Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » D5 Projection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: D5 Projection
Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 10:50 AM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize if I am ignorant about this subject and have posted this in the wrong forum (I have already pretty much been called ignorant by someone from a major studio starting with a W), if I have please move it accordingly.

I got an email to book a press screening for a film that could only be played in the D5 format. I have never heard of this format before so I told them that I didn't have the capabilities but I know that a few theatres in town had the capability of showing Digital, Reel D, etc. (assuming that it was probably some sort of digital projection). The woman from the advertising company then contacted EVERY theatre chain in the city to see if they had these capabilities, no of them do. She then contacted the studio to tell them this and that she had a bunch of different formats she could book in and if one of those happened to be D5 then she could book it. We both received a rather rude email indicating that everyone in the city needed to "educate themselves" on this format. So here I am. Can someone help me out? I've been doing this business for 5 years now and I have never heard of D5.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D-5 is a digital videotape format that can hold standard or high-definition video. You should be able to rent a D-5 HD deck and connect it to your projector with HD-SDI.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:15 AM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So is it similar to Beta, DigiBeta, BetaSP, etc?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D5 is a not widely used digital cassette format. Note that there are different flavors of D5, each not compatible with each other. For example there is D5 standard definition and D5-HD, which itself has serveral variations. You will need a playback deck that is compatible with the format the tape is recorded in. Check out this link for more information.

I suppose I am confused as to what you are trying to screen. Is this a commercial film? You will not find it in D5 format anywhere. Is this an independent film (video) project? If so, then why are you trying to obtain it from a studio?

My suggestion is that rather than go down this road, you inform them of what formats, film and video, that your theatre supports and leave it too them to convert it.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:28 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in that it's a professional video format. Find out what format the tape is in (is it 1920x1080 consumer HD or 2k?), then contact your local broadcast/production rental house and they should be able to take care of you.

Mitchell: It sounds like he's been contacted to book a press screening at his venue.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:30 AM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell,

This is a commercial film being distributed by a major studio. I'm a bit perplexed as to why they are only doing press screenings using this format as I know for a fact that they will be distributing it in 35mm. We usually do about 3-5 press/trade screenings a week and this is the first time EVER I have heard a studio requesting this format.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:33 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like he's been contacted to book a press screening at his venue.

That is what is confusing me. If they are supplying the film/tape, why does he need to contact the studio for a copy. If he needs to obtain the copy from the studio, why not just book it in a standard format? If the film is not finished, the studio is not going to send out elements in a non-standard format.

Again, notify the studio that you are holding the press screening and find out what formats the film can be booked in. The "press" people are probably clueless as to the technical aspect of the show.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell,

Just to clarify, when called and ask if they could book this particular press screening at our venue they asked if we could screen it in D5 as it is the only format that they will be doing press screenings on. So since my theatre nor ANY theare in city is able to do this none of the press in this city will see the film before it comes out.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D-5 is a standard post-production format, but it sounds like this "advertising" person referred to is either crazy or clueless.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 11:41 AM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I feel like we are going in circles here or perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Studio contacts Ad Agency to book screening.
Ad Agency forwards me the email asking if we have the date available and if we can screen in D5.
I reply to Ad Agency saying no we can't and that she would need to check with other theatres in the city.
Ad Agency emails Studio back with note that no one in the city is capable of playing that format.
Studio replies saying that since no one in the city knows of the format nor can play it that it can't be screened for the press in this city.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-14-2008 11:52 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely your tape will be at a data rate of 1080 / 23.98psf with a track set-up of L/R/C/Sub/LS/RS from the XLR's on the back of the deck.
In Post=Production we do alot of D5 screenings and HD-CAM SR and HD-CAM too. Most post-houses format the D5 screening tapes at 23.98PSF, but it can be 24P or 59.94 too. Above is the standard track layout for channels 1-6 with sometimes an LT/RT on tracks 7 & 8.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-14-2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do D5 decks do 3:2 pulldown internally, or does a 23.98PsF tape require a projector that can display the format natively?

I've never seen a D5 deck and, to my knowledge, none are available for rent in the Boston area.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 12:39 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I suggest you get yourself out of the middle of this. Inform the add agency of what film/video formats you can support. It is then between them and the studio to figure this out. If the studio's choice is not to hold a press screening, then that is their choice.

I tend to agree with Scott. Outside of major production cities, you are unlikely to find a D5 deck for rent.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-14-2008 01:12 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In most areas the D-5 deck rents anywhere from $1000-$1400 a day.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-14-2008 01:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Patrick Matthews
...We both received a rather rude email indicating that everyone in the city needed to "educate themselves" on this format....AND.....Studio replies saying that since no one in the city knows of the format nor can play it that it can't be screened for the press in this city.

I'd tell them to go pound sand. I am more than willing to help out and accomodate a studio's request when they act in a civil manner. Get rude with me and you can go play your crap elsewhere. [fu]

THEY are the ones who need to educate themselves on what formats are readily available to the average cinemas and if no theatres in the city can accept the format, then THEY need to provide a copy in a format that can be shown!! It would be no trouble at all for them to author a standard DVD for the press screenings, if they weren't so lazy or stupid.

Edited to add: And if they insist on playing it in D5 then it's their responsibility to rent the deck for the screening!!

Another example of how the stupidity of the studios is gonna bring this industry down.. [sex]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: