Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » AMC Signs $315,000,000 Deal with Sony 4k Digital (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: AMC Signs $315,000,000 Deal with Sony 4k Digital
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 06:12 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NY Times - 3/30/09

quote:
Sony says it has signed a $315 million deal to install its digital projectors in all AMC Entertainment theaters.

The contract will close the gap between Sony and Texas Instruments in the digital projector market. Texas Instruments has equipped 5,476 screens in North American theaters with its digital light processing projectors. The deal with AMC will increase Sony’s presence to about 5,000 screens.

Theater chains are replacing film projection equipment with digital versions because new technology provides a clearer picture. No film is used, so digital images are devoid of scratches and wobbly images. Distribution costs will also be lower, as studios no longer need to create and distribute reels of film. Rather, movies can be downloaded from a satellite or served to several projectors in one theater from a hard drive.

The Sony projectors will be installed beginning in the second quarter this year and continue through 2012.

Frank Rash, an AMC senior vice president, said AMC settled on Sony’s 4K technology because “digital cinema gives us a huge opportunity to do 3-D, live broadcasts and playback of live events.”

(Article by Eric A Taub)

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-30-2009 07:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And those that don't learn from history.....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-30-2009 09:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds as if there will be some cheap SDDS units for sale over the next few years....

Does this deal fall under the auspices of the DCIP arrangement, or did AMC decide that DCIP was worthless and make this deal on its own? Will they get a discount on Sony/Columbia "film" rentals now? It sounds as if they agreed to pay about $68k per screen, which may be a reasonable deal if it includes the server and installation.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 09:19 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep and if history follow suit with Sony they will stop supporting the product about the time they do the final install for AMC in 2011 0r 2012. [fu]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 10:39 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember: sdds stood for "someday, damn soon." Louis

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was "Shoulda Done Dolby Stereo".

quote:
Frank Rash, an AMC senior vice president, said AMC settled on Sony’s 4K technology because “digital cinema gives us a huge opportunity to do 3-D, live broadcasts and playback of live events.”
Does that make sense to anyone else? Can't you do those things with just about any digital projector? The quote doesn't seem to explain why AMC "settled" on SONY.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 02:00 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC has a culture of doing everything differently. Their motto from years back was "AMC, There is a Difference!"

Periscopes, Smart, Ceiling Surrounds, Taurus Screens...

One of these days they will hit a home run.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-30-2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer my own question, this deal does fall under the DCIP umbrella.

It does seem odd to me that they would commit their entire chain to a single-vendor product. Unlike SDDS, every AMC screen would be put at risk of going dark if Sony decides to abandon the product or significantly raise parts prices or if a major part becomes NLA. It would have been a better long-term business decision to install a mix of equipment, which would prevent the company from being completely screwed if there are issues with the Sony product.

Apparently this is what happens when you hire your CEO from Starbucks.... [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
I thought it was "Shoulda Done Dolby Stereo".

Interestingly the Sony's are among the most expensive to operate day to day because they require a pair of special Ushio 2kw lamps!! List is about 1200 bucks a lamp and lamp life pretty much sucks and is not consistant.

I'm pretty sure they were saying that as they replaced alot of the SDDS units with CP-650's!!!

The new one will be Shoulda Done Christie Digital.... you watch!

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
Periscopes, Smart, Ceiling Surrounds, Taurus Screens...
Didn't AMC try to convert to 16mm about 20 years ago?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AMC Signs $315 Deal with Sony 4k Digital
Cheap deal, isn't it?

[Razz]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, you all got it wrong. SDDS is System Dumps During Show. [Big Grin]

Steve summed it up: AMC is incredibly stupid and hasn't learned from history.

Sony needs to stay the [sex] of the the cinema biz..they cause a lot more damage than good. [fu]

quote: Sam Chavez
One of these days they will hit a home run.
Sam, I hope that was sarcasm....AMC hasn't even managed a base hit yet...

AMC = American Monkey Cinema...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 08:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another example of too much money and not enough brain! Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-30-2009 08:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their ALL DIGITAL Orchard 12 or whatever it is called out her in Denver is pretty good, much better than most AMC theaters. No Torus (that I saw), surround speakers were on the wall and not the ceiling, seats were comfy and the auditorium looked very nice and was comfortable. It was like going to a non-AMC theater!! Needless to say I was very confused. The picture was pretty good coming from one of those Sony 4Ks (I assume), but of course the source was 2K like most/all digital movies. This theater also had an IMAX which I did not see, but it is not real IMAX it is the fake digital IMAX so it probably is pretty lame.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2009 09:42 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought SDDS ment "sound dies during show". [Wink]

It will be interesting to see how quickly this venture goes forward. Wonder where AMC is getting the money from??

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: