Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ushio Digital Bulbs

Author Topic: Ushio Digital Bulbs
Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 11:04 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have experience with the Ushio DXL60BA2 in a Barco DP100? Or any other machine? We've been using Christie(I know Ushio owns Christie) but Ushio has developed this for the DP100.
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-27-2009 01:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope... Is there supposed to be some advantage over using it instead of the CDXL-60 lamp? Most of the BARCO DP-100's in this neck of the woods are running regular CXL or XBO type cimema lamps...

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2009 05:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco DP100 has a very limited length of lamps it can work with. Also, one has to have a very short cable with a VERY large lug on it.

Ushio makes specific lamps for the Barco line of projectors. UXLs cross over to the Christie CXLs in terms of light/package, the DXLs crossover to Christie CDXLs.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2009 01:25 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usual claims about more light output for the Ushio vs. Osram. Barco doesn't seem to realize that the lamps are made by the same company as I was told today that they don't show a Christie bulb for the DP100 but do show Ushio. We've been using the Christie CXL60 and were wondering about the Ushio DXL since they make a point about it being designed with Barco's input.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-28-2009 08:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CXL-60 and DXL-60 are NOT the same lamp. The CXL-60 and UXL-60 are the same lamp (light output/electrode design). The DXL-60 corresponds to the CDXL-60.

Now, in addition to this, one has to have the right ends to fit the fixtures, right length to fit the lamphouse, and right cable to be short enough an have a lug big enough.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Ranucci
Usual claims about more light output for the Ushio vs.
Well, Actually Ushio manufactures Osram's higher power short gap lamps... Osram just puts their own metal ends on them. This may also be related to why Osram doesn't always have them in stock as was the case last week when I was in Seattle and the customer tried to order an Osram... He went with Christie instead.

quote: Steve Guttag
The Barco DP100 has a very limited length of lamps it can work with. Also, one has to have a very short cable with a VERY large lug on it.

Thats not really a problem nor is there an actual limitation from 6kw on down, its more what can your dealer do for you. We custom cut the lead on the Christie lamps we sell for DP-100's. It doesn't void the lamp warranty on either CXL or CDXL lamps and since we have the correct swaging tool and metric lugs to do the job this really makes more sense as it allow a broader range of lamps to be utilized. We have in the process of all this also tested several different lamps for Christie in the DP-100. Also remember that several of our customers are operating the less expensive/longer life CXL cinema type lamps in cases where the light level doing so is sufficient. The DP-100 can accomodate the length of long 6kw lamps so one can actually can fit just about any lamp 6kw on down once one aquires adaptors from BARCO or makes the correct adaptors himself(easy!). One just has to be careful how he picks the lamp in the "New Lamp" section of the Premiere software because there is a somewhat limited number of lamps to choose from. And also how high one goes with lamp current. The Lamp Dimming setting in the macros allows for a very broad current range!! Now for those that don't have a proper swaging tool I can see the need for the lamps... The proper swaging tool costs about 800 bucks and the metric lugs are very hard to find but available. Or might being able to do this save someone with a DP-100 some money in the long run....?

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-28-2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$800? Hmmmm I'd be surprised if we paid that much a billion years ago. It is quite a simple, but effective device that we have used for putting lugs on DC cables for a long time. As for lugs...most any type is available...though I've bored out SAE holes to the nearest metric n the drill press many times.

I'll have to check on the warranty thing...most warranties preclude any modification, which could include the cable. Naturally, I'd much prefer to use Christie lamps in all applicatinos, film/digital. I wouldn't poo-poo ASL lamps too much either...they have really tried to improve their product immensely since aquiring the ORC designs. In fact, I've put an XM6000HSC up against a CXL-60SC....lumen for lumen, hour for hour, the ASL kept up. This has been the case on every one I've tried. The ASX XM4202H/VC (should be called HSC) is one bright lamp too...fits in a 4K/4.5K application and gives off the light of nearly a typical 6K...only down side...800-hours.

Anyway...we are going to open with Ushio to handle the DXL lamps but it is good to know about the CXL's fitting...I've just found that there is VERY little wiggle room on lamp length to get it to fit that lamphouse.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-28-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We mill out the adapter using a jig made just for that purpose. Any electrical supply has the lugs, and the very large crimper.

As far as warranty is concerned, both Christie and Osram have removable cables. In fact they are swappable. You can remove a botched cable if you need to.

Claims that the factory is out-of-stock are grossly exagerated. Best to buy from a dealer that actually stocks these "exotic" bulbs. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2009 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Louis some of the Christie lamp leads are NOT removable!! They are permanently attached. That is why the swaging tool and lugs. We have a fairly large swaging tool... about three feet long and it's used for a multitude of tasks including stage and curtain work... Hence its a bit larger then most normal shops swaging tools. In the Barco its important to use the proper size metric lug for a number of reasons. And no, not any normal electrical supply usually has the proper size metric size lug in stock. We've tried all the big distributers that are the norm in all cities. We finally found a small stash at a local specialty electrical supplier.

Steve... chack with Jim Dukes... he gave us the go ahead to cut the lead shorter.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-29-2009 04:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, It was actually Jim that got me going with Ushio! I have no intention of starting to spec/use Osram.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed that... I don't know anyone off hand that would be interested in going with anything from Osram. My only point was that if you need to shorten a lead on a Christie lamp then ask Jim before doing so.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-22-2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now its too late...we are an Ushio dealer for their "DXL" series lamps for both Barco and Sony DCinema projectors!

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: