Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Changeover... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Changeover...
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2009 11:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it is happening. We just got delivery of 1 brand new digital projector. Unfortunately they lost the screen in shipping... so we won't get to install till monday but I was curious if any one here has been present at an install and could give me a bit of advice as to what to look for or what kinds of questions to ask the installers.

1 down 9 to go!!! [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2009 11:20 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mentioning what brand you are putting what server e.t.c might give us a hint! [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-17-2009 01:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing for sure...it won't be a Horizon digital projector so you can expect a lot more reliability.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew... We really need more particuluars on this. I disagree with Steve... It could actually be just as much pain in the ass as the Horizon gear is... depending on what they bought you.

In my book for best reliability its Christie Projectors and Dolby Servers. Both Christie and Dolby also have unsurpassed after the purchase service if it's ever needed. If they bought you something else then it's touch and go although Qube and then Doremi would be my second and third choice for servers. For 3-D, Master Image and then Dolby. Real-D(umb)has too many strings attached!!!! The Real-D(umb) light doubler can only work at all in certain situations(and not many at that).

So, please fill us in...

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-17-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting he has Real-D since he is getting a new screen. Is Real-D cheaper? I am guessing that it MUST be.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Is Real-D cheaper? I am guessing that it MUST be.

They try to convince you that it is but it's not and you're stuck with them for 10 years too!! Of course the best alternative is to actually OWN your 3-D system... so that means either Dolby or Master Image... I installed 2 Dolby 3-D systems this week... In my service area 3-D continues to do big buisness and now two sites now have 2 each Dolby 3-D systems!

I think that with Dolby 3-D people are initally put off by the requirement and expense of an industrial dishwasher... Once an intelligent person researches it they discover that it's not as expensive as the other systems are over a given time period.

Mark

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2009 10:49 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good to hear the Horizon stuff is starting to go - now you have a full set of spare parts for the other machines.
One thing to look for during/after the install is how the picture fits the screen - i.e. with the current digital lenses you can adjust for a perfect fit of the picture height and adjust your side masking to a near exact 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 format.

Like everyone else I'm curious what brand equipment you got? also, is the screen flat or curved?

quote:
They try to convince you that it is but it's not and you're stuck with them for 10 years too!!
RealD can be the quickest to return $$ on the investment - and by my calculations scales to multiple screens better (i.e. no matter how many 3D screens you have there are only a limited number of 3D releases to give you a ROI). Long term MasterImage and Dolby definitely look to be more profitable, depending on attendance.

THERE IS NO REQUIRED 10 YEAR CONTRACT WITH REALD - yes, if you are a CBG member there may be a longer term than others have, but look at your initial expense vs that of a shorter term (and you are free to make your own shorter deal).

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-18-2009 12:48 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew Bangs
Well it is happening. We just got delivery of 1 brand new digital projector.
While that is indeed good news and most likely a sound investment (unless you guys went with Sony) I can't resist adding this comment:

For the price of that one D-Cinema screen you could have replaced 2-4 screens of the 35mm junk you have now. [Big Grin]

Edited to add: However, if I get one of the jobs I bid recently, you all may get to watch me eat crow as D-Cinema is one of the options for that venue. [Smile]

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-18-2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I disagree with Steve... It could actually be just as much pain in the ass as the Horizon gear is... depending on what they bought you.
There is a shocker!

Hmmm...there are three possibilities of projector manufacturers in the USA (it isn't likely the others can be as low-cost) and all three have their fans and some who don't like...the Horizon has no fans that I'm aware of...every report on them are troublesome junk. I guess Rich likes em but there's always one guy in a crowd...probably likes them because they are Chinese junk.

On the servers...You listed Dolby, Doremi, and Cube...odds are it is one of those and which server is doing worse than Horizon "equipment?"

Tony...no need to "eat crow"...unless you like doing that sort of thing. There is no shame in putting in either digial or film. I do it all the time. Just do your best with whichever you are working with.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve... at least Christie having Ushio behind them certainly makes for a much more solid company. The other two companies... #1 Is the projector company thats just a corner on someone's desk, and they are doing more biz in another industry at the moment that they may actually allow them to stay in buisness. And #2 is the projector company that's wishy washy at best and seems to do its best to eventually piss off every customer it gets.

There are several small foreign server companies out there trying to pry into the US market that if they only semi sucessful or don't at all could make for a very bad day.

Or IMHO in the D-Cinema biz it may soon be that its best to stick to gear thats actually built in North America.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-18-2009 05:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But back on point...it is rather likely that any DCinema gear that they get will be far more reliable than their Horizon gear...it would be near impossible to get worse.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2009 07:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll switch the "worse" part to "equally as bad"....

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok well from what I can tell so far, because the boss want's it all kept in the box till they install, the base units are strong and the projectors appear to be DLP. we actually got two systems not one but we are only putting in one screen right now. Funny thing is we are off to a rocky start as the projectors were delivered but the screen was lost in shipping... How??? I don't know but we are hoping it shows up tomorrow (monday) for install.

I was more interested in general knowledge questions that might apply to any Digital system. But I guess that could be allot of speculative info. So far these are the only details I have. The owner is sort of just signing the checks right now and not giving out any details or not asking himself which is why I am kind of digging for good questions to ask so we don't all look like a bunch of morons when this stuff is installed. Don't be afraid to put in the silly stuff like "ask where the power button is." God knows I love pointing out obvious stuff like that. So I can take it too. You never know you may surprise me with a basic question I didn't even think of before. You all may be pretty smart about this stuff and take allot for granted but I think their are a bunch of people around that are probably looking through this stuff hoping for some basic info. Hey it's a forum Just put it out there.

P.S. Did I post this in straight to Video or did it get moved??? I probably misunderstood what this section was about. My Bad! I thought it was about movies that went straight to home video... [Confused] [Wink] [thumbsup]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if the bases are Strong most probably you have the NEC line of projectors. Is there a chance you got the Starus Digital Cinema Server from Nec as well? I hope you get a Dolby Server. Do you have any indication you are putting any 3D System?
Demetris

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2009 03:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do believe the system will be 3D because we are hoping the Battle for terra will be our first Digital 3D show. I will get some more info tonight when I go in and will post back later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: