Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Iron Maiden - Flight 666 - Alternative Content

Author Topic: Iron Maiden - Flight 666 - Alternative Content
Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2009 01:22 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,
I was asked to look into the exhibition in Argentina of the film mentioned. The only thing I was told is that it will be beamed in via satellite. Does anyone know what kind of technology is needed to make this happen?
We will be using a CP2000XB with a CineIPM2K (of course).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Andrés
quote: http://www.artsalliancemedia.com/music/releases.html

Iron Maiden: Flight 666 is coming to cinemas in April 2009

IRON MAIDEN: FLIGHT 666 is a full length documentary film, about first leg of the band’s historic SOMEWHERE BACK IN TIME WORLD TOUR in February and March of 2008, considered to be the most ambitious and adventurous tour in rock history. The film is an intimate and revealing portrait of one of the world’s most successful rock bands and an inspirational and often humorous account of the chaotic world of a band on tour.

Circumnavigating the globe in just 45 days, the band flew in a specially customised Boeing 757 airliner, piloted by lead singer Bruce Dickinson, with the entire tour crew and 12 tons of music and stage equipment on board, to 23 sold out stadium and arena shows in Asia, Australia and North, Central and South America. The band played in 13 countries, also landing in Azerbaijan and Papua New Guinea en route for fuel stops, travelling 70,000km and performing to almost half a million fans – a schedule that was only made possible by having their own “magic carpet” which enabled them to go where they wanted with all the key elements of band, crew and equipment on board one plane, christened ED FORCE ONE.
The film is produced by award-winning Banger Productions, based in Toronto, Canada, who have received international critical acclaim for their previous movies, GLOBAL METAL and METAL: A HEADBANGERS JOURNEY. Filmmakers Scot McFadyen, Sam Dunn and their team bring an intimate behind-the-scenes view of this remarkable journey, with a close look at the logistics involved and Team Maiden in the cockpit, on the plane, on and offstage. The band has rarely let cameras backstage before.

Shot in High Definition, the movie will be released in digital cinemas around the world, with superb 5.1 surround sound, mixed by the band’s producer Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.

Cinemas where you can see this film are to be announced shortly -check back for details and how to book tickets.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2009 12:43 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's like the Metropolitan opera broadcasts we do you'll need a satellite dish installed and the feed run to your booth along with a monitor. You may need a switcher/scaler to get the picture into the Christie, and a Dolby DMA8 or USL unit to get the audio into your system from the satellite tuner or DVR. We have a Barco DP100 and a Barco ACS2408 switcher/scaler and a Dolby DMA8+ with a CP650.In our case the zoom lense really helps match our screen to the HD size.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-26-2009 07:24 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One would think that with a project this huge, they could spring for the cost of say a thousand film prints and release it in more venues. I've got a 2500 seat, 35mm only house. I'd sure like to run it. Bet there other large venue situation that could pull in a goodly chunk of money for the producers. This is the kind of title that do very well in specialized venues.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2009 07:31 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil,
You´ve been incredibly helpful. Thanks a bunch. [thumbsup]

Frank,
I absolutely agree with your appreciations! BTW 2500 seats is more that most complexes I work in! [Wink]

Andrés

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,
Your dish and tuner, are they off-the-shelf or are they a certain brand and model designated by the content provider? Could you provide specs? (in a PM if you want).

Thanks,
Andrés

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dish and tuner were provided by Dish Network, a satellite service in the U.S.. Contact your local satellite TV service and see if they can help you out. I'm not sure of the make/model of our gear, but you have to be a subscriber to get the content. They will supply the equipment to you as part of a package.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2009 03:38 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously a satellite signal destined to cover India or Europe or the USA won't reach Argentina.

But whoever does the physical distribution might have hired a satellite feed for the southern american hemisphere or other territories, but I doubt it. Right now, artsalliance only shows feeds available in India and Turkey, so you can figure where the satellite footprint is.

They may have DCPackages or other means to distribute it to other parts of the world. Ask them or the producer who distributes it for Argentina. But I'm afraid nobody is going to [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: