Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie CP2000-M and hidden bulb cost (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christie CP2000-M and hidden bulb cost
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2009 05:12 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to see if this story makes sense. I was told that the CP2000-M will only take one bulb (and it will be a $1200 bulb). The person that told me this said that for a smaller screen (less than 35 feet) it might be better to buy the CP2000-ZX (especially now that they come with the full resolution 3D capability) and use a 2k bulb that costs around $700. The reasoning was that the ongoing maintenance savings would pay the difference in the projector over not that many years and you'd have a better performing projector (Christie's specs on the website aren't quite as good for the M). Any opinions on this? The auditorium that the projector will go in has a 27 foot wide (in scope) common height screen.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-19-2009 08:20 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar situation. The M version cannot be fitted with Dolby 3D.

I imagine a less costly bulb will be developed for the M, but who can say when.

It is a very new model so if you need to install quickly, I'd go with the ZX

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2009 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 2kw lamp costs about a dollar an hour to operate. However the M can also be the least expensive D-Cinema projector to operate because it also accepts regular Cinema Lamps of the 1600HS and 1000HS type. The 1600HS can light up to a 20 foot matte white screen and make it to well over 23 foot lamberts. I have one in on a 20 foot wide screen at a post facility running a 1600HS and it works beautifully. You just have to get the proiper information fomr your dealer and place the correct size D-Cinema projector on the correct sized screen. The ZX will also accept a plethora of the CXL type Cinema lamps all the way up to CXL-30 and again when placed on the proper sized screen it can be very inexpensive to operate.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-19-2009 10:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie has the adapter needed to allow the M to take a 1600...which means it can also take the 1000W lamp BUT I don't think they have the software set to allow the 1KW lamp and that means that you will likely only be able to get the current down low enough such that the 1KW lamp will be near the top of its range.

So your info on the M is wrong. The special 2KW lamp for the M is just that...special (like there is a special 3KW lamp for the ZX. The M's 2K lamp, the CDXL-20SD is more closely resembles a 1600HS lamp though not the same as that either. For whatever reason Christie isn't listing the options of using "film" lamps in their digital projectors so yes, the info out there is sketchy. On the ZX, I don't know if they have the CXL-16HS on the software list yet so again...you may end up selecting CXL-20 and merely turning the current down as far as it will go (about 1KW).

I think there may be progress on the M getting a Dolby Digital kit but it won't be in the next month or two. It clearly has applications in small screening rooms where the 10000-12000 lumens will be more than sufficient on a smallish screen. Until then, the Barco DP1200 is an option and one can have Dolby 3D built-in from the factory.

Note, the CP2000-M isn't quite shipping yet but it should be very soon.

Steve

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2009 01:05 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Barco has really started to ship the 1200's yet have they? I heard March is when production models when begin to ship.

Chase

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2009 02:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
So your info on the M is wrong.
Actually not wrong... neither lamp is in the software as of yet... you just have to watch your maximum lamp current for now, there are only prototypes operating in the field... the one I installed is SN-4. The M starts shipping in about two weeks and it will be interesting to see if they've incorporated the two HS lamps into the drop down lamp thingy when you go to install a new lamp, if they haven't it'll still work just fine. But as-is the lamp current can go low enough to accommodate either HS lamp. There is also a new Short Gap 1600 watter in the works to fill the gap (pun intended) between the 20SD and the 1600HS. That'll be several months out though.

quote: Steve Guttag
Christie isn't listing the options of using "film" lamps in their digital projectors so yes, the info out there is sketchy.
Actually they probably won't list the cinema lamps that will work... most of them will however and all one need do is contact the appropriate people at Christie and see if they will warrant the lamp as used for that purpose. We have actually tested cinema type lamps for Christie in both Christie and BARCO projectors. Many "CXL type" cinema lamps, 2kw to 6kw will work just fine and they cost alot less to purchase and hence to operate over the lamp life. We have about 50 locations here in the greater SLC running both BARCOs and NEC 2500s that all run with cinema type lamps except the 3-D screens.

Regarding Dolby 3-D in the M... Good luck... Having had one apart to replace an integrator I can say there really isn't room to do it properly. Everything is so minaturized in the M that it leasves no room at all for anything. The wheel if they suceed in getting it in there will end up in the path of incomming glass if and when a lamp explodes. That $15,000.00 wheel will bite the dust!

I spent last Saturday vaccuming up $15,000.00 worth of Dolby 3-D filter wheel bits in a CP-2000. Really, the design of the Dolby Wheel into the CP-2000 is a very poor design and the snood acts like a funnel for the incomming glass during an explosion. There IS a simple and inexpensive fix to prevent this from happenning and I guess those involved were blind as to what might happen.
Anyone intending to go past warranty hours on a lamp say to the advertised average life had better have good extra insurance or expect to get a 20K parts bill to get the projector back up. It'll also be very interesting to see how long it takes before these wheels begin to fade and the quality of the 3-D deterioates. Many many people are going to go into shock when they find out!

-

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-19-2009 09:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the CP2000SB...they do list the CXL lamps. In the ZX they didn't up to firmware 1.1...I don't recall if they made it into version 2.0. However...they have a specal lamp adapter for using the CXL line in the ZX.

As for 15K...on that color wheel...seems rather high to me but I have not looked up the price.

Steve

Note, Dolby has 2 color wheels...one is notably smaller...presummably for the .98" chip projectors.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2009 09:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that that price would be near list... not dealer cost.

Mark

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2009 10:00 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Was that wheel damage caused by a bulb explosion?

If so, what is your solution to avoiding that?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2009 10:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very simple... just another optical flat(ar of course) at the entrance to the snood. There is that U shaped piece the snood is clamped to. That gives at least a couple of inches between the UV filter itself and the beginning of the snood where the flat could be located. Glass fragments velocity after passing through the UV filter would be slowed by the breaking of it and although they may damage an optical flat located further in the likelyhood of obliterating the flat is almost zip. Personally even if the flat eats a half footlambert that is better than loosing the wheel... With the new full frame projectors that half a foot lambert wouldn't even matter. Until there is some improvement in this design (if ever) don't run your 3-D lamps past warranty!

P.S. Even if the AR flat costs 500 bucks thats alot less than the wheel!

Mark

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a similar note with a different projector, the NEC NC800, this apparently uses a special bulb module. Here in the U.K. we have the choice of either an entire new module at a cost of over £2,000UKP, or a re-lamped module at around half the price. Does anyone know if there are other bulbs that can be used in the NC800?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, There are no others that will work. Your CERMAX lamp is modular and pre-aligned. Many projectors use that style of lamp or similar including the Imax MPX projector. The re-lamped version wold be worth a try but be sure it's comming fomr a reputable company and has a good warranty. A lamp explosion even with that type of lamp will more than likely damage other components inside the projector and you need to be sure the manufacturers warranty covers those parts if it explodes while under warranty.

Mark

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2009 03:58 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
It'll also be very interesting to see how long it takes before these wheels begin to fade and the quality of the 3-D deterioates.
The Dolby 3D wheel uses dichroic filters, not dyes, and thus will not fade.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon,

What we were taught in Dolby Training Class is that it is not dye based but it actually has over 50 layers of metal vaporized on it's surface to make up the filter, ditto for the glasses which is why they cost what they do. This multi layered metal is what actually makes up the filters... not some dichroic stuff. Still 15,000.00 is about list price for the wheel and it's clearly over towards the ludicrous side of things for any D-Cinema replacement part. Thats about double the cost of any of the T.I. boards and a little over half the cost of a replacement CP-2000 light engine. If that isn't ludicrous then I clearly don't know what is....

Mark

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2009 08:50 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Dichroic filters" is just another term for thin-film filters.

I'm sure they're using the "If someone's willing to pay, it isn't too expensive" pricing scheme.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: