Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Audio Test Files for Digital Cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Audio Test Files for Digital Cinema
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2009 01:13 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there audio test files available for download that can be uploaded to our Cinema Players to perform channel ID and output level? We are connecting the audio output of the players through D/A converters to the sound processor (a CP500 and a DTS 6AD <both are using the external 6 Channel inputs>. I want to make sure the channels are ID'd correctly.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2009 10:20 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for the exact same thing. If they exist, I doubt they'd be available for public download. You'd probably have to obtain them from the server manufacturer.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-01-2009 10:44 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Dolby Show Player has a ton of these built in - I thought they come with the server?

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2009 11:26 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe these come from Dolby if I remember right. If you send me a usb hard drive I will put them on it for you.

Chase

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2009 09:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need for a USB drive. They are very tiny files per say. Just burn them onto a DVD and send em.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2009 11:04 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they small enough to be attached in email? Not only am I looking for channel ID, but pink noise would be even more helpful.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 09:01 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will look and post what I have.

Chase

Adam Lautenbach
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2010 08:56 PM      Profile for Adam Lautenbach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for some of these test files. I just need test tones or pink noise for channel identification. Is anything like this available for download?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2010 09:44 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have one on our GDC's under the "Test" menu. Its call AV_Sub_Test. It has channel ID as well as pink noise bursts. You can also use the framing charts that come with most 3D features (if you have 3D) for channel ID. Some even have pink noise bursts as well.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2010 11:51 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about files we can use to test dolby pro-logic audio being sent from a laptop's headphone port into an HD/SDI embedder then out from an HD/SDI de-embedder into our DMA 8? Basically looking for channel ID and pink noise?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-28-2010 12:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Related question: where can I get a video version of RP40/PA35?

I want Beta and Digi-Beta tapes with the frame dimensions marked for 4x3, 4x3 safe title area, 1.37, 1.66, 16x9 letterbox, 1.85, 2.35, and 2.39.

I also want an HDCAM tape with frame dimensions marked for 16x9, 16x9 safe title area, 4x3 pillarbox, 1.37 pillarbox, 1.66 pillarbox, 1.85 letterbox, and 2.39 letterbox.

There would need to be some way of measuring overscan, as well.

Both should have pink noise and tone ladders on the track, plus 1kHz tones at -10dBFS, -18dBFS, and -20dBFS (or 0vu on Beta SP). Channel identification for Dolby decoding and Dolby E on tracks 3&4 (for the digital formats) would be good, too.

Essentially, I want a "jiffy test" for video. Where can I get this? I would pay good money for it, too. Someone sell this to me!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-28-2010 04:20 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Scott, maybe something like Joe Kane's DVE Pro disc sets?

Digital Video Essentials Pro

The illustrations show HD-DVD discs, but of course there is a BD version now. And this is a disc-based tool set, though I imagine one could carefully (check the H- and V- timing) dub these to HDCAM or any flavors of Betacam for a quick framing and safe area reference.

Or get your clients to provide you a custom framing reference for each production just like the Super 35 film guys do. At least the tape guys can put that on the head of each tape.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-28-2010 06:05 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the Joe Kane set on several set-ups and it is the only use for the (1) HD-DVD player I have on the shelf....

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2010 04:10 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think dolby has such a tape I think I may have a copy at work I could dub and send to you Scott.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-30-2010 02:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Bewegte Bilder' of germany, a post-house, has a nice image and sound check DCP available for download. However, you must register with them.
Don't know if I am allowed to copy it.

https://directcinema.de/

You could also make your own test files with the DCP creation packages being discussed in another thread here.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: