thing and taking business away from good theaters with their deceiving practices.

But people are not dumb and soon they'll realise that, 90% of the time, the Imax they've driven so many miles to watch and paid $5 extra to watch is no better than a good local theatre with decent sound equipment.

In Spain there are currently 4 digital IMAX 3D installations, FWIW.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: