Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Repertory Titles In Digital (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Repertory Titles In Digital
Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any know if you can book Repertory Titles in Digital. The one I'm looking for is "Polar Express". WB Classics is saying they can't book it in digital just 35MM.

Chase

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 11:33 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems very odd given that POLAR EXPRESS was released digitally. I can understand if you were asking for a title that never was transfered to digital, then sure they wouldn't accomodate. It costs the studios, depending on the length of the feature and assuming they have viable a viable internegative, between $2,000 and $5,000 for a 35mm print (that was a figure I heard a few years ago so it might even cost more today). But it cost's much more to make a digital print from existing elements. Any studio will weigh what it costs to make a "print" (either film or video) against the potential for return, i.e. profit, and that will determine if they will go through the expense of supplying an exhibitor with either format.

Chances are, if they are not willing to spend the money to strike a 35mm print because there are not enough art houses that will book it, then it is almost certain that they will not go the even more expensive route of mastering a digital print.

At least for now, the number of art theatres that are equipped with digital are few, which means that the digital print has even less of an earning potential than a 35mm release print, makine the chances of them accomodating a request for a digital print even less likely. An arthouse would probably have a better chance of getting the license for playing a Blu-Ray version than the studio shipping them a hard-drive of a classic title.

But like I said, POLAR EXPRESS was a digital release so if WB won't let you play it in digital, then you'll have to chalk it up to just another one of those Alice in Wonderland decisions that are part of our delightful industry. What's the objection to playing it in 35mm?

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 12:36 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 35MM prints have probably been run 4,000 times by a 16 year old with no experience, I know a digital print will look great. I hope someone knows what to do, there has got to be a way?

Chase

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2008 12:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If the movie was released to theaters previously then the effort to make a digital "print" is fairly inexpensive, as the files only need to be transferred to a hard drive and a key created.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-10-2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The again, the question is...where does the studio store the digital files and how big a pain is it to transfer those files to a shipable disc? On the other hand, they have 35mm prints struck for worldwide distribution...it is a mere matter of pulling one and sending it out. It already exists. This is not the case for a digital version...they don't keep hard drives with pre-existing titles on them store away...perhaps they should.

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-10-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Portable hard discs for D-cinema purposes are used repeatedly to store different movies, so there's not going to be lots of hard discs just laying around with one movie on them tucked away in some facility somewhere.

It would make sense for movie distributors to keep back up copies of movies in JPEG2000 d-cinema format so they don't have to go back to the original uncompressed digital intermediate masters to re-encode a new JPEG2000 dub. I have no idea if they're doing that already or not. Any recent movie is going to have a lot of archival digital data for various uses, including HD and SD home video uses.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-10-2008 02:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Polar Express released for 2K DLP or 1.3K? If the latter, maybe there isn't enough demand to justify going back to the original scan and re-encoding it for 2K.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2004 2K

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Variety had an article a year or so ago reporting that digital masters were showing signs of degradation after less than 9 months. It may just be that the studios made no plans (we know they are so foresighted) for rep releases of digital.

Or they are just lazy or lying;>

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 02:35 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone run the digital "print" of "Adventures of Robin Hood"? I am wondering how it looked. They debuted it at Arclight Cinerama Dome in September of 2003.

They really should digitize the old classic 3-D films of the 50s. I know there was a thread about it a while back but they REALLY ought to do that. "House of Wax" in 3-D would likely be a nice moneymaker considering how inexpensive it would be to distribute.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2008 03:01 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it would cost more than it would be worth just to digitally render it over to 3-D.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-11-2008 03:26 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it is worth, I saw House of Wax in interlock 3D last week at the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor. Looked fantastic. Only a little dirt and flawlessly presented.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
Actually it would cost more than it would be worth just to digitally render it over to 3-D.
What needs to be rendered? It's already in 3-D.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2008 05:37 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD looks beautiful, either in digital or film printed from the digital file. The improved registration of the Technicolor negatives brings out a sharpness that could never before be seen due to printing limitations.

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets not forget that there was also a digital Polar Express 3D released in IMAX, last year.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: