Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby 3D glasses on the cheap ...

Author Topic: Dolby 3D glasses on the cheap ...
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2009 04:05 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Dolby-Debuts-Buy-One-Get-One-bw-14812428.html

quote:
At ShoWest 2009, Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE:DLB - News), announced a limited-time “buy one get one free” Dolby® 3D Glasses offer for exhibitors installing a new Dolby 3D Digital Cinema system. The special promotion will run from April 6 through May 22, 2009.
Finally. A 50% discount on those $27.50 glasses.

Even if for a limited time only. Comes to show they CAN be sold for less.

I hope they don't return to stupid prices afterwards.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-02-2009 05:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno Julio....Dolby had a real cheap deal last year on the 3D stuff...that only lasted for a period time and it is now back at the normal price.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-02-2009 10:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can never infer cost based on sale price from Dolby; all Cinema Processors were sold below cost until the CP-500. Louis

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2009 11:42 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis: I'm not infering it from the sale price, as I have a good estimate of the cost and, don't worry, Dolby/Infitec are not selling them below cost during the promotion.

But who was it that said that Dolby was a for-profit company? [mark]

And remember it wasn't but so many months ago they were $39 ...

And when they first introduced the system not that long ago, they were seriously quoting $70 ...

And dealer's discount is low ....

Now, I know about manufacturing scale and pricing ... but come on ... We all know this is were they are making the money. Although the glasses, for what they are (i.e. compete with $0.50 glasses from other systems), do have a comparatively tremendously high manufacturing cost. And will continue to have it, as a large part of the problem is the angle-dependent filtration that makes them do curved lenses if they want good performance.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-04-2009 09:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, its true to be exact. One of our customers is getting two systems because of the Dolby blow out. Dolby only gets this way when things get stagnant and yes there is a definite time period this will happen. There are a number of stipulations to the deal though that I won't elaborate on here.

Julio... With Ray retiried of course they're a "For Profit Company"... just ask anyone that works there... they will actually tell you that! When Ray ran it if he wanted to do something and not make a profit he had that option...

Don't forget that magic filter wheel still lists for about 14 grand!

We sold quite a few 3-D systems because of various "happennings" at Showest.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-04-2009 11:01 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis continues to state that Dolby did not make money on cinema processors until the CP500.

Just not true! The 500 had the lowest profit margin of any Dolby processor, before or after.

There are lots of ways to calculate profit, particularly in Hollywood of course.

All CP's were essentially priced at 5 x parts cost plus office overhead. A lot of companies work with this formula and it works well.

Ray Dolby could put his money out on R & D, to get into a market, but he never put units out at a loss.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-04-2009 06:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Louis just sold CP-45'S [Eek!] .

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: