Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Bolt 3-D Projection Info (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bolt 3-D Projection Info
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2008 08:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case anyone needs this info or was left out of the chain here is the link... Bolt 3-D Info Link

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 08:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are Xcellent! Thx for the post!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 08:55 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love the how to set up your projector clip. It's so simple even Jimmy can do it [Confused]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 09:35 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the first step of ingesting...

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for the software to tell you if the movie you're copying is too big rather than checking the label on the drive? [sarcasm]Surely computers have gotten to the point where they can check space remaining on one disk compared to space needed for copying something else to it.[/sarcasm]

Assuming the software does that check, it seems to me that is less likely to fail than the possibility of the label being wrong.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason they specified to check your disk capacity, is due to the fact that there are many servers out there, with different capacities.

Most servers WILL tell you if there is enough disk space to ingest the feature you want. The problem lies in the fact that some players will exhibit playback issues if the available disk space becomes too low. Beyond that, I can't really tell you exactly how much space is required on said servers.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 01:47 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest I don't know off the top of my head if we have v2.5 or 2.4 of the AIX TCC but either way Disney's cue placement instructions for v2.4 software seem rather redundant. I fail to see why you need two identical sets of cues, one before the 2D trailers and one after. Also, at least at my location there is no 'open douser' cue, this function is taken care of by the DCA-21 automation.

I don't want ot give anyone bad advice, however, so if you have the v2.4 software make sure you test it both ways. I'd put money on it working with just the one set of cues though.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 08:19 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tristan Lane
The reason they specified to check your disk capacity, is due to the fact that there are many servers out there, with different capacities.
Nonsequitur. It doesn't matter how much capacity the different servers have. Like I said, the server should tell you before you ingest that there isn't enough free space. For instance, I've seen it where on certain systems you could load a movie and it starts writing to disk and only mid-way through does it go "Oh shit, no more free space" then remove everything it had written to give back your free space.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-20-2008 08:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What blows my mind is that at the last minute they come out with a new version of the framing target... This after installing 4 new systems over the last three weeks. I can guarantee you they are probably not going to get re-set for the new target since it also involves days of time just driving to the locations

quote: Chris Slycord
Wouldn't it be more appropriate for the software to tell you if the movie you're copying is too big rather than checking the label on the drive?
There are no other worthy servers in my book other than Dolby or Doremi. Both Dolby and Doremi will give you a pop up and ask you to delete the oldest content to allow adding the new content once the server has read the directory on the hard drive to be ingested. Doremi also has a small box that shows the amount of storage space left in GB. Of the servers out there Dolby has the least amount of room available. Doremi will pretty much give you as much storage space as you want when you order the server and they can use up to 1TB drives. Dolby is limited in drive size to around 400gb because of the bios on the 3-Ware RAID card. you CAN use larger drives but the RAID card won't recognize them and will format them to it's preset size. At any rate it doesn't really matter much in a large plex how much server space you have since normally you also have one or two library servers and can freely move content around.

Mark

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3.5-5.5 fL is their target range??

Get ready to hand out free passes for eye strain.

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 02:01 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I liked the "Only use a bulb with at least 600 hours remaining and that has ran at least 100 hours" part. Reminds me of the instructions that came with Star Wars (and occasionally other movies) that says, more or less, "WE WILL EAT YOUR SOUL IF YOU DON'T RUN THE VOLUME AT 7!!!!!11!111!

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 02:51 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, 3.5-5.5 FL is standard for digital 3D. That is running a 6500W lamp on a 35-40 ft screen. I'd hate to see it on a 50 ft screen, which is the screen size limit Real D claims for their current system.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 08:24 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of 5:00 pm west cost Bolt had brought in 1.5 million while Twilight total was up to 12.1 million. Bolt is preforming at 1/7 what the opening day for High School Musical 3 was. This is the 3rd or 4th film released in 3d in digital theaters this year that has flopped. Is it unwise to release them in 3d only in Digital houses? Should they just drop the 3d it doesn't seem to be working!

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Jimmy" reminds me of one of several reasons I decided to NOT persue becoming a booth tech: I would receive calls from people - often managers - just like "Jimmy."
Makes me ponder if "Jimmy" actually dresses himself...

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2008 03:26 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, maybe it's not a good movie, or just MAYBE people don't want to pay the extra money theaters are charging for 3-D. Doesn't mean that nobody wants GOOD movies in 3-D at reasonable prices!

I was hoping those videos would show how to run a digital show on those 2 projectors with changeovers.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2008 11:48 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Jack, 3.5-5.5 FL is standard for digital 3D. That is running a 6500W lamp on a 35-40 ft screen. I'd hate to see it on a 50 ft screen, which is the screen size limit Real D claims for their current system.
It may be standard, but that doesn't mean it's right. 3.5 fL is a really DIM image, and a dim image is one of the contributing factors to eye strain in 3-D (aside from synchronization and phase issues).

RealD on a 50-foot screen is a bad idea. A dim, less-than-HD-resolution 3-D image on a 50-foot screen is no good. At 50 feet, you're talking super eye-strain for about the front 1/3 of the audience. Their eyes are going to be ripped apart trying to converge the images so far apart.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: