Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Keeping up with the competition with Digital IMAX (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Keeping up with the competition with Digital IMAX
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-11-2009 08:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hawaii has two major theatrical chains. The larger one with theatres on almost all of the main islands in the state is Consolidated Theatres operated by Reading International. The other chain is Regal Entertainment Group with theatres only on the island of Oahu at the present time. Between the two, Regal seem to be more innovative by being the first to show digitally projected pictures with their Real D 3-D system. In addition to putting Real D in another complex at their Pearl Highlands complex recently, Regal now has IMAX Digital at their flag ship complex, the Dole Cannery 18. Not wanting to be left out in the cold, Consolidated now has Dolby 3-D installation in three of their theatres with plans to add more. Although it is not the real thing, I was very impressed with Digital IMAX when I saw WATCHMEN yesterday and now plan to see only the IMAX version of films that interests me rather than the standard 35mm version of that movie. I am sure many people feel the way I do and Regal now has the advantage with many of us. It is unfortunate for Consilidated that they were not the first with Digital IMAX because any one of their four large auditoriums at their Ward Centre 16 theatres are better suited for it than the Dole because they are bigger and in my opinion nicer. How much does Digital IMAX cost and are there competing chains like Hawaii's Consolidated and Regal theatres in the same market that each has a system in one of their premier house?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital Imax is very expensive both to initiate the license as well as pay the yearly royalty and maintenance fees. Unfortunately I can't divulge quoted pricing since I signed an NDA when we visited IMAX.

Locally here (Detroit) AMC has a lock on the market with their upcoming planned systems since IMAX only allows a certain number in a given market. I would bet that Regal has rights to IMAX in the bulk of your area so any competitor most likely has no chance to install one for many years.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2009 12:03 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't digital IMAX basically sort of just like THX but guaranteeing that it is the largest screen in the complex and messing with the aspect ratio?

If I just took any auditorium with a big screen, went to 2k digital cinema and upgraded the sound system I can provide just as good of a presentation as digital "IMAX" (well better if you factor that I'll have the proper aspect ratios). Maybe there is a slight advantage on dual projector 3D (which I can do if I want also) but I don't understand why people are willing to pay more for digital IMAX. Nobody charged extra for THX screens in the 80's and 90's and those were always the best auditoriums in the complex (and usually the biggest screens).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-12-2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to pay extra to watch 15-perf 70mm based IMAX (the real IMAX format). I am not willing to pay a premium to see 2K digital projection blown up great big.

Certain theaters in my region of the country, such as the Moore Warren 14, are already showing 2K digital great big without having a stick an IMAX name on it. And the ticket price isn't any different -so long as you're not sitting in the premium balcony section.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-12-2009 02:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

I do agree with you about 15 perf 70mm IMAX and I really miss it now that the Waikiki IMAX has been closed for for over two years but the new digital IMAX system at Regal's Dole Cannery is the next best thing in my opinion. I have seen several regular digitally projected movies in another auditorium at the Dole Cannery that has impressed me but they were pale in comparison to digital IMAX. One of movie I saw in regular digital projection was 300, a film by Zack Synder who also directed WATCHMEN that has impressed me but I enjoyed his lated film in digital IMAX more because of the larger picture that appear to be much sharper and that wonderful sound. It cost me $6.75 to see a regular movie with my senior discount and the added cost to see a digital IMAX movie was only $3.25 more for 2-D and $5.75 for 3-D. Until something better is offered, I am more than willing to pay extra to see a IMAX digital movie.

-Claude

James. R. Deeter
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for James. R. Deeter   Email James. R. Deeter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Bobby, but according to IMAX, 15/70 will be no more. Our company has some upcoming IMAX installs and we are being told they will have to be digital ( and our current 15/70's will have to convert at some point ) I am hearing the upcoming StarTrek will be IMAX digital only...no 15/70 !

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-12-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that's the case then IMAX needs to add another couple of acronyms next to its brand name to go along with the MPX, DMR, etc. The first is "IMAX-BS" -which is what that digital version is. And then it will be IMAX-RIP when competing movie theaters install their own giant-sized screens with digital projection -all without the IMAX brand name and licensing cost.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-12-2009 05:44 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Imax refuses to differentiate between the giant-screen 15/70 systems and its new digital system, and has pissed off both film-based giant-screen theaters and chain-based digital theaters by claiming that it is not a giant-screen experience, but an immersive experience instead.

quote:
Is IMAX the next New Coke?
James Hyder, LF Examiner

... In September 2008, Richard Gelfond, co-CEO of Imax Corporation, told members of the Giant Screen Cinema Association that “we don’t think of [IMAX] as the giant screen.” Rather, he said, “it is the best immersive experience on the planet.”

The company takes this position because it has chosen not to differentiate its new digital projection system in any way from the 15/70 film systems it has been installing in giant-screen theaters since 1970. This despite the fact that, according to Imax VP Larry O’Reilly, its two major digital partners, AMC Entertainment and Regal Entertainment Group, both originally wanted to brand the new screens as “IMAX Digital.” And based on the reaction Gelfond’s announcement received in New York (and on many conversations I’ve had since) many, if not most, institutional IMAX operators would prefer this as well. In short, virtually all of Imax’s customers and partners would like to see a distinct new identity for the digital system.

But Gelfond flatly rejected this possibility, offering an absurdly flawed analogy with BMW automobiles. He said that the German carmaker offers the 7-series line of larger, more powerful, luxury models as well as the smaller, entry-level 3-series cars. “People don’t say ‘The 3 isn’t a real BMW because it’s smaller.’”

Of course, this ignores the fact that the model numbers, to say nothing of the prices, clearly distinguish BMW’s different product lines in consumers’ minds, while maintaining the unity of the brand. No car buyer believes he has bought a $125,000 760Li only to receive a $30,000 328i. ...

Furthermore, it is my understanding that (at least with some Regal and AMC installs mentioned in press releases) these new installs are joint ventures rather than licensed technology.

quote:
Under the terms of the joint venture agreement, IMAX and Regal Cinemas will share the cost and profitability of the new theatres.

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 02:56 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital IMAX uses the same 2K projectors as a DCI system. Just two. Two mainly because of 3D (Ie cheaper 2 projector 3D system with no royalties.. And best light performance needed for large screens). I am not a big fan of this two projector with half pixel offset. For 3D is definatly the way to go however. The content is 2k mastered in most cases anyway. And I do not know if they are using a proprietary player that can play bigger then 2K and some how matrix it out so they some how archive a little more detail. (With half pixel offset)

Apart from the bigger screen, there is NO difference between DCI 2K and IMAX digital... from what I have read about the digital IMAX system....
If anything, I expected this to give the Sony kit meaning. But then again Sony have some technical issues (4k made from 4x2k DMDs that do not seem to be able to archive the same colour) , and IMAX are quite annul about perfection. Probably could not cut it.

And there is the fact Sony are dumping all the current tech for something new coming out.. Something that will be able to archive DCI specs. Cannot wait to see what they do.

James

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 04:55 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James B Gardiner
Sony have some technical issues (4k made from 4x2k DMDs that do not seem to be able to archive the same colour)
I did not follow you there. 4x2k DMD's? Who is doing that?

All DCI "certified" projectors I'm aware of either use 3x2K DMD's to do 2K (NEC, Christie, Barco) or 3x4K LCos to do 4K (Sony).

[Confused] [Confused]

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 07:23 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio,
from what I have been told, and it makes sense, the sony DMD, to archive 4k, use 4x2k wafers butted up together. This is what I have heard, and it would also back up the other info I heard about Sony projectors. They cannot archive consistent (To DCI spec) colour across the image. Which the above implementation would be the result of.
Ie, Can you get two TV sets, exactly the same. (No)
Try to get them to archive the same colour and gamma curve.
Ie same issue with 4x2k DMD butted up against each other. You archive the 4k Image, but also have colour consistency problems.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony DCI projectors do not use DMD's (Digital Micromirror Devices) at all.

They are a type of 3xLCos (Liquid cristal on silicon) panel design, which Sony calls SRXD (Silicon Reflective X-tal Display). Instead of chips made to behave like millions of tiny mirrors that can move really fast, they are made out of chips in which tiny cells of a liquid crystal material changes the amount of light reflected from them by changing the rotation of the polarization of the light coming out, which is them filtered based on this polarization variation pre-and-post reflection.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/SXRD/cinema.shtml
[Link is to sony's page on their cinema 4K projectors]

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/SXRD/pdfs/SXRD_VSAP_WP_v3.1.pdf
[Link is to Sony's white paper on SXRD technology]

Therefore, all the rest of the talk about color, etc, related to some theoretical 4xDMD panel projection design doesn't apply [Wink] , not to mention that I don't think it's correct to begin with.

Sony's projectors or technology doesn't have an inherent problem with color fidelity or gamma uniformity in production. They do have manufacturing difficulties and other issues which Sony has not, in my opinion, "mastered" yet, but they are not "inherent" in the technology, except for your usual case of engineering and manufacturing capabilities limits on such "delicate" technology.

From my point of view, TI's micromirrors are a more "solid" and "mature" technology (i.e. all engineering quirks have been ironed out). But it's also a less "perfect" technology.

THEORETICALLY, Lcos can surpass DLP's in just about any quality measure (i.e. contrast, color gamuth, resolution, fill factor, etc). Only in raw light level, and possibly in absolute black performance, Lcos present a THEORETICAL dissadvantage over DMD.

In practice, most Lcos technologies are hard to make right and are not as polished an straight forward as DMD's, not to mention more expensive, and as a result DLP's fear quite well against them in PRACTICAL terms, even surpassing some real-life practical implementations.

In DCinema applications even more so, where the huge light levels that are sometimes required, play against one of the weaknesses of Lcos (more fragile to high temperatures) and in favor of the main advantage of DMD's (high reflectivity, virtually no absortion of light's energy).

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 08:40 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio,
Sorry I used the DMD acronym to represent the CHIP, be it Mirrors or a type of Sutter over a mirror.

Still looking at your documents, the PDF for example. The image on page 13, for example shows 4 separate data paths going onto the chip. This would indicate that the CHIP may be one big wafer, but that it may also be 4 x 2K engines butted against each other on the chip. Ie having, on chip, different voltage regulators for each 1/4. And as such, resulting in the problems as described above.
The document does also mentioned how you can drive a image to the 4 sections of the chip etc.

Maybe the next revision of this design from Sony, is a revamp of the Chip resulting in overcoming the DCI issues the TI people like to point out.
I am just speculating, but I know Sony does have some technical challenges with archiving DCI specs. But then again, it does not mean it does not looks amazing on screen. The issues may not be perceivable to most people if at all. [Wink]

I have seen a Sony on screen, and it looked great, but have not had test images and analyzer etc.

I would also like to point out that LCos as a domestic product has completely failed, from my understanding, with all product being pulled from market. (They had a MASSIVE fail rate in field and cost Sony a packet on warrently return from what I heard) Can anyone back this up? I must admit, you don;t hear about Lcos projectors any more.

James

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 09:47 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of Lcos projectors on the market, with new ones recently introduced, specially from JVC.

Also, a new big player, Canon, has entered the Lcos projection market, with several models in the stores.

Lcos is not a "domestic technology" anymore than DLP is, as it's used for the highest definition projectors ever, including the sony DCinema's or the previous generation Dcinema by Huges-JVC, or the current 8K Super Hivision projectors.

Lcos is but a generic term used for all reflective liquid crystal technologies. Different manufacturer's call them different things, such as D-ILA JVC or Sony's SRXD. All just variations of the same thing and a way to differenciate between them and other image projection technologies such as transmissive LCD, GLV or DLP.

I don't know where you are getting the "4 chips". The need for four beam splitters is only due to the light having to be previously polarized. Look at page 25 from Sony's white paper and you'll see the usual simplified light path. White light is divided in three primary colors, reflected off the chips and recombined for the output. Same as DMD in essence, although in this case polarization is used as a necessity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCOS
[Link to wikipedia on Lcos showing a simplified light path]

quote:
LCoS technology has the potential to enable the manufacture of big-screen high-definition televisions with very high picture quality at relatively low cost. However, LCoS, while conceptually straightforward, can be a difficult technology to master; a number of companies have dropped out of the LCoS business in recent years. Nonetheless, as of June 2006, proprietary methods for mass-producing LCoS developed, and at least four manufacturers now produce LCoS-based rear-projection televisions for the consumer market.

Commercial implementations of LCoS technology include: Sony's SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) and JVC's D-ILA (Digital Direct Drive Image Light Amplifier). Every company which produces and markets LCoS rear-projection televisions uses three-panel LCoS technology,[citation needed]. Sony and JVC both produce and market front-projection displays that use three LCoS panels.

Developers and manufacturers who have left the LCoS microimaging market include: Philips, Microdisplay Corporation, Spatialight, Syntax-Brillian.

Display system architectures
There are two broad categories of LCoS displays: three-panel and single-panel. In three-panel designs, there is one display chip per color, and the images are combined optically.

Three-panel designs
In a DLP device the light is separated into three components and then combined back: Two beam splitters are needed. In LCoS devices the light is additionally polarized and then analyzed; four beam splitters are needed.

There is no "4 chips" or anything like that going on Sony's projector at all, be DMD or any other type of device. 3 imaging chips, each receiving one color of the light splitted in 3 main paths. The additional path opened in some designs is to allow for the pre-polarization and post-absortion.

There is no "four sections" or "four imagers" or "four-anything" in this technologies that would yield any such potential problems you are describing. Even if there were, the issues of non-uniformity etc you are referring to would not be a real life issue at all.

You can calibrate two entirely separate (digital) projectors to match almost perfectly, so much more you could match "two projectors heads combined into the same machine" if such thing was necessary for some reason.

I have the feeling whoever told you about the "matching 4 imagers" didn't have a clue as to what he was saying or somehow something got lost in the translation. The four drivers paths to the chip are there because it's not practical to create such a large flat cable from such a small device. But claiming this would produce color uniformity issues would be like believing that two RAM memory modules split into two slots would yield a different result than 1 single module of twice the capacity. If you want to use all addressing lines at the same time, you would need twice the pins on the single module, which would not be practical. And regarless, the RAM would always produce the same (practical) result.

Even if internally the imager was made of 4 chips, which I don't believe they are, they could be from the same wafer even. Each wafer produces over 200 working chips, so no problem on picking 4. Even if they were from different wafers, semiconducting manufacturing capabilities have such small tolerances that they all would probably be a perfect match to begin with and not even any adjusting would be required.

Thinking that tolerances are so wide between chips in the same wafer to produce performance differences, and worse yet, significant and uncorrectable performance differences is the same as thinking that parts of one single imager chip perform differently than other parts of it.

Search on google images for D-ILA and you'll see JVC 8Kx4K imaging LCos chip. It only uses two flat ribbons cables, if that makes you feel better [Wink]

Sony's problems with their SRXD stuff comes from the material used in one of his panels on their optical head not being able to stand the intended use, and degrading over time, leaving the colors from sections of that panel screwed.

Sony thought they could outdo other Lcos designs with their SXRD, but as usual over-estimated themselves and now are paying the price for putting out a technology that, "awesome" as it is, wasn't fully tested. Others have been developing for years and years, much longer than Sony, only to give up as it was too expensive to get it right. Sony came and thought it could outdo them all in no time, but was wrong.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Julio,

The Sony LCOS chips are basically 4-2K chips parked next to each other on one common substrate!! A son'y tech person at Showeast confirmed this for me severl years ago. The assembly is fed from 4 data sources. Just because T.I. hasn't been able to reliable make chips over 2K do you think Sony can? All Son'y's doemn to get around it is park 4 of them in one place!

quote: Julio Roberto
Each wafer produces over 200 working chips
Perhaps on a really good day! However on touchy semiconductor stuff like this it would have to be a really good day!

quote: Julio Roberto
you'll see JVC 8Kx4K imaging LCos chip. It only uses two flat ribbons cables, if that makes you feel better

Actually I believe JVC is ahead of Sony in many aspects. They pulled out of the Cinema end of thigs for the same problem Sony is having... They went back and did their homework and fixed some of but not all of the problem. I'd bet that because of limitations in semiconductor production techniques that you'll also find that the JVC chips are split up the same way... they just do it through the two ribbon cables. Sony could combine theor's into two ribbons I suppose.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: