Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Whatever happened to the Mod 4k projector project from Panorama Labs?

Author Topic: Whatever happened to the Mod 4k projector project from Panorama Labs?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2009 03:16 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago there was some press about panorama labs using "off the shelf" telecom optical switching technology to make a 4k projector. Last I heard Panorama Labs was purchased by ST synergy of Australia. Does anybody know if this technology or projector is still being worked on?

At the time I was hoping it would be a better (and cheaper) alternative to Sony for 4k projection.

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2009 05:24 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know they were not purchased by any company from Australia - they were originally partnered with them (or at least that is the story I heard from their stateside ownership).

They have now cleared any ownership issues and operate under the Photonica company name. I talked to one of their executive team both at the 3D demo in LA and ShoWest - they are still working towards a cinema projector, no ETA yet though. I've heard a description of what they have coming for consumer electronics and it sounds pretty cool if it makes it to production.

I just checked the Panorama Synergy website and they are touting an upcoming 4K projector . . . . . I wonder who has rights to the IP after the split . . . . .

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: