Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » USL PCA-100 Color Meter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: USL PCA-100 Color Meter
Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 02:41 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have any experience with this meter? I've played around with one once and did not have any problem with it. I know everyone says you need to get a PR-655 but man that price tag is steep. A few people I know that own a PCA-100 has tried it against a PR-650 or PR-655 and got the same results almost all of the time and when it defer it was only by .001 well with in spec.

Chase

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-28-2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using one for years...so long as you keep it in calibration (once-per-year)...it will do just fine for setting up DCinema projectors or comparing different projectors.

Steve

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used one for a couple years and love it, I have also used several PR650s, I find the USL easier. You can get a manfrotto tripod for under $100 that's very compact and light, goes nicely with this unit.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2009 08:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer the USL over the PR-650. Havinng to look at the PR-=650's readout in a dark room and then type the settings into your laptop is a pain! Its a ton easier to read the color data off your laptop screen since you can have the USL program AND the projector set up program open at the same time next to each other. Each USL is tightly calibrated and compared directly to a PR meter before it leaves the USL factory.

Mark

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 09:36 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Do you have a suggestion of where I could get a good price on one at?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2009 09:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call Eric at Claco. 801-355-1250, he'll treat you fairly. We also stock convergence kits for Christie/NEC if you should also need one.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 10:55 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This LINK is worth a look, very small and compact. Uses software on your laptop and plugs in via USB.

We put wireless access on the digitla system network so we can sit in the auditoreum and do the resize, masking, colour measurement etc all from a comfy seat, more importantly with a good audience eye view of the screen.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-30-2009 11:59 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the list price on that?

--jhawk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-30-2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, the USL meter also has the spectral information too...it is quite interesting.

It is nifty that this German meter also support u'v' CIE space though, for now, DCinema is sticking to the x, y space. I would suspect that if u' v' were needed in the future, USL could easily update.

I think a key question here is calibration...who calibrates the German one, what is their reference and how does one go about keeping it in calibration.

Steve

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can convert between any of the standard color spaces without loss, so I'm sure USL could update their software to include CIELUV if there was a call for it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that the USL meter is going up a thousand dollars in March... so get em whle they're cheap!! Also, Stay away from the Sencore Meter... a customer of ours that runs a post facility bought one and it wasn't anywheres nearly as accurate as the USL was.

IMHO, If a meter isn't approved by any of the projector manufacturers or Dolby then its best to stay away from it.

Mark

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What meters are approved?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-31-2009 08:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no list but generally if you ask any of them... Photo Research, USL and Minolta. The Minolta and PR are the two most expensive... they both have readouts right on the meter that about doubles the price over the USL. The Minolta is the most versatile of the lot and can do other a number of types of readings/functions.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2009 12:21 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Each specbos unit holds it's own calibration data, when you plug it in to your laptop, that info is applied to the software.

I'm not certain who calibrates it, probably in house at manufacture, and re calibration is a return to base job afaik.

It was recomended by both Dolby UK and Kinoton, point of fact we got one via Kinoton and had it shipped with a DCP30SX we were about to install.

Mike Best
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2009 04:10 PM      Profile for Mike Best   Email Mike Best   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might want to look at the Klein K10 with the calman professional software.....Accurate and Fast at a Fraction of the cost...

Here is the a link
http://www.sencore.com/products/color-light/186

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: