Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Gran Tarino Sound problem at the credits

Author Topic: Gran Tarino Sound problem at the credits
Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone having sound issues with Gran Tarino? I've ingested it in three different auditoriums and about to try it on a fourth and all of them right when it says "directed by" at the begining of the credits I start getting popping in the speakers like someone is taking a jack and unplugging and plugging it in rapidly with amps turned to 10000. In other words its a pretty loud pop. rice crispies on steriods.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-01-2009 05:38 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be on the hard-drive you received that way. Can you get another? If it was a common problem I'm sure we'd have heard all about it by now.

Further, I can't assist sorry, we're only playing it on 35mm.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2009 01:45 AM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Called technicolor today. their saying I'm the first one to report such an error with gran torino. [Roll Eyes]
Their sending me a drive tommorrow. hopefully it was just the drive and it isnt something more....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2009 08:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems with it in Wyoming at the theaters I service.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2009 11:27 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok now I got two other movies with the same popping at the begining and during only the credits....

any ideas??

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2009 01:09 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not with 'Gran Torino' but we had a problem with random noise blasts that turned out to be the digital input card in the CP650.We got new drives and even replaced the server before we tracked it down by replacing everything.We could never "make' it happen, never seemed to be at the same spot.
No idea why it happens to you at the credits.Any chance the automation could be causing noise if you bring up lights when the credits start?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2009 06:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to get your service tech busy! Could also be blown drivers. Have seen alot of them with deteriorating foam surround on the woofers (E-V)... Digital Cinema's dynamic rang can be hard on older drivers.

Mark

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-04-2009 09:56 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But it's only in the credits...and Gran Torino doesn't exactly pump in them during Clint's song.

Have you had anything upgraded in the automation recently or changed anything in the programming?...New dimmers maybe?

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2009 12:17 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert LaValley
ok now I got two other movies with the same popping at the begining and during only the credits....

any ideas??

My first thought after reading this is try cycling your dimmer through its presets during playback (or even with no sound playing but set on your normal playback input) - maybe the mid setting is causing noise for some reason.

Also - what server/sound processor combination do you have? (some of the Cinedigm installs with DTS-6ADs got the wrong analog audio cable installed)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-04-2009 12:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A phase control dimmer would normally cause hum not popping sounds
It could be relay closure noise from automation dry contacts

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2009 07:56 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No idea why it happens to you at the credits.Any chance the automation could be causing noise if you bring up lights when the credits start?
- NA10 and Lutron graphic eye system. Are the automation and dimmers. I don’t believe its that because the sound starts about 1-2 minutes after the light cue.
Time to get your service tech busy! Could also be blown drivers. Have seen alot of them with deteriorating foam surround on the woofers (E-V)... Digital Cinema's dynamic rang can be hard on older drivers.
- New speakers all the way around. New building. We just opened 4 months ago.
Have you had anything upgraded in the automation recently or changed anything in the programming?...New dimmers maybe?
- TI upgrade, Dolby show player, store, library, upgraded software to latest versions on all.
- No new dimmers installed recently.
The popping sounds exactly how it would sound when you are unplugging a microphone or guitar into an amp full blast. That thud of bass..etc etc.
It has recently gone away yet again with new content and re-ingested old content. Technicolors replacement drive worked for Gran Tarino.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: