Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » dforced? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: dforced?
Rod Cornelison
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2009 05:48 PM      Profile for Rod Cornelison   Email Rod Cornelison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the smaller chains being forced to go dcinema or what?I have been told that showwest was looking for the coffin nail for 35mm! what a sad time!!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-09-2009 06:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobodys being "dforced" to do anything. The digital thing is the same as when silent converted to sound. Those who didn't convert would eventually close. The same thing will happen this time. Except this time there's a whole lot more money at stake (for everyone except the studios, that is).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-09-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luckilly, my small chain has discount locations that still do very well in the 35mm market - we have no digitial even though the market around us has digital/3D capabilities.

Digital, for now, will be an option (not like sound where it was a either live/or die situation) for anyone who wants to play the "digital game", for there will always be 35mm film that will be struck.

Studios has to realize that there are still tonnage upon tonnage of cinemas nationwide and in the world that can't afford digital at the present price and moment.

Thus, if they still want their product to hit every screen available, there will still be 35mm prints struck.

It would be major self destruction for the studios if they went to a digital only releases in this generation and generations to come.

Not to pick on Mike, but he has a small cinema there in Montana - and does very well with it. Would he benefit if he changed over to digital, and if he did, how long would the benefit last..that we just don't know...

Going to digital, in some markets, would be a bit risky.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-09-2009 07:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MOnte - I don't doubt that film will still be available...the question is, how much film? When all of the big chains are digital, and there are only a handful of 35mm houses left and none of them are big moneymakers for the studios, will we go back to the day of having to wait months for a print?

Here in Forsyth, when I was a teenager it was commonly over a year before a blockbuster movie would play here (and you can imagine the condition of THOSE prints!). I don't think things will go that far, but if it gets down to the point of having one or two prints to service all the indies in Montana (and there are a bunch of us) we would be in real trouble. People here want to see those blockbusters right now just like their big city counterparts.

James. R. Deeter
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2009 07:13 PM      Profile for James. R. Deeter   Email James. R. Deeter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will see a day when if you need a 35mm print, you will have to guarantee the cost of the print on top of your film settlement.....

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-09-2009 08:27 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James; you already have to guarantee that. "No print available. . . "

I don't suggest you be the last to go video. I do suggest you not be in the first 60%. More later. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-09-2009 10:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, the difference here is that with sound...you were offering something silent didn't. That is not the case with digital/film. There is no up-side to what digital can do versus film, from an exhibitor's standpoint.

It is really up to the exhibitors to decide what they want to do.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2009 10:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
There is no up-side to what digital can do versus film, from an exhibitor's standpoint.

Oh Steve... Come on...

A: Out here digital has made such an improvement in presentation that it's almost stupendous. I can actually go to movies locally again and do not have to wait till I'm on the road at some nice theater we installed someplace to see the latest film. It can make a difference and it takes ALOT LESS effort that it does with film to get really good results.

B: It can cut back on labor expenses drastically without cutting back presentation quality. Most if not all servers can operate completely automatically.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-10-2009 08:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark...you keep preaching, drinking the Kool-aid and such...but all your yapping doesn't make it true. Enjoy lowering your standards.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-11-2009 06:49 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what "local conditions" are where Mark is, but here in Louisville presentation is pretty good to excellent. Even the bad guys aren't too bad. I have not seen film damage since the 1970's. Most theatres have 16+ ft/lm. and Ultra style lenses. Dolby Digital is the norm for first run.

Is D Cinema an improvement? Hard to say, but it seems to be dependent upon who did the set up and what the title is. I would say on average, film still has a slight edge. Louis

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2009 07:17 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Luckilly, my small chain has discount locations that still do very well in the 35mm market - we have no digitial even though the market around us has digital/3D capabilities.

I fear that studios will make 35mm harder to get and more expensive to obtain as the large chains convert.

While it's "niche" right now, it's only a matter of time before film presentation is abandoned by the studios due to the decrease in cost when enough exhibitors have converted.

Our independent theaters will be left in the dark when that day comes, unless we find a way to make the transition profitable.

I believe independent theaters have been a thorn in the side of the majors for a while, and digital gives them a valuable tool to do us in for good unless we find a way to go with the flow...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2009 11:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Is D Cinema an improvement? Hard to say, but it seems to be dependent upon who did the set up and what the title is. I would say on average, film still has a slight edge.
I pretty much agree Louis but it's not who did the setup and what the title is but who is actually running the booth. In this area where the booth mongers are not paid anything they get know nothings working the booths and most don't even know what a surround channel is let alone a motor brush in a plattter motor. We even had one location where the booth operator(ok, iddiot) didn't know what or where the projector motor was on a 4-Star sound head. So very definately yes... Digital has drastically improved things around here. It has eliminated those types of booth people for the most part. No more scratched prints either. Lower standards...? Hardly! The average digital print looks better as per color balance, isn't scratched, and is far steadier then the average film print! The sound is actually far superior to film! Lower rez... sure... but a very logical trade off for having everything else right. We now have higher standard presentations at most digital locations than we ever had since there were real projectionists on duty.

Edit: All in all digital's slightly lower rez is very definately a decent trade off for poorly matched reels,bad color, shaky images, scratches and dirt.

Mark

[ 04-11-2009, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2009 12:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Not to pick on Mike, but he has a small cinema there in Montana - and does very well with it. Would he benefit if he changed over to digital, and if he did, how long would the benefit last..that we just don't know...
I often think about Mike's situation when I read a lot of what Mark Gulbrandsen writes in many threads on this forum. I don't doubt Mark - in fact I believe what he says about the "booth mongers". All of us understand that. However, back to Mike, given his geographic location it might actually benefit him to convert to digital.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a single screen house in rural Montana is a perfect example of using technology to cut out shipping costs over hundreds of miles from a depot. It is not an upstart, but a landmark operation with expert ownership. Perhaps setting aside 15% of the yearly net income (just an example) will help build a slush fund in the event digital picks up steam. Again, I'm not a businessman, but this is something I would consider doing if I owned a theater - if anything to lessen the blow digital will bring to the bottom line.

Now I also believe in this:

quote: Louis Bornwasser
I don't know what "local conditions" are where Mark is, but here in Louisville presentation is pretty good to excellent. Even the bad guys aren't too bad. I have not seen film damage since the 1970's. Most theatres have 16+ ft/lm. and Ultra style lenses. Dolby Digital is the norm for first run.
Where I'm at "rural" means much closer to the city than many of us country boys want to admit. I think it might be more wise for many of us to stay with film. Our shipping distances are less, our customer travel distances are less, and lets face it - most of the fools in the seats think they're already watching digital to begin with.

Point is nothing beats film done right. And so I too fear:
quote: Anslem Rayburn
Our independent theaters will be left in the dark when that day comes, unless we find a way to make the transition profitable.
I just hate to see all these great theaters go out of business because changing technology willed it. As one customer commented to me, "Its only a movie ... nothing more."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-11-2009 12:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a single screen house in rural Montana is a perfect example of using technology to cut out shipping costs over hundreds of miles from a depot.
Shipping charges aren't really the big concern - TES films cost the same to ship to anybody, and Deluxe uses UPS to ship from Denver so it's not too bad either. We're lucky in that we're only a two-day ship from Denver.

The biggest issue for us, is print availability. That's always been the case. The second biggest issue is required play time. If the studios would get off of the "two week minimum" for smaller towns and let us play movies for one week, we would love to open a brand new film every single week and happily pay the higher film rent to do it. But as it is, we have to wait until "later" for many films because they wouldn't have the legs to carry a two-week run for us. (Or three weeks in some cases.)

I still fail to see why they can't allow two small theatres in neighboring towns play a film a week each. The studio's screen count would be the same, and the money generated by that print would almost double.

This is where digital could really help us out. As much as I love film, if the satellite delivery system gets affordable (thereby reducing the print and shipping costs to near zero) and the studios would hold still for shorter play times, we'd be digital as quickly as possible.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-11-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many feature films are actually being delivered to theaters via satellite? Our local Carmike theater has a big dish on its roof, but I think they're still getting feature films on large capacity hard discs.

Are the compression levels higher on movies that are downloaded via satellite? It would seem like it would take a long time to download movie files in excess of 200GB from a satellite.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: