Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC1600C/NC2500S

Author Topic: NEC NC1600C/NC2500S
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2009 06:01 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks,
We're having two NC1600C's and a NC2500S installed in a month or so.
Does anyone have any experience with these beasts and if so, any pointers on their use?
Justin

|  IP: Logged

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2009 02:20 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on guys....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-09-2009 12:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is that the 2500 is a rats nest inside... like it was just thrown together. A local chain has quite a few 2500's and they've been pretty reliable and the picture is very good. They however do not have the light output the current crop of Christie projectors has.

Mark

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 02:58 AM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use both the 2500 and 1600 where I work.

First off. I don't see much of a need for the 2500 anymore. In our location, we had it installed for the release of Journey 3D. Since the 2500 uses the 1.2" DLP chip, it couldn't handle the full resolution 3D. ( I hear that the new 2500's have a new board that can handle the full resolution) So we basically paid extra money for a projector that can support a 6k bulb instead of the 4.5k bulbs in the 1600. But since we have to scale, we are losing light & resolution. We also had a problem with one of our units detecting the main internal fan. The fan was indeed working fine, but NEC sent us a newer mounting bracket for the fan switch. It has worked great ever since.

If the 2500 still cant support the full 2k 3D resolution I would go with the 1600.

On the 1600, we (and other independent theaters we know) have had problems (notice the plural) with the fan above the light engine. It collects oil which can drop onto the light engine and cause a very large "spot" on the screen. NEC is insisting that it is caused by popcorn oil. We think that is a bunch of bologna. Our 1600s were installed in December, and all 8 of them, including those furthest from the concession stand) had a large build-up of oil on the fans. We therefore think that the oil is coming from the bearings inside the fan. Other independents that we have talked to received a new style of fan from NEC, and they have had no oil build up since.

I also like the 1600s more because the power supply is built into the projector.

One more downfall. Neither model is HDCP complaint, so no Blu Ray.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-09-2009 06:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1600 is HDCP compliant...you MUST use the MM2000, with the HDCP compliant DVI module though. Note, this is the built-in version, not the stand-alone.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kevin Fairchild
NEC is insisting that it is caused by popcorn oil.
It most likely IS popcprn oil. I fond this all the time in lots of different projection equipment. If your popper is not exhausted(properly) to the outside then the equipment will suffer!! Note too that some types of popcorn oil migrate much worse than others do.

Mark

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 11:29 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the deal with popcorn oil getting into the projector compartment anyways.

The only avenue for air to enter into the engine compartment on a Christie projector is through the "operator side" intake, and that has a hepa filter installed. (im only referring to the CP2000 split body, not the ZX or M)

I would expect the same filtration on NEC projectors, is this not the case? Is outside air forced into the compartment unfiltered?

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 01:10 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not having used the kit....the Manual clearly states that inadequate ventilation will cause problems with the cooling....popcorn oil may be a clue?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: