Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Any experience with Qube Cinema equipment? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Any experience with Qube Cinema equipment?
Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2008 10:14 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like we're going with Qube Cinema for our digital houses. Has anyone here had any experiences with their equipment, for good or ill?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2008 10:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one short experience and it wasn't negative... A local Post House has a Qube... It seemed to work well although the incorporation of Embeded Windows XP IMHO isn't a good thing... XP-Pro is only going to be supported through about 2012. I personally reccomend a Linux box instead... Linux is going to be around for a very, very long time to come. So my reccomendations would be either Dolby or Doremi in that order. Also, the expendature of a gob of money like that should be towards a company with prooven longevity itself. Both Dolby and Doremi have that... Prices on Dolby just dropped drasatically... I mean REALLY drastically! We can sell either the Doremi or Dolby for the same price.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-2008 07:49 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that Qube has been around along time as a encoding box so they will probably hang in

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2009 11:22 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I appreciate your input, but the decision isn't mine, and since our first three screens of digital are going to be Bollywood-only (at least in the beginning), they have to get a system that will be compatible (although the Qube literature reminds you constantly that they are DCI-compliant).

As for the OS issue, thanks but no thanks. Linux is a hobbyists' toy; I would NEVER use it for a business application.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-10-2009 11:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linux is not a toy ti is actually the core of many business networks as is its sister unix and still OS2 windows is the consumer toy

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2009 01:30 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby's show store, Doremi DCP-2000, AccessIT TCC and DTS XD-10's use linux, among many other products in our field.

Why pay licensing fees for an operating system that "is OK" when you can use an OS that is free, stable, and totally open-source. Economically, Linux cannot be beat. That's not to say that it is user-friendly. I've spent a few years trying to learn the ins and outs of linux, and still haven't broke the tip of the iceberg as far as the capabilities. The only thing helping it along are the folks as Redhat and Ubuntu that design GUI's that allow the end user to interact with it like a windows based system. The fact that the QUBE uses XPe is frightening. As Mark says, support for the OS is limited. The core components of linux haven't changed since it's conception. They have been improved and built upon by developers, but the essence stays the same.

I would be surprised to see any device that requires such critical stability try to run on an MS operating system later than MS-DOS. The Christie TPC runs Windows CE and it is sluggish as hell.

Mark, Are you positive that the core of the QUBE server is run on XP? Sometimes the interface is written for a Windows system. The old Doremi DCP-1000 utilized an XP interface, but the system itself still operated under a linux kernel.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2009 07:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one I worked with thats just a block fomr our office is definately XPe. I'm going to see a newer version of the Qube next week so I will report back on what it's running on.

BTW: The original DTS server that was based on a Dell 2950(and which I liked alot) ran on Windows 2003 server. That however is a far more stable Windows environment to be running inside of. It also had a very quick boot up time. I believe DTS made a HUGE mistake by pulling the plug on all that work!

Mark

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2009 06:43 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work with Qube extensively.
They are a reasonable product. I would recommend them.
I am currently working on TMS type functionality with their player.

In terms of Linux and XPe, they are both very reliable operating systems. You should not be questioning either. Both run on millions of embedded devices. XPe is specifically designed to be reliable.

Qube went with Microsoft tech to reduce development costs while implementing a hi-quality product giving you a great product at a very competitive price.

Doremi are a reasonable product NOW, early on it was rubbish.

Dolby are over engineered. Your buying a Ferrari to go down the street, and in the long run, if price is an issue, it will lean more on the pocket. But yes, its probably the best product but your paying for the name.
Personally I do not see any great advantage, and media blocks and how they are developing.. (Ie when considering the new generation) I would not be purchasing the most expensive device when its future is questionable.
Dolby are tying hard. They have basically been turned away by DCI. (Note, Dolby have NOTHING to do with DCI technology, the need for a Dolby logo and the $16,000 licensing just to show it, its OVER. And for the producers, I am very happy. Dolby may have been a rock to the cinema owners, but they abused there monopoly considerably over the years.)
Dolby need to be the dominant player, that is why they are dropping prices. They want to keep the Brand going. Considering the tech they put into their player, they have to charge that much to make it back. But its a lost leader to the need to still be associated with CINEMA. The logo on the back of every DVD and DVD player.. And the licensing they get for this.
Dolby 3D is also my least favourite. Your not only paying for the most expensive 3D system, with nearly the most expensive glasses. With the worst light to screen, meaning you need to purchase the most expensive projector and run it hot in 3D and run it as cold as it can go do 2D. Add the questionable 3D being as popular as Hollywood would like you to believe (Believe history, not what people say). I would much prefer purchase of a duel projector polarizing 3D system. You can move the second projector if 3D fizzes. etc Its a much safer bet and wold cost about the same as a single Dolby 3D setup.

James

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2009 09:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James B Gardiner
Dolby are over engineered. Your buying a Ferrari to go down the street, and in the long run, if price is an issue, it will lean more on the pocket.
Hardly! Thay are using a quite old 3-Ware RAID controller and you're limited to a maximum of around 400gb per drive while Doremi's software RAID is far more flexible and has actually been more reliable. You can go to 1TB drives on the Doremi. Many on this site have experienced the Dolby Red drive light comming on and have then had to rebuild the RAID, while this doesn't seem to be a very common occurance on Doremi's. These days I personally find either server more or less as reliable as the other and as far as pricing goes we can sell the Dolby or the Doremi at exactly the same price.

My only objection to Qube/XPe is that Microsoft stops supporting XP in all shapes and forms in 2012. What do you do then if some unknown bug is discovered in your OS? What would you do if DCI decided not to allow Windows based servers? For all things industrial I still prefer Linux and like Tristian I'm not all that savvy with it but they'll be around supporting all forms of it until our "Numbers Run Out".

I completely agree with you on the Dolby 3-D thing!! Right on!

Mark

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2009 10:21 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby is over engineered in that.
It used 2 seperate PC's compared to the single PC doing it all for everyone else.
Dolby has a very nice and elegant interface. $$$$$$ to make.
compared to more generic ones you get from other vendors.

Now considering, with Digital we want to turn out the lights and not come back until next week to ingest the new features and other content.. Why would I spend all this money on this extra hardware and interface which, in general, I will never look at?

Over engineered....

Interesting about the Hard drive issue..
The Qube has Raid0+1 Striped and mirrored as so it can rebuild without performance hit. (I'm told. never had it need to rebuild. Or I have never noticed it rebuilding...)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2009 06:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there are advantages in the two piece unit. One can swap out the file storage (Show Store) without having to get new KDM's and also having to let all the distributers know you have a different SN unit and so on. Its a hassle just getting a new unit on line with distribution! Have never had a Show Player die. The Show player (DSP-100) is very definately not a PC... its built much more like an industrial type computer. The (DSS-100) or Show Store does utilize a Super-Micro main board but it's a Xeon server board, not a board one would typically find in a PC. I still won't buy the "over engineered" aspect because there are many points of it that could now be re-engineered. I think it is what it is because it is more flexible in some important aspects and because it can be supported longer. (Dolby claims 15 year minimum.)

Doremi is much the same as they also use a Server board (Intel) but they run the software raid 5 for file storage and they place the OS on an SSD seperate from the RAID.

I'm looking forword to working with the Qube next week!!!

Mark

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2009 07:37 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know about your experiences with the Qube, Mark. I'm anxious to learn as much about people's real-life use of the systems as possible.

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 08:24 PM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mark, the general future for a DCI media block is an in-expensive solid state case that has all the security stuff in it. This is, eventually, likely to be a mass market, not so proprietary device as it is now.
Once that is available, ANY PC could drive it. You could get a PC from Dolby, Qube... or really in the future. DELL, HP, IBM. It will become a commodity portion of the projector. And that is what we want as parts etc will be plentiful, cheap and easy to get as its not reliant on any ONE vendor.
This is what you want as a cinema owner.
This is what DCI will go down as the technology DCI uses is NOT proprietary in nature. This was INTENTIONAL, as to avoid the monopolistic tendencies of Cinema in the past.
The industry cannot afford to support such business models any more.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2009 09:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree James! It is the only way to go.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-17-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, My experience with Qube so far this week has been extremely positive. Have gotten to use the newest version of the server and the new remote control is very, very slick. It eliminates the need for keyboard, mouse, and lcd monitor. It functions as a web server so you can log onto it from any PC type computer on your theater's network, or from any internet access point for that matter and operate it through a sort of remote client.

Both Robbie and Rajesh have been extraordinarily helpful as well.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: