Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Anyone else have problems with NCM?

Author Topic: Anyone else have problems with NCM?
Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the right forum for this... but Regal contracts out its digital preshow to National Cinemedia. For the most part, things work great, every now and then I call support to say something's frozen or starting early and they reset the projector.

But if its anything other than that, they type out what's wrong and send our tech out. I feel bad because sometimes its something simple and he's just driven 3 hours to fix a plug or press a button. There seems to be a very limited amount to what support can do then its just "Well, I'll write a ticket for this and send your tech out."

I'm just glad our theatre doesn't run open caption shows.

|  IP: Logged

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2008 01:24 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have "technical" problems per-se with NCM pre-show as much as content. There's this lego ad that is just terrible as for its resolution so it looks like it is out of focus. I contacted NCM but they say that is the best that the producer of the content provides. Bleh.. other then that though I have no problems.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experiences with them were underwhelming. They continually resized the image of their DLPs, and it was always wrong. There was a recurring issue with sound lagging behind picture during the preshow as well as during an alternative content event (the event had to be restarted, and still did not play correctly; a whole theater of people had to be refunded), as well as a few other issues. I mostly like their content, but was never really satisfied with the technical end of their operations.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-17-2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No major problems in my experience. All the techs in the field and at the NOC have been generally friendly and helpful.

Sure, the content freezes sometimes, and a lot of times they will send out a tech to do something easy like replacing a cable. But, as a former Regal employee myself, let me recommend that you not step outside your regular duties and attempt to fix the NCM equiptment yourself.

The Cinemedia techs and the Regal techs wont look kindly on your "tinkering". If there's a problem, call the NOC, log it, and if it effects your ability to advertise in an auditorium, put it in the daily overview. That's all you need to do, and your covered.

Ryan Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2009 10:28 AM      Profile for Ryan Thomas   Email Ryan Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 01-23-2009, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Thomas ]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-20-2009 11:31 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you! [thumbsup]

Commercials before the feature suck anyway.

[Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: