Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Throw the breakers at night? (CP2000 ZX) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Throw the breakers at night? (CP2000 ZX)
Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our CP2000 ZXs will occasionally not show up on the network to the show stores causing the lamp automation cues to stop working. Power cycling the projector fixes the problem right away. Is there any reason not to just cut the power to the CP2000 at the breakers (after shutting it down properly) at closing?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you leave the servers on then leave the projectors on. If you remotely monitor them (hopefully) then they have to be left on. The ZX is a green machine and it'll go to sleep after a period of non-use... So as long as you have proper surge protection AND battery back up for the T.I. section there is no real reason to shut them off.

Mark

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-02-2009 04:20 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you remotely monitor them AND shut them off? Like you have something networked that will turn the servers/projectors on a few minutes before the first show of the day and at night it turns both off?

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Servers are turned off at each auditorium's breaker panel each night.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by remote monitoring. They've got a library server set up and the show manager software running so you can see the status of all theaters from any server, but that's it.

No UPS for anything, and the only surge protection for the projectors themselves is the surge protection on the building's main electrical panels (not even in the individual auditorium panels.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
The M and ZX projectors will go to sleep eventually and in the "Sleep" mode the interface and T.I. stuff is still alive and can be monitored. CP-2000's cannot go to sleep and you just kill the three phase breaker to them. The Dolby gear has to be up all the tinme to remotely monitor the system. You could just go in through the Library Server and use the Show manager remote software to monitor and do all your show configs from home.

With a syatem that comprises a Library server you'd better have decent battery back up for that and each server and each T.I. head end. That means two UPS's per auditorium and one for the Library. All you need is a goofy power bump and you'd be off screen and performing an amazing series of re-boots.

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've already had that fun when a thunderstorm caused the power to drop multiple times one evening.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-02-2009 06:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jon P. Inghram
Servers are turned off at each auditorium's breaker panel each night.
Oh dear, please tell me you are doing a proper shutdown on the servers before you trip those breakers.

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 07:41 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly how were were told to turn everything (except the actual projector) off each night, just flip the breakers. No shutdown procedure at all. I asked if they were sure that was the right way as it seemed horribly wrong to me, but they insisted it was.

Lemme guess... use ctrl-alt Fsomething to switch to the console, log in with a user and password we don't have (unless it defaults to the same as the ones used in the show manager) and use the regular linux shutdown command?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-02-2009 08:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't even told us what kind of servers you are running. But regardless, if you keep popping your breakers at the end of the night, you will experience raid failures and hard drive failures for sure. The servers were meant to be left on all the time, but if you HAVE to shut them down, shut them down properly via the operating system.

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, the servers are all Dolby. I feel like an idiot having to ask here for this stuff, but unfortunately the people we should be asking (and indeed, have asked) apparently don't know or don't care.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2009 09:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pulling the plug on Dolby servers isn't a problem really. I don't recall any "software" shutdown available in the Dolby gear. Just log in/log out. I highly reccomend UPS's be installed or you'll be experiencing lots of un-needed problems of all sorts. Control_Alt_delete isn't going to get you anything although there are other control_alt_XXX functions used for set up that you don't want to mess around with.

Brad is correct that RAID's don't like to be powered down... you will also probably experience more red hard drive lights in doing so. Re-building the raid on the Dolby is about a 4 to 6 hour thing depending on your drive size. The DSS-100 only recognizes drives as a 370 gb drive size no matter what size drive you plug in.

Mark

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2009 02:41 AM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why add a UPS if you are just going to switch the breakers off at night? We just have our dolby servers behind surge protectors for safety. Also I would hate to leave the servers on at night. It just seems like a waste to have them running all night.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2009 08:55 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which UPS is recommended?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2009 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kevin Fairchild
Why add a UPS if you are just going to switch the breakers off at night?
UPS's should be there for power transients and the quick brownouts and so on that typically happen. Surge protectors only aid in over voltage spikes... not undervoltage. With UPS's on the systems you'd almost never know there was any power problems at all and it's also much better for the gear. Some of power bumps that happen will cause you to be rebooting all the equipment in an entire multiplex!

quote: Matt Fields
Which UPS is recommended?

That all hinges on what the total load is. But I like to see a UPS capable of running the server rack for at least 10 to 15 min. if there is a complete power outage. This way you can perform an orderly shutdown of all the gear upstairs. Needless to say, ticketing systems should also be UPS'd

Typically you'd want to UPS power the DSP-100, DSS-100, auditorium switch,and CP-650. You could also power the NA-10 if you want to. All of these have lengthy boot up times. These would be off of one UPS. The Christie or Brand XXX projector front end electronics would be off another seperate UPS.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-03-2009 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are line conditioners, like Tripplites LCR-2400 that will keep the voltage within a 115-125V range.

As for UPS...I'm partial to those that use pure-sine wave outputs and also are 100% run-time...there are ZERO transitions with them...unplug the power...there is no transfer...you were always on the batteries.

You can find them from many sources though APC and Tripplite are the more popular brands.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: