Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby 3D Glasses Dishwasher Chemicals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby 3D Glasses Dishwasher Chemicals
Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2008 10:27 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read a bulletin from Dolby saying they recommend a certain companies low temp dishwasher chemicals because other brands may harm the glasses.

1. Has anyone used another brand besides the Dolby recommended chemicals and actually had the glasses damaged?

2. In theory, what damage will occur?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 11:12 AM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at using alcohol for cleaning, and then a sanitizer to finish it off. Mostly I found that I would be spending more money in wasted chemicals and time (payroll) with cleaning one pair of glasses at a time.

As to damage, there are about 50 layers of coating per lens. By using "unapproved" cleaning material/procedures there is a chance that you could damage the coating...and it might not be noticeable in a visual inspection. It will just make things not look quite right for your guests.

In the long run, I prefer the dishwasher and "approved" chemicals. Less hassle overall. At least thats my opinion.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 11:30 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby suggests using Ecolab chemicals for cleaning.

We have been using Auto-Chlor chemicals without any problems. The rinse aid and sanitizer are usually the same chemicals between brands. The detergent may be something to verify in whatever brand you choose to use.

Matt, I can tell you that the cost of the ecolab chemicals is around the same cost as the other chemical brands out there. Certain business lease their dishwashing equipment and the chemicals are included, and generally are required to use the specified chemicals.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-31-2008 01:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Renlund
In the long run, I prefer the dishwasher and "approved" chemicals. Less hassle overall. At least thats my opinion.

Exactly! And I can add that Mike has had almost no trouble with the glasses themselves. The good part about the Dolby recommended dishwasher is that a wash cycle only lasts for 3 min. That Dolby reccomended dish washer can also be bought at a large discount from restaurant suppliers and even on E-Bay if you are a smart shopper.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-31-2008 02:12 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Proctor is using a different but supposedly adequate dishwasher in new installations and there are some other models as well which are functionally identical if blazing speed is not a requirement. The chemicals are all about the same price. The main risk apparently is spotting which will ruin the lenses very quickly.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 10:19 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input. My theatre is small, and I didn't have adquate space for the Knight dishwasher Dolby recommends, so I have gotten a undercounter model that is slower but basically does the same thing.

My first 3D movie is Bloody Valentine here in a couple of weeks, so I will check into the Ecolab cleaners before the 16th.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-27-2010 11:01 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 634 days since the last post.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2010 11:01 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are using the Ecolab chemicals but there is a serious amount of spots left on the glasses. My wife suggested squirting a small amount of "Finish" into the water before washing, so I tried that with a few glasses last night and....no spots. The glasses look fine otherwise so hopefully this is a solution we can keep using.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2010 06:04 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Finish?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2010 06:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a blue liquid that's meant for home dishwashers. (It actually says "JET DRY" on the label too.) In a home machine, it goes in the "rinse agent" dispenser. I just squirted some into the water tank of our theatre dishwasher (Knight undercounter model) and the spots were gone on the next wash.

I don't know how much is the ideal amount. I probably put about a half-ounce or so into the machine. This is totally an experiment here, but good results so far.

NOTE: We have hard water here; if you have soft water (or a water softener) you may not have this problem.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2010 07:35 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We found that the Kodak lab detergent, Foto-Flo 200 works wonders. Basically it is a detergent without the color or scent of home products. It is also very strong acting. It is intended for addition to the final rinse in film processing. We have used it successfully in washing the crystals on the lobby chandelier. It also works on the glass in the front doors.

KEN

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-06-2013 11:21 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 862 days since the last post.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-06-2013 11:21 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just washed a batch of Dolby 3D glasses, and there are little white spots on them.

I'm using Ecolab chemicals -- the entire setup is per Dolby's instructions.

Didn't used to get these spots before, but it's been a few months since I ran 3D -- which means it's been a while since I used the washer.

Before washing, I always run the washer 3-5 times to clear out all the old water from the pipes and to get the whole apparatus up to temperature. And then I have about 5 batches of glasses to wash. Which means that after about 10 cycles of washing, I'm still getting spots.

Wash temperature is 120F, rinse temp is around 130F.

Mike -- what did your spots look like? Just water spots, or were they actual "white residue" spots like mine?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-06-2013 04:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just water spots. We still get them some days...I have no idea why. Some days the glasses look perfect, other days they are spotty. But the machine seems to leave behind a bit of "film" anyway so we always polish all the glasses. It's a pain in the butt but we get the concession people involved and can do a whole bunch of them fast.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-06-2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Mine have actual white spots. Looks like specks of powder. I suspect it's chemical residue, although I'm not sure which chemical.

I'm going to re-check the dispersion amounts in the morning. I used a test strip for the chlorine and it was below 50ppm, so if that value has drifted, possibly the others have too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: