Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Luminance demonstration for 3D Dcinema

Author Topic: Luminance demonstration for 3D Dcinema
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2009 02:39 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you in California two weeks from now may be interested in assisting this demonstration.

A little networking with industry people and some eye exercising can't hurt [Wink]

http://www.isdcf.com/Public_ISDCF/3D_Demonstration.html

quote:

The ISDCF has arranged for a demonstration of various 3D luminance levels to allow industry professionals to view and understand the trade-offs with different luminance levels. This is not a test and ISDCF will not be making any recommendations at the conclusion of these demonstrations. The single goal is for presentation and open discussion during these presentations as we evaluate the impact -good and bad- of the various luminance levels.

There will be a demonstration of 3D material presented at various luminance levels. This will be shown at the AMC Burbank 16 Auditorium 3 on March 24, 2009. There will be two demonstrations: one at 10 am and a second at 12 noon. The same material will be presented at both demonstrations. If we have too many sign up, we may add a third showing at 8 am.

This is a 35’ screen and we will be showing a RealD / Christie system at 4.5, 6, 10, and 14 ftL luminance. We have clips from many studios including Warner Bros, Pixar, and Dreamworks. This is a demonstration only to educate the community on the issues of 3D luminance.

Directions: Burbank 16
125 E. Palm Ave. , First and Palm, One Blk. North of Olive
Burbank, CA 91502

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-11-2009 07:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope people bring their own light meters and check to see just where they are achieving those light levels and also what the levels are 5% in from the edges of the screen.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-11-2009 06:02 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single projector or dual projector?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2009 07:05 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. Can give them a call or send a mail asking. Being RealD, my guess is that it'll be single projector.

They'll just use RealD's XL light recovery system and I guess Christie will bring some extra bright lamp and people to align the system perfectly with the extra-bright lenses and with a very high gain screen.

I know they can do 9fl on a single projector on XL on the new 1.2" triple flash Christies w/o much efford, but frankly I'm surprised they can do 14fl with a single one, if that is indeed the case. Although a 35' screen is not all that out of the range, so I guess it can be done.

[ 03-11-2009, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-11-2009 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I hope people bring their own light meters and check to see just where they are achieving those light levels and also what the levels are 5% in from the edges of the screen.

Yea, This is the one I reccomended that Steve go to so he can see that at 7fl the color doesn't look at all washed out. And I'd also be willing to bet that every meter there would read one foot lambert different if aimed at the same identical spot on the screen!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: