Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "Sing-a-Long" version of High School Musical (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Sing-a-Long" version of High School Musical
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 09:52 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else getting this "Sing-a-Long" version of High School Musical (it has the lyrics written out at the bottom of the screen)? This is in our single D-Cinema house.

We are having a problem with the subtitling...The lyrics get cut off at the bottom of the screen.

Adjusting the lens does no good...You can actually raise the image until you see black at the bottom but the words are still cut off.

That is, the image as it leaves the lens already has the words cut off so it is not a masking issue or a lens issue. It seems that the image is already cropped too much to see the words not matter how the lens/masking is adjusted.

You can make out some or most of the words...But the bottom half of many words are cut off.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Server is a Doremi DCP2000
Projector is a Christie CP2000-S

The correct program (#1) and the correct format (1.85) are selected.

The correct pixel count (1998 x 1080) is selected.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming the original file is ok, it sounds like your tech didn't properly center things when he setup your projector. For example, you could've been given a lens outside of the zoom range of your screen and you are cropping on all sides, yet it is still a 1.85 aspect ratio image. Or you masking system may have a 2:1 aspect ratio, etc. Try it in another house.

Benjamin John Doman
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 11:15 AM      Profile for Benjamin John Doman   Email Benjamin John Doman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carey,
I’ve seen this on a Barco showing subtitles with a doremi server. In that case the active area had not been set. Picture was fine, but the projector was showing the subtitles along the bottom of the chip, rather than bottom of the picture! Set the active area to the correct ratio and the titles will be within the picture area. I don’t know about the Christie, but on the Barco’s this is in the PCF file, so may need an engineer to change it. For the record, active areas are:
1.33 – 1440 x 1080
1.78 – 1920 x 1080
1.85 – 1998 x 1080
2.35 – 2030 x 1080 (x1.25 anamorphic)
2.35 – 2048 x 870 (letterbox)
Regards, Ben

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 12:44 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips gentleman...

Brad - This is our only D-Cinema house so I will not be able try it in another house.

This set up uses the same lens for both flat and scope. I can rotate the lens to make the image larger or smaller, but I do not get any more actual image. The letters are equally cut off no matter how I rotate/adjust the lens.

Ben - The 'active area' thing makes some sense, but I think you are right in saying that I would probably need a tech to adjust this. I will say that the pixel area is set at 1998 x 1080, which is what the hard drive lists as the correct pixel count.

Thanks again,
Carey

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't already. Try running the content in 1920 X 1080.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 01:28 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl --- Yes, I did try it at 1920 x 1080 (and several others) but none of the different pixel counts seemed to improve things.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a possibility that the picture may have been over cropped by the electronic aperture feature for some reason or another. I would get a tech out to check for cropping issues. Also there was a feature 2-D framing chart included with the HSM3 content. Make sure that your image meets this charts specs.

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a similar problem with satellite content plyed on CP-2000. YOu need to readjust the aspect ratios, you might consider saving it as a different file then what you normally would. YOu might have to advance/retard your lens to make the image smaller when you do this. Call your Christie Tech, most know the equipment well enough to walk you through it on the phone.

Benjamin John Doman
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 01:08 AM      Profile for Benjamin John Doman   Email Benjamin John Doman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carey,
Not being familiar with the Christey I couldn’t say if the pixel count is the same thing or not. If you think of the digital subtitled print not like 35mm where the subs are etched on the frame, but where the picture and subtitle image are two different files. The, say 1:1.85, picture (with all its associated masking, colour space etc files) is projected somewhere within the chip. The subtitles are being told to projected at the bottom of the image. But, if you have not told the projector that you are only using part of the chip, it assumes that the bottom of the picture is the same as the bottom of the chip. If you have the film running on 35mm in another screen, have a look and see if the image looks the same size. If the digital image looks the same size, but the subs are off the screen, I would bet that this is you’re problem. Changing the ratio etc not fixing it is a good indication.
Regards, Ben

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't give a rats ass about a sing along version of this garbage... but I can certainly envision an upcomming 3-D version that would have them comming out of the screen and dancing down the isles!

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info guys...I will pass this on to our tech because this stuff concerning the chip is outside of my knowledge.

Also, I just realized that this should have been posted in the "Straight-to-Video" forum. Sorry 'bout that and thanks to the moderator for moving it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fred Tucker
have had a similar problem with satellite content plyed on CP-2000. YOu need to readjust the aspect ratios, you might consider saving it as a different file then what you normally would. YOu might have to advance/retard your lens to make the image smaller when you do this. Call your Christie Tech, most know the equipment well enough to walk you through it on the phone.

The proper way would be to set up another channel completely for the different aspect ratio and change the labeling on the button to say what it is for... don't go in and change any current settings on normally used channels. Let your service tech do that. only is need be. Also use the framing chart or the appropriate Dolby screen chart to ensure what area of the image you are projecting.

Mark

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been told this may be a masking issue (though your description seems to indicate not), Ill see if we can get a guideline posted here from the Lab for settings to resolve this issue. In the meantime if you have any questions please contact the AccessIT NOC at 1-888-367-2360.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 06:10 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tried reproducing the problem in our lab unsuccessfully, I would contact your digital integrator/tech to see if they can take a look at your projector settings.

Todd

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Todd - Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

UPDATE: Our Christie tech came out a few days ago and fixed this (thanks Tom Wolf). I was not there when he fixed it so I have not had a chance to find out exactly what the problem was.

I will try and post the solution here in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: