Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Does the Christie CP-2000 ZX Do full Resolution 3D?

Author Topic: Does the Christie CP-2000 ZX Do full Resolution 3D?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2008 11:31 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the CP-2000 ZX using the new 1.2" DMDs that can do full resolution triple flash 3D?

|  IP: Logged

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ZX uses the .98 chip, which can process 3D at full res and triple flash.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2008 11:52 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the M is the only Christie with the .98" chip and the ZX and SB are getting the latest 1.2" that can do full res triple flash.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-17-2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tristan would be wrong. The CP2000-ZX is a 1.2" machine. At the moment, it can not do full-res triple flash 3D. However, Christie does plan on incorporating that into all of their 1.2" machines as well as offer an upgrade path for existing machines.

This is not to be confused with version 2 chips due out next year (which will also dull full-resolution triple flash but with added DCI security features).

Steve

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2008 01:38 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's right. I was somehow under the impression that the ZX as a .98 machine. Sorry for the misinformation.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2008 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Steve would be wrong... Christie will be shipping ZX's with the new chipset in November, CP-2000's in December. They used two CP-2000's with the new chipsets at Showeast to run 3-D at the usual AMC Theater.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2008 06:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is wrong with you Mark? I was not wrong...Christie is NOT currently shipping with the new chipset...they WILL be incorporating it into all of their 1.2" machines. I merely didn't specify the ship date(s).

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2008 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing at all wrong Steve... its obvious you didn't fully read my post. I stated when they will be shipping... which is not next year. I don't think thats too difficult!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another newbie question here: What's is triple flash?

Figured to better learn this new stuff while I can so when the time comes to apply this digital technology, I can be a bit ahead of the pack.

thx-Monte

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I did read your post...you didn't read mine. The version 2 chips are not shipping until next year...however triple-flash version 1 chips are going to be shipping later this year (for Christie).

You clearly don't seem to make the distinction.

Monte...triple-flash refers to a 3D process where each eye is flashed three times in a LRLRLR fashion to reduce the sequential nature of the 2K 3D presentation. The 144Hz rate exceeds the capability on the older 1.2" design at full resolution. As such, the resolution is reduced (with either a change in the lens or, if there is enough range, a zoomed out image) to make up the difference. The new 1.2" chips due out this year will fix that. The .98" chips never had the problem.

Steve

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2008 11:29 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason during the introduction of the machine, I heard someone tell me they were .98 projectors and that information stuck. In fact a few industry folks I've worked with also had the same idea that the ZX was capable of full-res triple flash. I just assumed that meant it had the .98 based engine. It appears that both of those ideas are wrong.

Can anyone who has worked with the machines tell me if the ZX projector uses the same EFIB and Formatters as the SB or XB?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-20-2008 11:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Can anyone who has worked with the machines tell me if the ZX projector uses the same EFIB and Formatters as the SB or XB?
[/QUOTE

Yes, the light engines and associated parts are the same in the ZX and CP-2000SB. The interface cards are very different though.
Mark

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When doing reduced resolution for triple flash, what is the resulting resolution for both scope and flat 3D?

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-21-2008 05:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the max resolution is 1080 x 1800 in triple flash with current 1.2" chips. Thus, the limiting factor is the 1800 pixel width...the vertical resolution is a scaler representation of that for 1.85 and 2.39 respectively.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: