Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » TI software release v13.02 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: TI software release v13.02
Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 02:46 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Below is part of the summary notes on the software update. Does anybody know anything about this? I'll I can say is WTF, it's little late to be getting into this.

Summary
Fixed bug when selecting 3D input reference "A = Left, B = Right" versus "A = Right, B = Left" for FFIB based systems.

Fixed bug with restoring 3D Active state after reset/powerup

Support for TI Security Enclosure boards

The ability to enable/disable DLP Cinema(R) 3D functionality by the use of secure keys has been added.

The ability to enable/disable DLP Cinema(R) 3D functionality by the use of secure keys has been added.
Encrypted and digitally signed 3D key packages can be obtained from TI for specific projectors identified by TI serial number.
Keys will enable 3D functionality for a time period agreed upon between the purchaser and TI. After this time period the keys will expire, and 3D functionality will no longer be available until a new key is purchased and installed on the projector.
After upgrading to DLP Cinema(R) Release 13.0, a default grace period of 7 months is granted before the 3D Key expires. Reinstalling DLP Cinema(R) Release 13.0 will NOT extend the default grace period by an additional 7 months.

Dynamic memory has been increased for the processor to eliminate a problem of projector resets during subtitle starts. This change makes DLP Cinema(R) Release 13.0 incompatible with Series-0 interface boards.

[ 01-01-2009, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Chase Taylor ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PLease post ALL SUMMARYS pertaining to softeware upgrades... not just the stuff you're questioning. Highlight or put in bold the stuff you're questioning....

I believe this verision of T.I. will also pertain to running 2-D where the key will also now relate to the projector in order to decrypt the incomming data... which now it really doesn't, it only relates to the server itself. In the end it should make the projector DCI Compliant which gets D-Cinema another step closer to its design goal.

Early BARCO DP-100's will require a new card cage backplane to achieve this... a $5,000.00 modification and many hours of labor to install!

Just wait till you get to T.I. verion 14 where....

1. You'll have to get a KDM from Disney to flush the booth toilet [Wink] .

2. The bathroom HAS to be equipped with a Disney approved toilet with usb modem and dedicated Pots line so Disney Distribution can flush it directly.

3. Toilet systems will be required to be plumbed with Disney approved pipe work in the correct Magic Kingdom color scheme [Big Grin] .

Approved toilet paper and roll hanger also required at extra cost... toilet paper rolls must be stamped with Disney approved high resolution photos of Michael Eisner. [thumbsup]

Mark

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark. So by the way I read your post this will NOT be something I have to pay TI for.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-01-2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno...the way I'm reading it...TI is now wanting to collect money on 3D as a separate deal directly with them.

In effect, you bought a projector and, after the fact, TI thinks....hmmmm this 3D thing is a cash-cow...how do WE cut in on it. Disable it after a period of time and charge people to reactivate it. It would be like having to pay Bill Gates every few months for software you already licensed. Depending on the fee, I think TI will find that exhibitors will be more than miffed. At least, with Real-D, there is an actual apparatus you are paying for (and that Real-D has to keep up)...with the projector feature, it is mere software within the projector that you paid quite a tidy sum of money for, already. Furthermore, there definitely has not been full disclosure that the 3D capabilities within these DLP projectors are only activated for a period of time.

Steve

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2009 11:08 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Specking as a theatre owner with one installed and another one on the way. With the amount of money I've spent on these projectors there better not be anyone out there with their hand out because it will get bitten.

In the mean time 12.0 is working just fine and that is where I will stay until this is clarify.

Chase

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Taylor
In the mean time 12.0 is working just fine and that is where I will stay until this is clarify.

I seriously doubt thats what T.I. is after... the revenues gotten from the 1000 or so world wide installs would cost more to collect than they would net! And there's still stacked to go with and they can't stop you there.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-01-2009 12:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the license fee, the break-even point could be very far off versus buying a 2nd projector for 3D.

As for TI trying to get money...well...once you upgrade to TI version 13.xx and beyond, and you will have to upgrade eventually as the source files start asking for DRM from the projector...you either pay-up or its 2D for you. There is nothing to stop them...except possibly litigation. Again, if there is not full-disclosure when you buy a projector that a feature will be turned off at a later date...I could definitely see a lawsuit being made.

One constant thread with DCinema is you get to keep paying for it. I suspect though, if TI is planning on a usage license, it will be dropped like DIVX was for the DVDs because nobody likes to have partners that just take money.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Depending on the license fee, the break-even point could be very far off versus buying a 2nd projector for 3D.

Stacked is still "better" in terms of the 3-D itself. So it all depends on the fees and how good of system the exhibitor wants to have in his auditoriums.

I suspect and perhaps more logically that the 3-D vendors(Dolby, Real-D, Etc.) will be the ones that actually get stuck with any fees if there really are any. Not the exhibitor. Keeping in mind that there are more leased systems out there than owned this could make for a very sticky situation and there would actually be lawsuits flying in many directions at the same time... Also, it my cause the contracts of any leased 3-D systems (the majorioty) to be null and void.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-01-2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not arguing better/worse, Mark...just the $$$$ of it. Two digital projectors cost twice as much as one and one is more money that MOST exhibitors are used to paying for a projector. In terms of service, it is also twice the liability of cost for repairs and twice the chance of a 3D failure. On the upside...for a 2D show...you have more than a spare-tire, you have a spare car.

I like multi-projectors anyway!

Steve

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2009 11:09 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who would I contact to find out what the deal really is, so I can quit worrying.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-03-2009 12:03 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just go ahead and worry. . . . . Steve is exactly right! Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2009 12:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Two digital projectors cost twice as much as one
How come somebody hasn't come out with a stacked 3-D dual projector that's all in the same chassis? That way you could have the same power supply, cabinet, cooling system etc. and use some of the same electronical parts.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-03-2009 02:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure... Sony has but it costs about the same price of buying 4 new Christie ZX's with lenses and puts out about half the light!

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2009 02:29 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that TI wants to make money. But this kind of news is like buying a new car, and then 6 months later, finding out that you are going to have to start paying for 2nd gear. What a joke.

[ 01-05-2009, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Mike Renlund ]

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2009 11:18 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Barco this is just more DCI security stuff, and there will not be a fee from TI. You will however have to get the key from TI. I think you will have to upgrade to 2.0 on the Barco side to injest it.

How much is this going to cost in tech labor for theatres with out one on site.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: