Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCI Content Creation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DCI Content Creation
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2009 07:24 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have any experience with content creation for dcinema? I'm trying to create a set of ratings tags to run on our 2K system but not having much luck. I've tried to modify the existing XML files for a trailer (Madagascar 2) with the data of my ratings tag but it doesn't work. The problem is twofold:
1. The Dolby Show Store still identifies my tag as Madagascar 2, and;
2. It refuse to load anyway.

I think the problem with #2 is that my tag is in MPG format whereas I need to (somehow) convert it to MXF but I can't figure out the reason for #1. I presume the problem resides in either the UUID or Hash tags??

I've had a look at the DCI Spec v1.2 but it's just a policy document whereas what I need is a practical description of the CPL and PKL files.

Anybody know anything about this stuff or know of any online references they can point me to?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2009 11:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you8 just want to run your on screen pre-show then take a look at Qube Master Express software. Its about 800 bucks. It'll convert almost any type of file to the requisite JPEG 2000 D-Cinema File.
Linky Dink

Mark

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2009 04:56 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link(y dink) for that, Mark. [Smile] Unfortunately, I'll have trouble convincing my employer to shell out the dough for that so I'll need to do it the hard way. That's okay, I'll learn a lot more by doing it manually anyway.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2009 07:40 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about this a little more and perhaps the Show Store identifies my tag as the Madagascar 2 trailer because it recognises the UUID identifiers (which I neglected to change) as those used in the already installed M2 trailer. I will try changing those and see if that works.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-17-2009 11:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks pretty slick to have .. something for anyone to keep an eye on it in the future if needed.

thx-Monte

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2009 06:13 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: Ok, so I've replaced all the UUID identifiers with new unique ones (which can be gotten from here ), noting the duplication of each UUID throughout the ASSETMAP, CPL and PKL files, and now the Show Store is correctly identifying my ratings tag. However, it still won't load as it fails the "verification" check. I suspect this is because I am not feeding it an MXF file or the hash codes in the CPL and PKL files are incorrect (likely) or perhaps both.

It's also possible that my mpeg file will need to be converted to a JPEG2000, as indicated by Mark, but my understanding was that the MXF wrapper should take care of this anyway??

[ 01-18-2009, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Stu Jamieson ]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2009 10:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly...$800 to be able to make your own preshow, snipes or whatever...that is an absolute bargain.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2009 01:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It frees you from paying someone else big bucks on a regular basis. The quality is also very good as long as the original is clean and sharp. Lets see... this software costs about the same as two pre-show projector lamps..... [thumbsup] .

Mark

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2009 12:40 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Qube Master Express, Information on file support is a little vague on their site. Anyone know if it supports HD ts files or backed up dvds.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-19-2009 04:19 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stu

That software could come in very handy and pay for itself in a short while. I'd try and convince them of the possibilties it would open up. In the meantime, if you need some censor tags, just drop me a line and I'll send you copies of the lot.

John

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
If you8 just want to run your on screen pre-show then take a look at Qube Master Express software. Its about 800 bucks. It'll convert almost any type of file to the requisite JPEG 2000 D-Cinema File.
This software isn't $800. I got a price quote for it back in November. Here is a copy of the letter I recieved.
quote:
Hello Kevin,
Qube Master Xpress does support 1080 HD resolution footage and yes I do have an evaluation version that can send to you immediately. The retail pricing for the software is $5,000 per license.

Please call me if you have any further questions.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Hannah Cash - Manager of Sales and Marketing
Qube Cinema, Inc.

Stu, If you find a way to do it manually, please be sure to let me know how! I am very interested.

Kevin Fairchild

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-19-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The retail pricing for the software is $5,000 per license.
Hmmmmm... [Eek!]

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2009 10:56 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hannah Cash - Manager of Sales and Marketing
Now that's an appropriate name!

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2009 06:38 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can probably find all (or at least most) of the information you need plus very useful packing/unpacking utilities on cinecert's asdcplib.

http://www.cinecert.com/asdcplib/

Read their as_dcp.h file in the source.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Alternatively, you can order the SMPTE standards from SMPTE site. They charge around $30 per document. Most relevants would be:

SMPTE 428-1-2006 D-Cinema Distribution Master (DCDM) – Image Characteristics
SMPTE 428-2-2006 D-Cinema Distribution Master – Audio Characteristics
SMPTE 428-3-2006 D-Cinema Distribution Master Audio Channel Mapping and Channel Labeling
SMPTE 428-7-2007 D-Cinema Distribution Master - Subtitle
SMPTE 428-9-2008 D-Cinema Distribution Master - Image Pixel Structure Level 3 - Serial Digital Interface Signal Formatting
SMPTE 428-10-2008 D-Cinema Distribution Master - Closed Caption and Closed Subtitle
SMPTE 429-3-2006 D-Cinema Packaging – Sound and Picture Track File
SMPTE 429-4-2006 D-Cinema Packaging – MXF JPEG 2000 Application
SMPTE 429-6-2006 D-Cinema Packaging – MXF Track File Essence Encryption
SMPTE 429-7-2006 D-Cinema Packaging – Composition Playlist
SMPTE 429-8-2007 D-Cinema Packaging - Packing List
SMPTE 429-9-2007 D-Cinema Packaging - Asset Mapping and File Segmentation
SMPTE 429-10-2008 D-Cinema Packaging - Stereoscopic Picture Track File
SMPTE 429-12-2008 D-Cinema Packaging - Caption and Closed Subtitlt
SMPTE 430-1-2006 D-Cinema Operations – Key Delivery Message
SMPTE 430-2-2006 D-Cinema Operations – Digital Certificate
SMPTE 430-3-2008 D-Cinema Operations – Generic Extra-Theater Message Format
SMPTE 430-4-2008 D-Cinema Operations - Log Record Format Specification
SMPTE 430-5-2008 D-Cinema Packaging - Security Log Event Class and Constraints
SMPTE 430-6-2008 D-Cinema Operations - Auditorium Security Messages for Intra-Theater Communications
SMPTE 430-7-2008 D-Cinema Security - Facility List Message
SMPTE 430-9-2008 D-Cinema Operations - Key Delivery Bundle
SMPTE 431-1-2006 D-Cinema Quality – Screen Luminance Level, Chromaticity and Uniformity
SMPTE 433-2008 D-Cinema - XML Data Types

[ 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 01:35 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Julio. I'll check that out.

@ John: Thanks for the offer, mate. I'll think I'll take you up on that as it will get me up and running very quickly. Sorry it's taken me so long to accept your offer, ironically I've been holidaying in Sydney for the last week and a half - heh, I could have just hooked up with you while I was down there and collected your tags then! Oh well, I'll PM you my contact details.

I'll continue with this little project regardless as there are some invaluable lessons to be learnt from the exercise. I'll post my progress here as it happens. Thanks for all the responses, guys. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: