Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » LCD projector failed

Author Topic: LCD projector failed
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 07:24 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Sanyo PLC-XP46 Projector fitted with a custom lens for pre show and a few special movies on DVD. Its had about 300 hours of use. I bought the projector exactly 5 years ago to replace a slide projector we'd been using for pre show. When I contacted Sanyo, they told me that they no longer support this model because its been out of production since 2006. They said they might be able to find me a "b-stock" unit thats similar in specs, but it would cost nearly as much as a new projector.

The projector shows what looks a lot like old fashioned "tv snow". The snow is there when you choose any of the input selections. I took the cover off the unit and checked most of the connections, but couldn't make the image change.

Any recommendations on who may be able to repair the projector? Should I just bite the bullet and purchase a new projector? Any recommendations on what projector to buy?

Is this 5 to 8 year lifespan what we are going to be looking forward too with DLP cinema projectors?

Steve

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-14-2008 08:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...first off, Sanyo has a 3-year warranty on their projectors...so if the last one came off the production line in 2006, they are still fixing them under warranty until 2009.

Did you actually call their QRP facility?

Sanyo Repair Request Page

Follow the link above, if you haven't done so already. The few times we have needed Sanyo for service, they were very fast and helpful. Including out-of-warranty items.

Steve

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 05:44 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, thanks for the link. I'll check with Sanyo directly (myself) on Monday. The dealer I purchased said projector from told me that he called Sanyo and that they said it was no longer supported. He may be just trying to move new equipment.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: